quad room

Farmerswife4

It also doesn't change the square footage - the stateroom will be the same as a non-quad stateroom except for there being a pull-down bed from the ceiling (usually right over the main bed, which is ridiculously stupid) and the sofa being convertible to a single bed.  Although I'd never consider it, there are people who don't mind cramming 4 people into a single stateroom to keep the cost down, which is why there's a limited number of staterooms that accommodate that many.

The only negative I can think of is perhaps if it's for a Thanksgiving or Christmas/New Years cruise you'll have LOTS more families onboard and many of them might choose those staterooms so you could experience more noise than usual.  If it's not during that time, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Sue

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farmerswife4 said:

Question, we are booked on Nieuw Amsterdam and just found out we are in a ocean view Quad room?  What is that, should we look in changing it? We are a couple going on our own.

As others have said, there is no real difference in the OV quad. Here are photos that show (just barely) the outline of the "pullman" drop-down bunk over the bed on the NA's sister ship.

https://halfacts.com/1005-eurodam/

Here are more photos of a Nieuw Amsterdam quad-cabin, that don't happen to show the pullman! But you might like to see your future "home"!

https://halfacts.com/signature-class/1079-nieuw-amsterdam/

Both of those photo also have mini-reviews that refer to the quad occupancy -- one favorably, one not.

• Like 1

Is your quad room an even-numbered room between 1046 and 1066 on the deck one port side? If so, you may want to change as those are under the BB King stage on deck 2 and can get too loud if you are a light sleeper or sensitive to noise.

• Like 1

#1097 is below Lincoln Center Stage and the corridor on starboard side to the MDR.  It shouldn't have any noise from above!!   Good spot in my opinion, though I haven't stayed there.  This site has very good graphics of the deck plans and you can overlay a deck over the other to see what's above and below.  VERY useful tool!

Nieuw Amsterdam Cabin Checker Tool. (cruisedeckplans.com)

Enjoy!

~Nancy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Lincoln Center Stage, by the way, has 4-5 musicians play classical or updated string and piano mini concerts in the afternoon and early evening many days.  Check it out because I have really enjoyed their performances! 

Will definitely check this out and thanks for letting me know what’s above us!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farmerswife4 said:

Thanks everyone!  Our room number is 1097. I really appreciate all of your comments. I will ask to switch if we find it close to staff area or Bb Kings. We are dairy farmers and looking forward to a relaxing holiday!!!

The other issue would be what's below. You may need to check where you are proximity to engine, mechanical and crew quarters as there may be noise or vibration below.

some reviews.....

cabin 1083 - "constant hum"
    cabin 1092 - "noisy activity never totally stopped"
    cabin 1097 - "a bit noisy"

Here is and old cabin review for 1097 on NA "We were awakened around 7AM each morning with grinding and knocking sounds below our cabin.".  

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2022 at 10:08 PM, REOVA said:

Can confirm the unbearable engine noise in Nieuw Amsterdam room 1083 when the ship is at speed. The noise is much worse than a "hum" as described above. The sound is even worse when you lay your head on the pillow at night and the noise is amplified 10 fold. When I asked if the room had been an issue for previous guests, GS declined to comment but kudos to them for moving us to a quieter room. 

Edited by ChazD