Anyone on Sirena now?

sbcs5390

3 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

Just curious how the TA is going. We board in Miami next Friday when this one concludes for the 10 day Caribbean cruise. Any supply issues? Looks like our cruise is sold out. 

That would not be the Sirena.  She's currently in Papeete eventually headed to Australia in December.

2 minutes ago, davencl said:

That would not be the Sirena.  She's currently in Papeete eventually headed to Australia in December.

I sure hope not, as I'm also boarding Sirena next Friday in Miami! If she's not crossing the Atlantic right now, something is seriously wrong! 🤣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

I sure hope not, as I'm also boarding Sirena next Friday in Miami! If she's not crossing the Atlantic right now, something is seriously wrong! 🤣

Oops sorry I was thinking of a different NCL ship.  My bad...  FWIW we were on the Sirena in September for a cruise around Norway.  It was great.  You'll really enjoy it.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

We board in Miami next Friday when this one concludes for the 10-day Caribbean cruise.

Yep, we board Sirena 11/18, too. The reviews from this summer were pretty brutal. Not just for her alone, though pretty tough on her specifically. Praying it is up to the high standards O previously sustained on our W. Caribbean cruise on Riviera 12/21.

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Yep, we board Sirena 11/18, too. The reviews from this summer were pretty brutal. Not just for her alone, though pretty tough on her specifically. Praying it is up to the high standards O previously sustained on our W. Caribbean cruise on Riviera 12/21.

I saw those too. Maybe the Wifi is out on the transatlantic 😉 

I wonder if our boarding will be tied up or hampered. Celebrity Silhouette was three hours late to board and people were passing out in the Miami sun while waiting a couple weeks ago because of all guests and crew going through immigration as the first US port since Europe. I’m sure the size here will be more manageable but also sure the stores will have run dry after the long voyage and there will be lots of unloading and loading to do! 

4 minutes ago, sbcs5390 said:

I saw those too. Maybe the Wifi is out on the transatlantic 😉 

I wonder if our boarding will be tied up or hampered. Celebrity Silhouette was three hours late to board and people were passing out in the Miami sun while waiting a couple weeks ago because of all guests and crew going through immigration as the first US port since Europe. I’m sure the size here will be more manageable but also sure the stores will have run dry after the long voyage and there will be lots of unloading and loading to do! 

Honestly, I didn't realize Sirena was coming off a TA until this thread! Starting to regret selecting an 1100 boarding time because there's no way boarding isn't running late. 

6 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

Honestly, I didn't realize Sirena was coming off a TA until this thread! Starting to regret selecting an 1100 boarding time because there's no way boarding isn't running late. 

Maybe you will get an email to show up a bit later 

We usually do not go to the port until 2pm anyway 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe you will get an email to show up a bit later 

We usually do not go to the port until 2pm anyway 

I guess we'll find out soon enough! I'll just make sure to toss some snacks in my carry on just in case. It will be fine however it shakes out - expecting the worst and being pleasantly surprised is how I go through life. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

We are on an O-arranged flight landing at MIA at 9:19 A.M. Should be lots of fun. 🫣

This thread holds a useful nugget of info I’d like to get others input on..

We are embarking 23 Dec on Riviera. The ship will be on it’s second trip out post whambam refit and also just done the TA. So immigration and customs etc for crew will likely take longer, so it will be a good idea not to try for the 11am embarkation as it likely won’t go to plan? 

If there is a delay how is terminal J for places to sit and wait? Now thinking we may hang around the Intercontinental for a bit and embark a little later if there are going to be delays. I certainly wont be acclimatised to the heat at that point. 

I understand a few people are in the go have lunch before embarkation mindset, but that’s not how I like to roll. 

Marital Unit is a bad traveller, so the sooner I can get him installed on the ship the easier life is for me. 

44 days to go .. booked specialities this morning 🙂

3 hours ago, thespiritmovesme said:

I am currently on the Sirena. We will be in port in Funchal this AM at 9. This is my 1st Oceania cruise, so I will hold any judgements for now. The staff have all be excellent & attentive thus far. 

I hope you are having a great time, Sirena is a wonderful ship. 

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

This thread holds a useful nugget of info I’d like to get others input on..

We are embarking 23 Dec on Riviera. The ship will be on it’s second trip out post whambam refit and also just done the TA. So immigration and customs etc for crew will likely take longer, so it will be a good idea not to try for the 11am embarkation as it likely won’t go to plan? 

