Booking specialty restaurants?

Clampram

I tried to navigate to the appropriate area but I can't seem to locate it. I am not using the medallion but rather my home computer to look at my booking details. The cruise is not until March 2023...is it too early to book specialty dining?

2 minutes ago, Clampram said:

So even though I am logged in to my cruise personalizer online on my computer, I have to do this on the app on my phone??????

OK...I've got it...I went into Dine My Way on the app and found it there

Next question...when I book dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants when do they charge me? My cruise is still 4 months away?

4 hours ago, Clampram said:

Next question...when I book dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants when do they charge me? My cruise is still 4 months away?

If you book a reservation pre-cruise it'll charge your credit card around a week before in my experience. If you make reservations after boarding it'll go onto your account folio. If you book pre-cruise and change your mind and cancel after being charged it should go onto your account as a credit. 

5 hours ago, Clampram said:

They will charge you immediately.

• Like 1

If you book ahead, and have OBC or a complimentary dinner your credit card is charged. If you book onboard and have a complimentary dinner or OBC then you will not be charged. Princess is not sophisticated enough to "know" you have OBC or a freebie.

I wonder how often the specialty restaurants, especially Crown Grill, are all booked up when you first board.  The cruise is not full at all.   I want to wait to make reservations until we board.  We plan to board as early as we possibly can and make plans and reservations right away.   It is a different itinerary.  So we can't second guess the menus. I understand that they won't have a formal night.   Can we see the menus at the front desk?  Do we have to find somewhere that they are set up to take dining reservations.  We would do this face to face if we can. 

We can use up the onboard credit that we have on other things.   So, we wouldn't have to try to pay with onboard credit if we booked and paid beforehand.   But, we just don't to have that paid for with credit card, and then deal with a refund if we don't happen to do the special dining.

I’m am within 3 days of sailing and have been trying for over a month…still getting same “check back closer to your journey for this feature “ message. I am trying through the medallion app. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance 

On 11/27/2022 at 8:49 AM, Bisous3 said:

You definitely want to reserve way ahead ... just returned from the Sky and there wasn't a single reservation to be had upon boarding.

same on CB over Thanksgiving - only able to book Sabatini's the first night - nada rest of cruise including crown grill

On 11/27/2022 at 9:02 PM, nini said:

If you book ahead, and have OBC or a complimentary dinner your credit card is charged. If you book onboard and have a complimentary dinner or OBC then you will not be charged. Princess is not sophisticated enough to "know" you have OBC or a freebie.

Not true, I booked my comp dinner and the amount zeroed out when booked. OBC can only be used pre-cruise for excursions.

2 hours ago, WynterSong said:

I’m am within 3 days of sailing and have been trying for over a month…still getting same “check back closer to your journey for this feature “ message. I am trying through the medallion app. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance 

Same problem - 2 weeks out; have been trying with no luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Not true, I booked my comp dinner and the amount zeroed out when booked. OBC can only be used pre-cruise for excursions.

Please explain your statement. It seems contradictory. I totally understand that OBC can be used pre cruise only for shore excursions as we have done that in the past.  So, are you saying that your credit card was reimbursed when sailing?

A I stated, your credit card will be charged to pre-book reservations for specialty dining rooms. Many people have said that their CC is then credited after being onboard and many have stated that it was not credited.

29 minutes ago, nini said:

A I stated, your credit card will be charged to pre-book reservations for specialty dining rooms. Many people have said that their CC is then credited after being onboard and many have stated that it was not credited.

That’s not always true if you have a specialty dining credit.  I think that’s what he was saying.  We had a free suite dining credit for first night speciality restaurant which we pre booked months before the cruise and there was no charge.  It zeroes out at the payment page.  I know people are saying this doesn’t work for them but it obviously works for some. 

When I called Princess this morning they said there were no reservations available in any specialty restaurant until at least 9pm every night. I explained I had been trying for over a month. I was advised to print my travel summary and take it to any specialty restaurant and show them I was supposed to have one (part of package) and they would accommodate me much closer to my requested time frame.  Will see if that works. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, t&atravel said:

That’s not always true if you have a specialty dining credit.  I think that’s what he was saying.  We had a free suite dining credit for first night speciality restaurant which we pre booked months before the cruise and there was no charge.  It zeroes out at the payment page.  I know people are saying this doesn’t work for them but it obviously works for some. 

Sounds typical Princess... No consistency.

20 hours ago, nini said:

Please explain your statement. It seems contradictory. I totally understand that OBC can be used pre cruise only for shore excursions as we have done that in the past.  So, are you saying that your credit card was reimbursed when sailing?

The transaction for specialty dining zeroed out before I completed the reservation as Princess recognized I had comped dinners. This was done pre-cruise on the medallion app. no credit card involved.