Ship change advisory – Carnival Magic to Carnival Venezia

Old Fart Cruisers

15 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I don't see why not, California has a much bigger population and plenty of residents in surrounding states like AZ and NV that drive in regularly, we even have lots of folks from WA & OR who drive up and down I-5. If Florida can fill ships then there is no reason California couldn't do the same to a lesser degree (with FL being a retiree state). Folks already associate FL with cruising and there needs to be some more outreach/education out west, there are so many people who have never cruised or even really know about cruising. There is a huge untapped customer base out west. I have plenty of friends, family and acquaintances who have never stepped foot on a ship, the few I have introduced have loved it. Sure California does not have the port support that FL does but that is another opportunity as well. Grease some palms and work around the likes of hater Doris Matsui to get some port infrastructure improvements and public outreach. Get folks to try the product and the numbers will swell out west.    

The real problem here crusin' is the lack of available interesting itineraries.  Simply put, the Mexican Riviera is simply a poor substitute for the Caribbean or the Bahamas.  The Pacific ocean is cold and the ports are limited.  It can never be more than an alternative or regional destination given those constraints.  I'll use my skiing analogy.  If a skier gets on an airplane to go skiing from Chicago, he/she never flies to New England rather than Colorado/Utah. Nothing Vermont can do about that.

All cruise lines have historically struggled to sell California.  No marketing campaign can overcome the inherent disadvantages long term. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

image.thumb.png.8f06f306cc7bc4bc395a6bb49dc0c0c6.png

We can probably assume "FUN TO BE REVEALED" will be Blue Iguana Cantina, Guy's Burger Joint & Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, but shouldn't it be a Red Frog Rum Bar where it says "CAFE"?

Going off the current deck plans as a Costa ship, the bottom right will be the burger bar, not sure if it’ll be Guy’s, Luminosa didn’t get a Guys. Bottom left could be Blue Iguana or something different. Top left would probably be the Rum Bar. Top right is currently a Gelato Bar so that could be turned into a rum/tequila bar or a Carnival version of a Gelato/Ice Cream bar. 

17 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Going off the current deck plans as a Costa ship, the bottom right will be the burger bar, not sure if it’ll be Guy’s, Luminosa didn’t get a Guys. Bottom left could be Blue Iguana or something different. Top left would probably be the Rum Bar. Top right is currently a Gelato Bar so that could be turned into a rum/tequila bar or a Carnival version of a Gelato/Ice Cream bar. 

I love the Guys and Blue Iguana... but I almost hope they have something special for this Italian themed ship.  Just having all the same things would greatly reduce the Italian theme IMO

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

According to the cruise comparison thing on the carnival's website, there will be no guy's burger.

15 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

image.thumb.png.8f06f306cc7bc4bc395a6bb49dc0c0c6.png

We can probably assume "FUN TO BE REVEALED" will be Blue Iguana Cantina, Guy's Burger Joint & Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, but shouldn't it be a Red Frog Rum Bar where it says "CAFE"?

i am hoping the whole pub will be there    That space is just too small for it  so many the red frog bar   

On 11/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, cruise4family said:

I had spa balcony rooms reserved on my July 2023 Magic cruises.  Since there is no thermal spa on the Venezia, I'm concerned about what room Carnival is going to switch me into.  I paid a higher price for my spa balconies and will not be happy with a regular balcony on the Venezia for the same price I paid.  Will be curious to see how the ship to ship room swaps work out.

it stated that in the email      says you will be given something comparable  and 50 ppp to spend in the spa only 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, edrussell said:

We have only sailed out of Bayonne and Baltimore.  Always on RCCL.  3 times.  We've had no issues whatsoever with the people.  The Baltimore sailing had a slightly higher percentage of blue collar type people but that suited us just fine.  Port workers we've encountered were fantastic to deal with, parking at both was a breeze (I drive a F-350 so I always opt for outside parking) and port access was no issue whatsoever.  Now we do live between Toronto and Hamilton Ontario which are populated with some of the most 'challenging' people out there.  Extremely rude, pushy etc, in general downright awful.  Despite what many think about Canadians in general I'd not wish a visit to Toronto on my worst enemy.  So that definitely isn't an issue for us.  

i actually have never met a rude port worker and i would imagine they would only be rude if someone were mistreating them.   i'm thinking bayone/ nyc would have similar population for sailings but what i'm hearing from you is that alll the rude people on the nyc ship are probably Canadian!!! 

i'm kidding, i'm kidding.  maybe it was just a one off. i've only done it once, and in August, i'll try my luck again. it's prob a combination of nyc and that time of year when there are sooo many kids of all ages that are sailing, especially teens that run amok. there were many parentless teens on that sailing from 2019.   
i'm a parent of young kiddos, but i'd like to think that when they are teenagers, if they are being absolute jerks, that someone would tell me-- rat them out or otherwise i'd just not let them sail with me.  

as far as blue collar people, i grew up in a blue collar household. i'm a little soft nowadays with my office job, but i never forgot where I come from and how hard my parents had to work to help me get where i am today. 

