Costa Maya Pier

suzQ28

We were in Costa Maya last week. No sign of the tram that was used to take pax to and from ships. We did see one of the tram cars on the pier in March, but now it is gone. Long walk for too many with canes, and mobility issues.

• Like 1

We were there last Thursday with 4 ships docked (including the Aluure of the Seas right across from us) and no trams or pedicabs to be found.

I figured if they were going to be running the trams it would be on a super busy day like that.

6 hours ago, bguppies said:

We were there last Thursday with 4 ships docked (including the Aluure of the Seas right across from us) and no trams or pedicabs to be found.

I figured if they were going to be running the trams it would be on a super busy day like that.

I know Costa Maya has been a concern for you for several months. It seems they are even less likely to run the trams when there a lot of ships because the pier is not wide enough to accommodate the tram and foot traffic.

i heard that was a very busy day, but sargassum was light? did you end up leaving the port in the end?

15 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I know Costa Maya has been a concern for you for several months. It seems they are even less likely to run the trams when there a lot of ships because the pier is not wide enough to accommodate the tram and foot traffic.

i heard that was a very busy day, but sargassum was light? did you end up leaving the port in the end?

No we already had doubts about the number of ships and worries about navigating the pier, but when the weather forecast was for off and on rain all day, we just stayed onboard. (some crazy hard rain while we were down playing trivia in the late morning. The waves were bashing us around the pier pretty harshly all day.)

Friends went into the pool area right there and others went into town trying to go to the Krazy Lobster, but both at dinner told us, the pool and in town were both overcrowded. (and apparently not much fun with the poor weather.)

39 minutes ago, bguppies said:

No we already had doubts about the number of ships and worries about navigating the pier, but when the weather forecast was for off and on rain all day, we just stayed onboard. (some crazy hard rain while we were down playing trivia in the late morning. The waves were bashing us around the pier pretty harshly all day.)

Friends went into the pool area right there and others went into town trying to go to the Krazy Lobster, but both at dinner told us, the pool and in town were both overcrowded. (and apparently not much fun with the poor weather.)

Yes, saw videos of the waves. I was surprised all 4 ships were able to dock.

We have had aborted stops at Costa Maya in the past due to waves (one pier in particular seems difficult to use) and we have watched from the beach when other ships have tried and aborted.

Beach days are not much fun if weather is rough!

22 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Yes, saw videos of the waves. I was surprised all 4 ships were able to dock.

I don't think we've ever rocked so much while being docked at any pier.

The Pride was oceanside on the pier between us and the Allure.

The Pride blocked the waves quite nicely for Allure.😜

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I really hope they continue to run. I just had my 3rd leg surgery and (fingers crossed) I will be able to walk good by the time we come, but if not...that could pose a problem for me. Yikes!

There is usually wheelchair assistance but I don’t know if that’s through the ship or the port. 

It seems like the trolley cant run when there are 4 ships - maybe safety because of the volume of walkers? Unfortunately that means more people who can’t walk.

19 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I really hope they continue to run. I just had my 3rd leg surgery and (fingers crossed) I will be able to walk good by the time we come, but if not...that could pose a problem for me. Yikes!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. It was running in January and there was a bazillion people on the pier.  Been a while since we had seen it. 

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

There is usually wheelchair assistance but I don’t know if that’s through the ship or the port. 

It seems like the trolley cant run when there are 4 ships - maybe safety because of the volume of walkers? Unfortunately that means more people who can’t walk.

Yea, last time I was in a wheelchair and walking boot the ship took me down one of the piers, so I believe it was with the cruise line. 

It does make sense 

52 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery. It was running in January and there was a bazillion people on the pier.  Been a while since we had seen it. 

Thank you! Thanks for the info. 

• 1 month later...

Was there last week and tried walking but we turned back after 1/3 of the way.  It looks like a mile walk but I'm probably exaggerating.  There was no tram but there was 3 ships.  If you have even a slight handicap, don't bother.  If you do make it there, there is no help for you returning and remember, it'll probably be much hotter on the return.  Wasted stop for most of us.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, crewsweeper said:

The Carnival Celebration was in Costa Maya today and the pier trolley was running!

Unfortunately it seems to only be running on days with only one ship ,docked . (if you're lucky)

When we return again in December its only 3 ships. (down from 4 lasy December)☹️

Taxis are now available in the port parking lot.  10 minutes from ship if you walk steady and go all around the right side of the shopping area to the exit.  A little less if you cut through to your left past the pool.  Someone posted that short cut on this board.

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Taxis are now available in the port parking lot.  10 minutes from ship if you walk steady and go all around the right side of the shopping area to the exit.  A little less if you cut through to your left past the pool.  Someone posted that short cut on this board.

LOL, that’s some power walking, crew! 

I think I would allow a little longer but maybe not quite as much as 30 minutes. I have never actually timed it but it feels longer! There are several factors to consider - your mobility, knowing where you are going and actual pick up location.

Taxis do stop just inside the exit to the port now but I am not sure you can arrange pick-ups there. There was a recent discussion about Hayhu and I believe the person said they were picked up just out outside the port despite some confusion on the website.

@gamblimon, let us know how it goes - I am still trying to get to Hayhu.

Edited by c-leg5