keyless entry info please

Carol28

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

MSC already has the same thing.  Also while very doubtful, any cruise line is welcome to work a deal to license this or just copy the tech and pay the infringement fine 

Yep, I tried the band on the MSC Meriviglia. I’m not sure how their band avoids the patent that Carnival has. Here is an article talking about the two. https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/msc-cruise-ships-wearable-tech-meraviglia-seaside/

4 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Yep, I tried the band on the MSC Meriviglia. I’m not sure how their band avoids the patent that Carnival has. Here is an article talking about the two. https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/msc-cruise-ships-wearable-tech-meraviglia-seaside/

I'm not a patent expert but am sure you can't patent the whole idea of wearable devices that transmit to proximity sensors; perhaps the looks of the medallion itself and software system.  Also, these are foreign flagged vessels that sail in international waters.

Overall point being if RCL/X wanted these, they would have them

On 11/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, Essiesmom said:

Hmmm…it would be nice if you could configure your smart watch to do it.  Just wave it at the lock, like I did my bracelet on MSC. If my iPhone can do it, I’ll bet my Apple Watch can, too.  EM

It definitely can, the problem is Celebrity doesn't support it. Currently you have to unlock through the iPhone app which works differently than if you had a key in your Apple Wallet. To use the Apple Wallet just like you would use Apple Pay, you don't need WiFi or cell signal at all. The technology is used all over the place, they just need the right app setup to support it. 

20 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Carnival Corp has massive patents on lockdown for this technology so don’t expect it to come to Celebrity, Royal, or any other cruise line anytime soon. 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-Corp-wins-patents-for-Ocean-Medallion

That article is from 2018. Slightly out of date information, no?

2 hours ago, Guindalf said:

That article is from 2018. Slightly out of date information, no?

Yes it's old but like the other poster said, patents last a very long time.  I was merely just pointing to an article that talked about the patent that Carnival holds.

Didn't Royal Caribbean used to have Wow bands?  I wonder why those were discontinued? Or did those not open your cabin door?