7 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

According to the cruise comparison thing on the carnival's website, there will be no guy's burger.

I thought I saw a video that John Heald shot yesterday on this ship in which he alluded to the fact that a Blue Iguana and Guy‘s would be added. It’s probably still up on his Facebook page. 

Regardless, I’m excited that Carnival will have a Vista class ship sailing from NYC year round. The price is much better than what you will find on most of the other lines sailing from NYC. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BelleEpoque said:

I thought I saw a video that John Heald shot yesterday on this ship in which he alluded to the fact that a Blue Iguana and Guy‘s would be added. It’s probably still up on his Facebook page. 

Regardless, I’m excited that Carnival will have a Vista class ship sailing from NYC year round. The price is much better than what you will find on most of the other lines sailing from NYC. 

He said a specialty burger place. Don't think Guys will be added. They didn't add it on the Luminosa.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

Are they ALLOWED to do this?  I can understand changing itinerary because of weather conditions, or MAYBE exchange a ship from the same class, for example, Pride for Miracle, but an entirely different ship?  

Ships move around all of the time and it's often not foreseen two years ahead of time, which is how far itineraries can go out. I've been caught up in 3 ship changes. There is nothing you can do. That's why it's in the contract. If you book early, you can definitely be impacted. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruizinisthebest said:

He said a specialty burger place. Don't think Guys will be added. They didn't add it on the Luminosa.

I can’t see why it wouldn’t be a Guy’s? But time will tell. Speculating is probably pointless.

There are some horrifyingly bad aesthetic choices (in my opinion) in the Costa design that also seem impractical for a mostly North American clientele so I expect there will be a lot of changes to the ship design. 

I did, however, like some of what I’ve seen in terms of the stateroom design and decor and I hope that some or most of it is kept. 

56 minutes ago, BelleEpoque said:

What's great about the Venezia is the Main Lido Deck is covered, so it's perfect for cold weather itineraries and embarkation ports. Unlike Celebrity and Royal Carnival and NCL has few ships with at least one indoor pool (Spirit Class is the exception)

• Like 4

this is the best video tour of the Venezia I have found. It is in German, but you can always mute it if you cannot follow or understand. Layout will be familiar for those of us that have been a Vista ship. The last 2 minutes give an idea what the Terrace area is like *as of right now*. It does not have a pool, and just has nice seating. No idea if Carnival will change this. 

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

What's great about the Venezia is the Main Lido Deck is covered, so it's perfect for cold weather itineraries and embarkation ports. Unlike Celebrity and Royal Carnival and NCL has few ships with at least one indoor pool (Spirit Class is the exception)

This was why I liked the Breakaway when it went out of NYC. The Haven complex had a magrodome. NCL started messing around with the ships and put Getaway in, that did not have a cover. I wasnt going to pay a premium to sail in The Haven and have an unusable courtyard area for 2-3 days in wintertime.

10 hours ago, cruizinisthebest said:

Ships move around all of the time and it's often not foreseen two years ahead of time, which is how far itineraries can go out. I've been caught up in 3 ship changes. There is nothing you can do. That's why it's in the contract. If you book early, you can definitely be impacted. 

Not trying to make waves!  Long time CCL cruiser and I've never had ANYTHING changed so I'm clueless.  I did my first solo cruise in Sept. Booked Magic solo for June.  Handpicked my OV which very few are available (as I'm sure many of you have done) on Magic and even fewer on Venezia. I'd be disappointed if I wasn't assigned to my "special OV" but I'll survive! 😊  Feel bad for families with kids who booked because of waterparks, etc.  BUT I do think maybe CCL could give you the option of cancelling with no penalties.  I was going to do this and rebook my cabin-it's same price and included $100 OBC which I did not get originally.  I'd lose $250 deposit so doesn't make sense.  There's my rant.  Over and done.  VERY HAPPY CCL will be in NY this winter.  Might just give away my winter clothes and snow shovel and sail on her for a few months!😁

11 hours ago, BelleEpoque said:

I can’t see why it wouldn’t be a Guy’s? But time will tell. Speculating is probably pointless.

There are some horrifyingly bad aesthetic choices (in my opinion) in the Costa design that also seem impractical for a mostly North American clientele so I expect there will be a lot of changes to the ship design. 

I did, however, like some of what I’ve seen in terms of the stateroom design and decor and I hope that some or most of it is kept. 

