Cheapskate Question: Cagneys v Teppanyaki

New2cruise2022

First time cruiser here again. I got FAS for passengers one and two with 1 specialty dining on 5-day cruise. I also have a 3rd free passenger that does not have 1 specialty dining.

I currently have a reservation for Teppanyaki (dinner and a show — more entertainment that specialty food) because I figured it would be cheaper out of pocket to bring the 3rd guest to this restaurant over another. I have no idea if I am correct in this thinking/math. 

Will I pay more or the same to take the 3rd passenger to Cagneys?

Bring your facts, experiences, and opinions. Thanks in advance. 

12 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

First time cruiser here again. I got FAS for passengers one and two with 1 specialty dining on 5-day cruise. I also have a 3rd free passenger that does not have 1 specialty dining.

I currently have a reservation for Teppanyaki (dinner and a show — more entertainment that specialty food) because I figured it would be cheaper out of pocket to bring the 3rd guest to this restaurant over another. I have no idea if I am correct in this thinking/math. 

Will I pay more or the same to take the 3rd passenger to Cagneys?

Bring your facts, experiences, and opinions. Thanks in advance. 

Pick out what the third person may eat from the menu above, and then compare that to Teppanykis current price ( $49.00 plus 20% gratuity- $58.80).

• Thanks 1

I get the cheapskate thing...lol...but at the same time, what does the 3rd person want more?  Those are two very different eating experiences, and personally those are the two I always choose.

Cagneys is so good and the food is out of this world, the Teppanyaki is delicious, but less of an upscale experience.   

Teppanyaki is better than the local place where I am at, but not on the same level.  I hate to be that person, but you are on vacation and with a price difference of maybe $20ish, I would go steak all the way.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, New2cruise2022 said:

All of this is very helpful. Dinner times left for Cagneys are pretty late, not that it’s a bad thing. My kids are 15 and 17. Late night steaks probably sound perfect for them. 

I'd definitely go for Cagney's.  Much better food quality and if you've seen one teppanyaki type show then you've seen them all.

Couple tips to keep the $$ down.  Passengers 1 & 2 order as many apps, sides and desserts as the entire table wants and share.  Have passengers 1 & 2 order the most expensive entrees and passenger 3 the least expensive and switch plates.  

Don't worry about making reservations ahead.  They hold times for onboard bookings.  Just do it as soon as you board and you'll be fine, especially with just a group of 3.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

I'd definitely go for Cagney's.  Much better food quality and if you've seen one teppanyaki type show then you've seen them all.

Couple tips to keep the $$ down.  Passengers 1 & 2 order as many apps, sides and desserts as the entire table wants and share.  Have passengers 1 & 2 order the most expensive entrees and passenger 3 the least expensive and switch plates.  

Don't worry about making reservations ahead.  They hold times for onboard bookings.  Just do it as soon as you board and you'll be fine, especially with just a group of 3.  

Great advice! Thank you!!!

• Like 2

Never been to Teppanyaki.  But did Benihanas 20 years ago.  Food was good but the show, oh well.  Just not for me and haven't been back.  Diamond on NCL and have never used Teppanyaki.  I cruise solo and hate reservations.  Now for Cagney's I live there because of my perks. I'm a meat eater.  Meat, meat, meat, and a little seafood and salad.  Now if you like all u can eat my go to is Moderno.  But not all ships have Moderno.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

And I have a question too.  Is it customary to tip the chef after the show like I did at Benihanas 20 years ago?  Sorry another tip question.

I'm positive I've never seen another diner tip the chef on land or at sea in a Japanese steakhouse. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

And I have a question too.  Is it customary to tip the chef after the show like I did at Benihanas 20 years ago?  Sorry another tip question.

Your dinner tab includes a 20% gratuity.  I've personally never tipped the chef individually nor have I seen anyone else do so.  In fact, I had Hibachi earlier this week with friends and nobody I saw tipped the chef.  I just assume that whatever I tip the waiter/ess is pooled with the chef as well.

As to OP's question, it's not so much a matter of being a cheapskate unless you intended to do both restaurants and wanted to know which to use the freebie on.  In that instance, Cagney's will (for me, anyway) usually be more costly than Teppanyaki.  But the menu is above so do the math.  Otherwise, it's a matter of what you prefer.  I find Teppanyaki "schticky" but it's maybe worth a visit for someone who's never been to a Hibachi style restaurant.  The food is perfectly fine but Cagney's will (generally) be the better straight up meal.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Thanks 1

I may be wrong.  Is Teppanyaki the type where people sit 3/4 of the table and the chef cooks for all?  Flipping spatulas, stirring veggies, slicing meats.  You know the show.  If so, I do remember tipping at the Japanese style restaurant.  Benihanas just comes to mind and it was 20 years ago.  

And then who does get the 20% go to if it is just the chef. Do they have waiters? Or just someone who gets drinks.  Never been to Teppanyaki.

Edited by pickle11
  • Thanks 1

You do have one other option which is to have your 3rd passenger purchase a dining plan upgrade. It's about $70, but includes two specialty dinners onboard. If you're interested, go to your cruise in NCL, then on the left hand side look for "Offer Upgrades." 

** Since you're on a five night cruise, I bet you might have an option to upgrade to only one specialy meal, but I'm not sure about that as I've not taken a five night NCL cruise.

image.thumb.png.88884b8c7939d6a6a7620fc637097c15.png

Then on the Offer Upgrades page, you'll see it (it's the last one for me):

image.thumb.png.f4445ac96fbfc19e5fc5e11756ca7799.png

Edited by cruiseny4life

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You do have one other option which is to have your 3rd passenger purchase a dining plan upgrade. It's about $70, but includes two specialty dinners onboard. If you're interested, go to your cruise in NCL, then on the left hand side look for "Offer Upgrades." 

** Since you're on a five night cruise, I bet you might have an option to upgrade to only one specialy meal, but I'm not sure about that as I've not taken a five night NCL cruise.

the is the upgrade price, meaning you'd already have to have the dining package which the 3rd passenger doesn't have.  They would have to pay the regular price

9 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

the is the upgrade price, meaning you'd already have to have the dining package which the 3rd passenger doesn't have.  They would have to pay the regular price

I actually called NCL on this I got the 33% off 2 meal deal for around $58 for extra guests. Maybe they were just being nice to me but they acted like we have done this before. I would not let me get the discount online.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

They only offer it in the app for guests 1 and 2

16 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I actually called NCL on this I got the 33% off 2 meal deal for around $58 for extra guests. Maybe they were just being nice to me but they acted like we have done this before. I would not let me get the discount online.

I will have to try that. 

27 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

There are quite a few things you can't do online that you can do if you call in.  Booking a second reservation at the same restaurant, changing/cancelling a reservation, etc.  If you can't book it online, I would not be at all surprised if the phone rep can do this routinely.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

There are quite a few things you can't do online that you can do if you call in.  Booking a second reservation at the same restaurant, changing/cancelling a reservation, etc.  If you can't book it online, I would not be at all surprised if the phone rep can do this routinely.

Human interaction. 😬 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

Ahhh, nice to know