800 Onboard The Majestic Princess Infected With COVID

Fouremco

23 minutes ago, broberts said:

Oh, the condescension.

I suppose these sniffelers are not smart enough to use the free self tests all the provinces hand out for free? 🙄

The very last thing anyone should want is to discourage people from visiting emergency if they think they are sick enough to need it.

I think you're over estimating some people's ability to deal with some temporary discomfort and the accuracy of the test. Tests are a momentary snapshot and some will still occupy emergency room slots regardless. 

Proper triage (by a Physician and not a nurse) would help reduce overcrowding but they're scared to turn people away due to liability.

I hope you feel as strongly with your final statement when you're behind the guy in the emergency room who thinks his finger is falling off due to a hang nail.

On 11/13/2022 at 6:25 AM, gold1953 said:

The spread of covid cannot be controlled by a cruise company, It is up to each individual person. What do you want the company to do ; Sew a mask to faces or try to stop each person from getting close to another??? Many people with symptoms do their best to hide them and mingle freely with others because they don't want to be confined to their cabin.

And yes, most likely these people will board flights unless they are forced into confinement by Australia. If they fly, many won't wear a mask if the airline does not require it.

You are so correct

“many people with symptoms do their best to hide them and mingle freely with others because they don’t want to be confined to their cabins”.

That what cause this mess. 800 people tested positive were the “honest ones”.  I would say another 100 or so tested positive and hide it. You do your own testing on board then take a picture of your results and show the cabin steward. It easy to hide a positive results. Same with prior boarding. You test your-self and download the results to Princess App. 
We’re home now from Sydney and so far so good, still feeling good with no symptoms.
Where the sun and what is this white stuff falling from the sky. Lol

• Like 2

Part of the problem that I see with all of this is that so many are passing this off as a mild cold and nothing to worry about.

More and more evidence is coming out now about people who have had 2 or more mild cases are having long covid issues, and other heart and lung issues.  Some are popping up 2-3 months later.

I personally know too many people that are not concerned any longer, and I get after 3 years of lockdowns and masking that no one wants more.  Heck, I don't want more, but I also don't want lingering or worse health issues later.  I am approaching retirement and want to enjoy life and travel and not be held down by illness because others are careless or misinformed.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Part of the problem that I see with all of this is that so many are passing this off as a mild cold and nothing to worry about.

More and more evidence is coming out now about people who have had 2 or more mild cases are having long covid issues, and other heart and lung issues.  Some are popping up 2-3 months later.

I personally know too many people that are not concerned any longer, and I get after 3 years of lockdowns and masking that no one wants more.  Heck, I don't want more, but I also don't want lingering or worse health issues later.  I am approaching retirement and want to enjoy life and travel and not be held down by illness because others are careless or misinformed.

When you speak of lingering symptoms my daughter tells me often about her 'littles'  She teaches the 4 year olds near Ottawa . Most of them had covid when the mask mandate lifted . She says it breaks her heart to watch them as a few can no longer run without getting out of breath and this was months later. She has watched them run and play and it has changed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree.  It's amazing how many people are just not choosing to read about/listen to the huge amount of frightening information coming in about long Covid and growing risks to the brain, lungs, heart, gastro system, other internal organs, etc. with each infection.  Studies are showing that it affects everyone:  all ages, genders, vaccination status, etc.  I see articles daily about this.  Sadly, people will finally pay attention when it affects them or someone close to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My wife test positive in May and nearly had the sniffles, I went to Ottawa to mid September to help out with some sick grandkids in Ottawa and of course playing raspberries with a 15 month old that goes to daycare is a sure way to get sick 😁

I came back home and of course gave it to my wife , when she finally went to the doc after 4 weeks of feeling awful

The doc said people would had Covid are having a much hard time recovering from other colds 

It took her over a month to get over it  

FYI

Majestic Princess maybe in trouble again with Covid cases.  I copy and paste from a person that’s on the ship now. 

“Last night we got a notice under the door reminding us about masks and also advising that guest laundry facilities will be suspended until further notice and bed linen and towels will only be changed on request. The self serve laundrette is also closed.”

8 hours ago, DHP1 said:

FYI

Majestic Princess maybe in trouble again with Covid cases.  I copy and paste from a person that’s on the ship now. 

“Last night we got a notice under the door reminding us about masks and also advising that guest laundry facilities will be suspended until further notice and bed linen and towels will only be changed on request. The self serve laundrette is also closed.”

Not a good sign...     We are cruising in December and starting to wonder if this is a good thing.  

We cruised during the pandemic twice with Viking and felt "safe" with the mandates in place, but now, not sure.  We don't feel that people are taking covid seriously now.

I WILL submit for testing if I am not feeling well, and I will do my required isolation if I must, but I don't want to be in this position when my next cruise is Antarctica.  Imagine spending all that money and then being isolated?  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DHP1 said:

FYI

Ouch!  Sounds like the crew in the laundry have been hit. The had reduced sheet changing with reduction in services in the past but first I have heard of stopping laundry services.

We cruise in a week on the Reflection and it was announced that no crew has covid and on the last cruise no know passengers cases. Off to a good start but people embarking are likely to bring it with them

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, bobpell said:

DHP1 you mentioned 22 hour flight home

As we are contemplating a cruise down under and live near YYZ can you tell me who you are flying with and how many legs?

thanks

Bob

We have completed the Sydney flights from Vancouver - since we use One World Alliance, we flew Sydney - DFW- YVR. If we used Star Alliance, we could have flown direct Sydney to YVR on Air Canada.

From Toronto:

- One World - I'll suggest you have 2 options, both with 1 stop

- YYZ to LAX (American) then LAX to Sydney (Qantas)

- YYZ to DFW (American) then DFW to Sydney (Qantas)

- Star Alliance

- YYZ to YVR then the same plane departs direct to Sydney (Air Canada)

In our experience, the Qantas flight in Business Class aboard the A-380, is vastly superior to Air Canada's B-777 Business Class. However, the American flight from DFW to VYR, in Business was no more than glorified economy.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

- Star Alliance

- YYZ to YVR then the same plane departs direct to Sydney (Air Canada)

I have taken this flight. Despite the fact that it is same plane, we had to disembark in Vancouver with all of our cabin baggage, while the plane was cleaned and provisioned.