Soft Ice Cream or Hard Ice cream

lenquixote66

44 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I prefer hard ice cream but being an ice cream addict either is okay.

Hard ice cream for me.  I grew up on Dairy Queen.  And, it was good.  But, on very special occasions, Mother would buy a carton of Lady Bordon.  That was even better.  

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Hard ice cream for me.  I grew up on Dairy Queen.  And, it was good.  But, on very special occasions, Mother would buy a carton of Lady Bordon.  That was even better.  

Do you ever eat soft ice cream ?To me there is no such thing as bad ice cream.

29 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do you ever eat soft ice cream ?To me there is no such thing as bad ice cream.

Yes, I do.  Sometimes, I get a craving for a Dairy Queen sundae and will buy one.  We have an ice cream company called Graeter's in my area that have ice cream stores that sell retail packaged products, but have a real soda fountain set-up with made to order sundaes, sodas, malts, milk shakes, and phosphates.  Delicious!  A Vanilla Phosphate and a Chocolate Soda made with real Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream were my favorites.  Many days after school, as I passed by the drug store had that old fashioned soda fountain, I would drop a bit of my allowance into their cash registers by ordering one of these delights. 

QM2 will give hard ice cream in the dining room but Soft is in the Kings Court..

The Hard Ice Cream is made on board.

The on disappointment was the on Soft Serve was Vanilla. No Chocolate out of the machine.

• Thanks 1

One of the disappointing changes that I have seen, at least on HAL ships, is the decreasing quality of the ice cream served.  Once upon a time, Haagen-Dazs was the ice cream brand served.  Various flavors (Pineapple Coconut, became very fond of that flavor) available.  Then, that brand was dropped.  A different brand was served (don't remember its name), it was OK, but, not Haagen-Dazs.  Then, it changed again to what I think it is a generic brand.  Edible, but, the variety of ice cream is not as great and certainly another cutback that has taken place over the past several years.  

Thankfully, one thing that has not changed at the ice cream counter is the quality and variety of cookies offered,  HAL's Christmas Cookies and their selection is really very good.  Love the Gingerbread men.  

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My favorite on board ship cookies are oatmeal raisin.

Off or on a ship, Oatmeal Raisin are a favorite of mine, too.  I like Shortbread cookies as well and am a good purchaser for a variety of Girl Scout Cookies.  I have a friend who is an excellent cookie maker.  I don't know what she calls all of them; some are quite interesting mixtures of ingredients.  Large, rich, and delicious!  Her sons' dorm rooms are a popular stop  for their friends when they come back to their universities after being at home for a week-end.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Off or on a ship, Oatmeal Raisin are a favorite of mine, too.  I like Shortbread cookies as well and am a good purchaser for a variety of Girl Scout Cookies.  I have a friend who is an excellent cookie maker.  I don't know what she calls all of them; some are quite interesting mixtures of ingredients.  Large, rich, and delicious!  Her sons' dorm rooms are a popular stop  for their friends when they come back to their universities after being at home for a week-end.  

My youngest granddaughter was a Girl Scout .We bought many boxes of cookies every year.

• Like 1

I like both.....hard and soft ice cream. As a kid, I loved Carvel soft but we don't have any Carvel stores here anymore. 

There are a ton of choices of hard ice cream these days.........Breyer's is good.  And I found this brand at the "SPROUTS" near me.........anyone else know of them?  It is called https://vanleeuwenicecream.com/ and they have some fun and funky flavors.

But I do LOVE Ben and Jerry's.........Cherry Garcia is my favorite😀

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I like both.....hard and soft ice cream. As a kid, I loved Carvel soft but we don't have any Carvel stores here anymore. 

There are a ton of choices of hard ice cream these days.........Breyer's is good.  And I found this brand at the "SPROUTS" near me.........anyone else know of them?  It is called https://vanleeuwenicecream.com/ and they have some fun and funky flavors.

But I do LOVE Ben and Jerry's.........Cherry Garcia is my favorite😀

Cherry Garcia is also my favorite ,Lois R

Carvel was my favorite as a kid too and still is among my favorites.

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Cherry Garcia is my favorite

Maybe my memory is incorrect, but, isn't this the ice cream that HAL now uses to make their Baked Alaska in the Pinnacle Grill?  It's good, but, not a favorite of mine.

Our local premium ice cream company, at this time of the year, make two seasonal ice creams that I enjoy:  Eggnog and Cinnamon.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe my memory is incorrect, but, isn't this the ice cream that HAL now uses to make their Baked Alaska in the Pinnacle Grill?  It's good, but, not a favorite of mine.

Our local premium ice cream company, at this time of the year, make two seasonal ice creams that I enjoy:  Eggnog and Cinnamon.  

I have no clue about what type of ice cream HAL serves.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard Ice Cream, i.e. Real Ice Cream is essentially a frozen egg custard or frozen Crème Anglaise, with flavorings added.

Soft Ice Cream, better known as soft serve (because legally it is not ice cream) is made from powdered or concentrated milk, milk solids, sugar, corn syrup, chemical stabilizers, and artificial flavors.

On 11/10/2022 at 5:24 PM, rkacruiser said:

.Our local premium ice cream company, at this time of the year, make two seasonal ice creams that I enjoy:  Eggnog and Cinnamon.  

Speaking of seasonal favorites…we have a local brand here in metro Boston called Brigham’s Ice Cream.  They make a great Frozen Pudding around the holidays similar to a rum laced tutti fruitti.  They also make really good Pistachio, Rum Raisin and Peppermint Stick!  Ben and Jerry’s is made right up the road in Vermont.  We are blessed with many great regional ice cream makers as well as many boutique ice cream shops.  Another local favorite is Friendly’s Banana Split Ice Cream.  One of my all time favorites was Steve’s Chocolate Cinnamon Raisin which is no longer available…sighhhh.   I have never had ice cream onboard ship that would equal any of the above.  

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Speaking of seasonal favorites…we have a local brand here in metro Boston called Brigham’s Ice Cream.  They make a great Frozen Pudding around the holidays similar to a rum laced tutti fruitti.  They also make really good Pistachio, Rum Raisin and Peppermint Stick!  Ben and Jerry’s is made right up the road in Vermont.  We are blessed with many great regional ice cream makers as well as many boutique ice cream shops.  Another local favorite is Friendly’s Banana Split Ice Cream.  One of my all time favorites was Steve’s Chocolate Cinnamon Raisin which is no longer available…sighhhh.   I have never had ice cream onboard ship that would equal any of the above.  

Ice cream on a ship cannot compare to an ice cream parlor in any town where people reside,IMHO.

• Like 1