Pre Cruise Hotel San Diego

mame42

San Diego is one of the easiest ports to arrange on your own. The airport is about 2 miles from the pier. There are 8 or 10 hotels literally within walking distance of the ship. The taxi ride from airport to the furthest hotel from the port and airport was $14, before tip, last February. 

You would probably save hundreds of dollars arranging this on your own.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

San Diego is one of the easiest ports to arrange on your own. The airport is about 2 miles from the pier. There are 8 or 10 hotels literally within walking distance of the ship. The taxi ride from airport to the furthest hotel from the port and airport was $14, before tip, last February. 

You would probably save hundreds of dollars arranging this on your own.

Agree!  Take a taxi from the airport to the hotel for $20 and walk to the pier the next morning (very close from a number of hotels) is less expensive and quicker IMO than using the HAL transfers/hotel options.  Plus some include a free breakfast before your cruise.

• Like 2

Don't know what HAL uses, but I stay at Springhill Suites Bayshore across the street. If one gets a bay view room, can watch the ships come in as well as gauge when to walk over. Have also stayed at the Hampton Inn which is a little further away but still walkable.

• Like 2

We booked thru Holland America for our 17 day Panama Cruise from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale.    They use the Sheraton Marina - 1380 Harbor Drive.    When we first signed up we were told Hollands block of rooms was full and we were waitlisted.      About a month or so later we were notified that rooms became available - it was $340 for 2 people thru Holland and that included transfer from the airport to the hotel (which is already free if you book yourself) and then also the transfer from hotel to ship in the morning.    There was a convention going on and the hotel was very crowded - we checked in around 7 pm and there were probably 30 people in line behind us when we were thru.    Although we were able to walk around the marina area and check out yachts and such we were not happy with the room we got.    I had checked out reviews before we left and the Lanai Towers were reported to have musty smell.    We were in a first floor room and as soon as you opened the door - you could smell it.   Luckily we travel with a can of aerosol room spray and after spraying the room and bathroom - it was fine.    If they put you in the Bay Tower I heard that is fine.    In the morning we took a walk around the grounds and along the bay and could see the ships that were in port.    Transfers all went smoothly.  Hope this helps in your quest for finding a room.    In the future I think we would probably book our own and pay for the transfers at another hotel.   

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, maryandmarge said:

We booked thru Holland America for our 17 day Panama Cruise from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale.    They use the Sheraton Marina - 1380 Harbor Drive.    When we first signed up we were told Hollands block of rooms was full and we were waitlisted.      About a month or so later we were notified that rooms became available - it was $340 for 2 people thru Holland and that included transfer from the airport to the hotel (which is already free if you book yourself) and then also the transfer from hotel to ship in the morning.    There was a convention going on and the hotel was very crowded - we checked in around 7 pm and there were probably 30 people in line behind us when we were thru.    Although we were able to walk around the marina area and check out yachts and such we were not happy with the room we got.    I had checked out reviews before we left and the Lanai Towers were reported to have musty smell.    We were in a first floor room and as soon as you opened the door - you could smell it.   Luckily we travel with a can of aerosol room spray and after spraying the room and bathroom - it was fine.    If they put you in the Bay Tower I heard that is fine.    In the morning we took a walk around the grounds and along the bay and could see the ships that were in port.    Transfers all went smoothly.  Hope this helps in your quest for finding a room.    In the future I think we would probably book our own and pay for the transfers at another hotel.   

Thank you.  That helps.

46 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Thanks, all.  Unfortunately, I am looking at the possibility that walking may not be an option due to mobility challenges.

I recall that Wyndam (across the street) and the nearby Hampton offered to shuttle us to the pier for no charge.  Might want to check that out.

4 hours ago, maryandmarge said:

I'm pretty sure hal has used this hotel for a very long time.  I remember nothing much being around there.  I don't recall the op asking for suggestions so thank you for answering because I was trying to remember the name of this hotel.  

4 hours ago, Skipper's Mom said:

We also ubered from the hotel to Ruth's Cris restaurant (very pricey!).

Ruth's Chris is directly across from the port.  Was that trip more expensive than your uber to the port from the hotel?  Uber has gotten much more expensive here in the past two years.

Before COVID, our uber from home to the port was ~$7 (for an 8 minute trip).  We'll see what it is this Saturday....we are only 2 miles away.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:40 PM, Skipper's Mom said:

We've stayed at the Horton Grand twice.  You can uber from the airport to the hotel and hotel to pier.  There are many restaurants close by.  I don't recommend the one adjacent to the hotel.  We also ubered from the hotel to Ruth's Cris restaurant (very pricey!).

We also stayed at the Horton Grand and really liked it.  Easy walk down to USS Midway and other things.  The bar/bbq restaurant that the Top Gun bar scene was shot (rebuilt the original building burnt down) was a nice casual place to eat.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:40 PM, Skipper's Mom said:

We've stayed at the Horton Grand twice.  You can uber from the airport to the hotel and hotel to pier.  There are many restaurants close by.  I don't recommend the one adjacent to the hotel.  We also ubered from the hotel to Ruth's Cris restaurant (very pricey!).