What aesthetics are you referring to? The only thing I am not a fan of is that Gondola in the middle of the dining room. But other people seem to think it's cool. That's minor IMO and me just nit picking. In the end I don't care lol. I have been looking at the cabins and those are really nice. I hope they keep them as is. I agree with you on that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

Not trying to make waves!  Long time CCL cruiser and I've never had ANYTHING changed so I'm clueless.  I did my first solo cruise in Sept. Booked Magic solo for June.  Handpicked my OV which very few are available (as I'm sure many of you have done) on Magic and even fewer on Venezia. I'd be disappointed if I wasn't assigned to my "special OV" but I'll survive! 😊  Feel bad for families with kids who booked because of waterparks, etc.  BUT I do think maybe CCL could give you the option of cancelling with no penalties.  I was going to do this and rebook my cabin-it's same price and included $100 OBC which I did not get originally.  I'd lose $250 deposit so doesn't make sense.  There's my rant.  Over and done.  VERY HAPPY CCL will be in NY this winter.  Might just give away my winter clothes and snow shovel and sail on her for a few months!😁

I understand completely everything you're saying. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised when the cabins are reassigned. We were already booked in a 4J on the Magic and was planning to book a second room for the kids. Of course never got around to it. Now the 4Js on this one are not showing up. Hopefully they will after next week. Fingers crossed for everyone!🤗

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BelleEpoque said:

I saw the video as well. It's on Youtube. He wasn't sure what's going to be added and what's not. To be honest, I don't want them to change everything on this ship. It's kinda a new experience than the typical carnival ships. I do hope the have Guy's on it though. I guess it's just a wait and see.

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

One thing I was looking forward to was the waterpark as well for my 5 and 8 year olds. We have been on the Magic before and they enjoyed it. The younger one was just 2 and a half years old so she don't remember much. It shows on Carnival's website the Waterworks will be on this ship so I think that will be one of the major changes.

I am with you on giving up my snow shovel for cruising. Only issue is that where I live the town would be making some money from the summons I would get for not cleaning up the sidewalk in time. It feels so good not having to go to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to catch a cruise. Those are the only two ports I've used.

• Like 1

Just now, Jamericannn said:

One thing I was looking forward to was the waterpark as well for my 5 and 8 year olds. We have been on the Magic before and they enjoyed it. The younger one was just 2 and a half years old so she don't remember much. It shows on Carnival's website the Waterworks will be on this ship so I think that will be one of the major changes.

I am with you on giving up my snow shovel for cruising. Only issue is that where I live the town would be making some money from the summons I would get for not cleaning up the sidewalk in time. It feels so good not having to go to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to catch a cruise. Those are the only two ports I've used.

The current configuration already has a water park for little kids, although not as extensive as the Carnival Waterworks with the giant water 🪣. They may or may not add additional water features but even if they don't there's one that already exists.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The current configuration already has a water park for little kids, although not as extensive as the Carnival Waterworks with the giant water 🪣. They may or may not add additional water features but even if they don't there's one that already exists.

The waterworks is what I meant. The website has waterworks as "coming soon"

49 minutes ago, Jamericannn said:

13 hours ago, BelleEpoque said:

The Chinese market is heavily into the Baroque design with gold leaf and velvet furniture, hence some of the interior design choices on the Venezia. While I don't particularly like those elements I think it's ironic that now there's issues with something TOO ornate. As if the decor on the Magic is somehow tasteful. So Carnival's Vista Class and Excel Class is too bland, and people prefer the dark, foreboding design of the Carnival Pride, but the Carnival Venezia is too tacky? 

Edited by kwokpot

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The Chinese market is heavily into the Baroque design with gold leaf and velvet furniture, hence some of the interior design choices on the Venezia. While I don't particularly like those elements I think it's ironic that now there's issues with something TOO ornate. As if the decor on the Magic is somehow tasteful. So Carnival's Vista Class and Excel Class is too bland, and people prefer the dark, foreboding design of the Carnival Pride, but the Carnival Venezia is too tacky? 

People will just complain. Everyone said the Vista was too plain. I thought it was just fine. Tailored down from the gaudiness of the Fantasy Class ships, of which I've sailed many times. Ditto for Magic and Dream. I don't miss the glass elevators, or the tablecloths, or any of that stuff. It was nice to have but times change. The Venezia is beautiful IMO as is. And I really hope they don't make too many changes either with the decor, the layout, or the food. Yes I love Guys Burgers. My kids will miss it on this cruise. But they've sailed a dozen other times with it and will quickly adapt to it not being there if it's not.  

As for waterworks, as you said, yes there already is Costa's version of one. And a ropes course. 

• Like 2