Travel Insurance Question

portadown

We're just doing the final preparations for a world cruise in January -- Southampton to Southampton -- and I've been having a problem with travel insurance. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.

Our Booking Conditions state that travel insurance is required, and because we are making such a long trip, it is very likely that we will need to submit a monitored COVID test before we are allowed to board in Southampton.

We contacted Holiday Extras, the agency suggested by Cunard by following the link on the Cunard site. After making an online inquiry, we were told that we had to speak to an agent because of the length of the trip and the amount of the fare.

The Holiday Extras agent whom I spoke to yesterday on the phone told me that there is an upward limit on cancellation claims. (To receive the maximum, he said that we'd need to "top up" the standard amount, though he wouldn't be able to tell me how much that would be until we bought the actual policy.)

My concern is that the cancellation limit only covers about 2/3 of the cost of the trip. The agent said that it was unfortunate but that there was no other option. That means if I'm denied entry at Southampton because of a COVID positive result, then my partner and I will each lose 1/3 of our final payment. When I contacted Cunard after hearing this, the Cunard telephone agent was less than helpful:  he said that he understood the situation, but he could do nothing about it. I asked him why Cunard was recommending an agency that would not cover the full cost of a cancelled trip, and he told me, quite categorically, that Cunard was *not* recommending them but only "suggesting" them.  I told him that I had followed a link from the Cunard site to reach Travel Extras, and the Cunard logo appeared onscreen at Travel Extra.

He told me that I should "shop around" and find another agency that would cover the full price of the cruise if I am denied entry.  He couldn't give me the names of any other agencies to try.  I told him that I'd already checked with several companies, and none of them was able to offer anything better than Holiday Extras'. In fact, most of them were offering only about 1/6 of my paid fare in case of being denied entry.

I don't quite know what to do.  I'm hoping, of course, that I won't be have to make a claim! Is there any other company that anyone can recommend?

I think it's very unfair that Cunard sets a rule that I will not be allowed boarding if I have a positive test, and I then lose 1/3 of what I have paid because their preferred agency won't cover it. I asked the Cunard agent what would happen to my cabin if I am denied entry, and he told me that it might be used for an upgrade (!) but that it would not be resold.  (I find this a little disingenuous:  I suspect that it would be resold for a later leg of the trip.)

Does anyone have any ideas?  Again, it's a worst-case scenario, but things have been difficult during this very *long* process.  (We originally booked the trip in 2018, and, like everyone else, we've gone through two cancellations.)

Thanks.

Hi, we were in a similar position and the 2 areas that we found challenging were: a) length of our cruise holiday; b) The amount.

These led all the standard insurers to reject us.

If you are in UK the standard insures will redirect you to Money Advice Service who will in turn access their database of insurers (based on your requirements) and give you at least one broker who will supply the full cover you need.

I would state that my opinion is that it is best to purchase the cover just before you pay the final balance as that will greatly reduce the cost of the premium but then you are taking a risk with the deposit - the deposit can often be moved, before balance, to another cruise but the choices are limited.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the Saga suggestion, but they also have a ceiling on the amount — far less than the 66% of my fate that Holiday Extras is offering. 

Joining at a later date is a possibility — eight days later in New York, probably — but it would mean a last minute scramble.  I feel like I’m expecting the worst, but hoping for the best!

This trip was booked in December 2018 when the world was quite a different place and there were no requirements for pre-boarding virus testing. I naively assumed that Cunard’s recommended agent would cover the cost of an enforced cancellation. 

The time to buy insurance for this World Cruise was before the final payment was made if you have not already purchased at the time of booking.   Cunard would then have allowed a transfer to another cruise.

I understand your dilemma,.We have paid a substantial sum for insurance for this cruise and know it will not cover the whole cost if we had to cancel or denied boarding, but the other benefits meet our needs.

I contacted many insurers on the database referred to above. Most were unable to cover the cost or if they could  it was an exorditant quote.   We eventually chose Avanti, but we do have medical issues.

Friends were in a similar position to you and contacted Cunard  I had sent them an article from the Sunday Times where another passenger highlighted this issue.  They like us have purchased insurance which covers a sum they are comfortable with.

All we can do is to isolate as much as possible, wear masks and keep safe before the cruise.

• Thanks 1

We were uninsured before our cruises this years - with respect to Covid. We were very careful - we social distanced, we wore masks, we ate outside (we were travelling prior to the cruise) , we avoided crowded tour buses in favour of small groups. We masked everywhere.  

In the end this is a risk you can pretty much reduce your  risk for by your behaviour - particularly if you've had your boosters and had Omicron in the last year or so your chance of getting sick again seems quite low. 

But surely Cunard would at least fly you to the next port (I"m gujessing NYC?) to pick up the cruise there 

On 11/20/2022 at 4:59 AM, portadown said:

Thanks so much for the Saga suggestion, but they also have a ceiling on the amount — far less than the 66% of my fate that Holiday Extras is offering. 

Joining at a later date is a possibility — eight days later in New York, probably — but it would mean a last minute scramble.  I feel like I’m expecting the worst, but hoping for the best!

That is pretty much the reality of travel where you need a clear test to join a cruise. We did it this year - but now for next year we will stick to land holidays as we have so much more freedom everywhere EXCEPT on cruise ships. 

Are US citizens, boarding in NYC required to have ins? We will have it, but possibly not at the amount that Cunard is "suggesting", or should I say, requiring?

Edited by hmorrow

3 hours ago, hmorrow said:

Are US citizens, boarding in NYC required to have ins? We will have it, but possibly not at the amount that Cunard is "suggesting", or should I say, requiring?

No, not required. There is no place in the personalizer [my voyage ] to provide any insurance information.

On the other hand, I think having insurance coverage is a vital checklist item. (and there is a forum dedicated to discussing that) 

• Like 1