If there is a delay how is terminal J for places to sit and wait? Now thinking we may hang around the Intercontinental for a bit and embark a little later if there are going to be delays. I certainly wont be acclimatised to the heat at that point. 

If you are  getting on when the ship arrives from a TA  there is  a ship inspections from CDC  plus  all the  pax & crew security checks

I would  just  ask the hotel to hold your bags  after check out    sit in  the lobby (it is nice) or take  a walk to get any supplies you may need  there is  a CVS  close by

If you have  an early time slot  they may let you in the building or you may be lined up outside in the heat ..we have done both

Once inside  there are  chairs  upstairs  where you can sit & wait ..I would make sure you have water/snacks  incase non are provided that is hit or miss

Personally I would prefer the comfortable seats  at the hotel

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 1

We talked to maybe one couple that was continually on past Miami from the TA. If the ship is full, that means effectively everyone is getting on in Miami. We don’t participate in boardamania even on normal cruises and couldn’t imagine doing so in Miami after an international TA turnaround! 

If you show up early, or during early boarding at the dock, don’t come crying over the results of your personal decision.

We arrived at the Sirena at 3:00 pm in Bilboa to find one couple ahead of us in line. An easy 5 minute check in and off to an awaiting ready cabin. Some of the decks hadn’t been called even at 3:00 however. 

Your decision, your choice.

On a separate issue, we learned aboard that Lisbon is one of Oceania’s (NCL) major refurbishment ports, second only to Miami. While ships bring on food and some other supplies at other ports, a large percentage of needed staples are boarded there for future segments.

We were docked in Lisbon for two days giving the ship plenty of time to load all supplies necessary for our next 10 day segment and the TA out of BCN thereafter. Supply shortages and supply chain issues were still reported by the staff after departure from Lisbon. I’m guessing you’ll encounter the same from Miami, but hopefully not as badly.

Edited by pinotlover

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is not just cruises that have supply chain issues  we are  experiencing  here in the Centre of the Universe

Some weeks it is paper products  some weeks some food issues 

JMO

I agree wholeheartedly. It will be quite awhile before they diminish further. I believe the expectations should be that they will occur.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

... If you show up early, or during early boarding at the dock, don’t come crying over the results of your personal decision. We arrived at the Sirena at 3:00 pm in Bilboa to find one couple ahead of us in line. An easy 5 minute check in and off to an awaiting ready cabin. Some of the decks hadn’t been called even at 3:00 however....

IIRC modern research has indicated that the anticipation of an event like a vacation is actually the highest point of happiness related to the event. And that anticipation for a cruise includes the day-of wait, which can include just sitting or standing looking at the ship in dock, being in line in the terminal or being on board waiting for your room to become available.

Part of becoming a "jaded" traveler is to lose the joy of the anticipation.

We had an 1130 check in for Riviera on 12/13/21 and I had a blast just watching the COVID testing process in action. A long line & a process. And a "thrill" when my wife's negative result popped up on the screen first (O was doing the testing then), and then an O rep called out my name. I thought for a fleeting second she was going to say I'd tested positive, but she just needed to ask some passport question and then my number popped up on the screen for negatives.

So...I can't wait for our 1100 check in time on 11/18/22 for Sirena. I'll be fascinated to watch what goes on. No matter what happens. I'll make sure to know where the restroom is and use it and have a bottle of water just in case. Prepared for any wait. In anticipation.

But then I've had a military background. And if there was one thing the USAF taught me, it was be prepared to "Hurry up and wait."

• Like 2

I will be boarding Marina Dec.4 in Miami after a TATL. I don't have a boarding time yet. because I have to check out of my airport hotel by 11:00 and have luggage, we will take an uber to the terminal and sit inside the building until we can get on. The building is air conditioned.

Last time I sailed out of Miami in late Jan. 2020 we got to the terminal at noon but no one could board until 3:30. The excuse was the ship had come in late and they were getting ready for the new passengers. Turned out there had been a "virus" outbreak on the prior cruise and O was doing a deep disinfecting cleaning of the ship but that's not what we were told. In hindsight, this "virus" outbreak was likely a covid problem just before covid became an issue in the US.

42 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

IIRC modern research has indicated that the anticipation of an event like a vacation is actually the highest point of happiness related to the event. And that anticipation for a cruise includes the day-of wait, which can include just sitting or standing looking at the ship in dock, being in line in the terminal or being on board waiting for your room to become available.

