? Bottles of wine on board/ store in Port of San Juan

jamin jul

It's per cabin, but I'm pretty confident that I could have brought more wine on board today, and probably also could have brought other liquor. I boarded in Miami, and had 2 bottles of wine and a 20oz bottle of water in my suitcase. They didn't even ask what it was, or open it up. 

And yes there's a store in the terminal in San Juan. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

Embarkation port in San Juan yes...inside terminal.   Port of call...most use the drug store across the street....but can't take on except on embarkation day.

Buyer beware at wine store inside terminal in San Juan.  I bought what should have been a nice bottle of wine to enjoy on the ship.  Once opened, found it badly "corked" nasty stuff.  On turn around day (being a B2B)...I brought the bottle back to the store.  They would not refund or exchange....no refunds policy.  Was out 48 bucks.  Not happy.  😠

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, island lady said:

Flying into San Juan presents a problem with bringing wine to the ship.   I won't check it in my luggage, and can't take it in carry on bags.  

I have used wine case shippers as luggage for years and never had an issue.  We usually travel in a group and 1 of us checks a case of wine for the group to put their bottles in.  We always fly to our departure ports.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:26 AM, island lady said:

Flying into San Juan presents a problem with bringing wine to the ship.   I won't check it in my luggage, and can't take it in carry on bags.  

Agree. Didn't need the added weight (flying) when we use to haul wine onboard with us. We always did a pre cruise hotel stay so plenty of time to pick up our wine at Pueblo. Then stop in the store in the embarkation center after security (😁) and pick up a couple more bottles of wine.  Smooth sailing after that. 🍷

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LeesSummitCruiser1 said:

I have used wine case shippers as luggage for years and never had an issue.  We usually travel in a group and 1 of us checks a case of wine for the group to put their bottles in.  We always fly to our departure ports.

Decided to avoid the extra weight.  For us, not worth packing the wine in checked bags.  I do have the wine shippers as well, but don't use them any longer.   Buying wine in the terminal in San Juan is not going to happen for me after last episode.  

Fast forward to current situation that has evolved for us :   We get six drinks per person per day, plus 3 bottles of comped wine, and two beers sent to our cabin each week...more than enough for us.  😉   

Needing any more than that...I will be checking to see where the local AA meeting is taking place when I get home.  😄  😄 

Edited by island lady

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Didn't need the added weight (flying) when we use to haul wine onboard with us. We always did a pre cruise hotel stay so plenty of time to pick up our wine at Pueblo. Then stop in the store in the embarkation center after security (😁) and pick up a couple more bottles of wine.  Smooth sailing after that. 🍷

Ahhh...looking forward to more smooth sailing soon.  Will be good to go small ship again this year.  🙂 

Cheers, my friend...."Hi" to Kathy!  

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hi to Bucky and have a Peaceful thanksgiving. 🍷

You as well!  Have a time share booked in Orlando for the week, which started last Saturday, but we only need it for three nights.  Leaving to go there tomorrow morning, then leave early on Friday.

Doing this to have plenty of room to spread out for my sister and her hubs to stay over night with us for Turkey Day...our little house is too tiny, and in fact replaced the guest bedroom with an office, that is next on the remodel list.  Right now it is housing "garage sale reject" furniture for desks.  😛

One thing about a one bedroom house...not too many distant relatives coming to see us for a cheap vacation near the "land of the mouse".  😄 😄 

They are also cruising with us out of San Juan on what will be our 3rd leg (2/12) Voyager.  No wine being carried on there this year. 😉  Yes...I will have my duck tape with me...and yes we are flying Jet Blue again. 😱😮

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

You as well!  Have a time share booked in Orlando for the week, which started last Saturday, but we only need it for three nights.  Leaving to go there tomorrow morning, then leave early on Friday.

Doing this to have plenty of room to spread out for my sister and her hubs to stay over night with us for Turkey Day...our little house is too tiny, and in fact replaced the guest bedroom with an office, that is next on the remodel list.  Right now it is housing "garage sale reject" furniture for desks.  😛

One thing about a one bedroom house...not too many distant relatives coming to see us for a cheap vacation near the "land of the mouse".  😄 😄 

They are also cruising with us out of San J uan on what will be our 3rd leg (2/12) Voyager.  No wine being carried on there this year. 😉  Yes...I will have my duck tape with me...and yes we are flying Jet Blue again. 😱😮

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with Jetbarf. 😉 Glad to hear you'll have your duct tape with you (I never doubted that for a nano second).  Always be prepared. 🍷

• Like 1

We usually have our cab driver stop somewhere for the wine and I run in and grab it if we fly in day of.  If we stay pre cruise, we grab somewhere in San Juan.  Never once bought at port store.  Lol, I remember one time the cab driver took us to Walmart for wine.  It was pretty good!  Got extra sunscreen while we were in there and a baseball hat 😀  I just love cruising out of San Juan!

I use this to bring wine with me on trips (or to bring wine home with me when I go to wineries). I brought wine with me on the flight to Miami last week, and then onto the ship this past Saturday. Made it intact the whole way. And security never even asked me to open the bag to show that it was wine. 

VinGardeValise - Piccolo 01 - 5 Bottle Capacity plus Clothing - Carry-on size (when empty of wine) - All Purpose Wine Travel Suitcase (Silver) https://a.co/d/0ne8ydV

13 hours ago, jamin jul said:

Thank you for the information. 
Island Lady- when did you buy the wine at SJU port? I usually buy  Champagne there and I think it would be hard to do that with Champagne. 

Not a "bubbly" fan.   I bought what should have been a nice bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc.  Corked.  Very sad.  😞  

On 11/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, island lady said:

Decided to avoid the extra weight.  For us, not worth packing the wine in checked bags.  I do have the wine shippers as well, but don't use them any longer.   Buying wine in the terminal in San Juan is not going to happen for me after last episode.  

Fast forward to current situation that has evolved for us :   We get six drinks per person per day, plus 3 bottles of comped wine, and two beers sent to our cabin each week...more than enough for us.  😉   

Needing any more than that...I will be checking to see where the local AA meeting is taking place when I get home.  😄  😄 

Our problem is we are wine snobs 🙂.  There are few wines on board we are willing to pay for. The ones we might purchase we get from the vineyards at significantly less cost.  I wish Royal was like Princess and just let you bring as many bottles on board as you want for a $25 corkage.  We are glad the diamond drinks are now a $13.00 credit rather than a limited menu of wines by the glass. That way we can at least get $13 off a higher end glass of wine.

55 minutes ago, LeesSummitCruiser1 said:

Our problem is we are wine snobs 🙂.  There are few wines on board we are willing to pay for. The ones we might purchase we get from the vineyards at significantly less cost.  I wish Royal was like Princess and just let you bring as many bottles on board as you want for a $25 corkage.  We are glad the diamond drinks are now a $13.00 credit rather than a limited menu of wines by the glass. That way we can at least get $13 off a higher end glass of wine.

I spent 12 years in the wine business as consultant and sales rep to area fine restaurants, including all the fine wine samples I could get.  Now...I pay for the wine.  Retirement $$ brings down my snobbery a bit.  😉 

We don't have a problem with the wines on the ship.  As long as I can get my South Island north coast New Zealand SB (ship also delivers two free bottles of Yealands to our cabin per week), and Bucky can get his glass of Oberon Cab for dinner...we are good to go.  

Edited by island lady

Sorry, I was going to quote you in my previous post, but my system is getting flaky:

On 11/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, island lady said:

Not a "bubbly" fan.   I bought what should have been a nice bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc.  Corked.  Very sad.  😞

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1