Part of becoming a "jaded" traveler is to lose the joy of the anticipation.

We had an 1130 check in for Riviera on 12/13/21 and I had a blast just watching the COVID testing process in action. A long line & a process. And a "thrill" when my wife's negative result popped up on the screen first (O was doing the testing then), and then an O rep called out my name. I thought for a fleeting second she was going to say I'd tested positive, but she just needed to ask some passport question and then my number popped up on the screen for negatives.

So...I can't wait for our 1100 check in time on 11/18/22 for Sirena. I'll be fascinated to watch what goes on. No matter what happens. I'll make sure to know where the restroom is and use it and have a bottle of water just in case. Prepared for any wait. In anticipation.

But then I've had a military background. And if there was one thing the USAF taught me, it was be prepared to "Hurry up and wait."

As an Airborne Ranger, we often set in the hot sun, or under a shade tree, with both parachutes strapped on and a heavy back pack dangling between my knees waiting for the USAF plane to show up, often a couple hours or so later than scheduled.  My love of hurry up and wait differs from yours.

My primary comment centered around that if you are a self profess early boarder, don’t complain if/when things so badly after intentionally showing up early. It was your decision to do so. Enjoy boardamania to its fullest! As to susiean’s comments, I have never stayed in a hotel ( at least in the past 30 years) that wouldn’t watch our bags after checkout while we explore the city. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

As an Airborne Ranger, we often set in the hot sun, or under a shade tree, with both parachutes strapped on and a heavy back pack dangling between my knees waiting for the USAF plane to show up, often a couple hours or so later than scheduled.  My love of hurry up and wait differs from yours.

My father was USMC (Korean War), I was USAF (Cold War & Desert Shield/Storm), and my son is currently USN (Operation Odyssey Dawn & Unified Protector). Though my mother's two brothers were USA, both WW II, one in the Pacific (Philippines & post-Korean Occupation) and the other KIA in France 6/12/44. So my knowledge of USA a bit more limited. Dad just told me, "Son, don't join the Marine Corps, join the Air Force, they treat you better." I told my son, "Don't join the Marine Corps, your deceased grandfather would be ticked. And since the Air Force won't take you and the Navy will, go Navy!" The Army did offer him $20K but he took the Navy's $5K to be guaranteed a Master at Arms career, which he's still in 13 years later!

I was PACAF (Clark AB/13th AF HQ) and SAC (sadly stood her down!). At Clark all we had were the last of the F-4s. Thinking Es and Gs. And at SAC just various command planes (e.g., the NEACP flying slowly low overhead always seemed like she'd fall out of the sky!) and refueling KC-135s.

• Like 1

I think we will be grabbing a midday embarkation time and hoping that things are going ok, taking a water and making sure we have hats. Hubby is grumpy until ensconced in the cabin, and will not want to go anywhere that morning apart from to the ship, and I have been to Miami many times so don’t need or want to tour around. he can be grumpy in a seat and I am unashamedly happy and elated on embarkation day whatever is going on as long as it involves getting to or onto the ship. 

I can zone out of his grump and be in my very happy bubble. If I have a seat and it’s hot I am ok, in Barbados we waited 45 mins to start embarkation and we were in the first 20 or so to board, and it was hot, but we had seats so it wasn’t too bad. 

I am very curious about what Terminal J is like so i can always have an explore around while he waits. I note that there are a LOT of ships in Miami that day so Uber/taxis may be in shortish supply so I would rather get there than be stuck in a hotel lobby with a grump of a hubby. The closer the ship, the happier 🙂 44 days til we start our adventure. I booked specialities today which was a very happy moment!

No doubt I will keep you guys up to date from the time we are in the lounge at Heathrow, and then as usual my reports will peter out as I get further into the cruise because of extreme fun 😉

• Like 1

Term J  is  a building & upstairs there are some hard chairs  & washroom  & the check in counters  it has A/C

The big BUT is  sometimes they will not allow people in the building until their  ready so you are stuck outside  in the heat

A word of advice on the IC  the check out line  can be long early morning

I would  ditch the Grump & go sit by the pool  until check out time

If you think he would be  bad sitting in the lobby of the hotel  he will be worse sitting in the port building

I know from experience 😉

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Exactly. 26 year veteran here. I can sit and wait anywhere with the best of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3