Barcelona on our Own?

Macdooger4

Sorry if this has been asked before...but it is easy or advisable to explore Barelona on our own without a tour company? We have a full day and are staying over so will not be pressed for time. 4 adults. First time visitors. And what are the must-sees?

I think it's a great city to explore on your own if you're comfortable using the Metro (subway) or taxis.  Both of which are very typical of large cities -- easy to use.

I would spend as much time as you desire at La Sagrada Familia Basilica first and foremost.  It's probably the biggest stand out site in the city.  Research your plan (up the towers or not, guided tour, etc.) and book tickets in advance.  It's a very popular place.

Once you've satisfied yourselves there, take a taxi (or 2) to Parc Guell and explore on foot.  

Read up on the various Gaudi houses in the city and pick a couple to visit.  Walk the length of Las Ramblas.  Walk the Gothic Quarter.  Visit the Picasso Museum.  Ride the cable car up to Mont Juic and enjoy the views of the Mediterranean (and the cruise ships).  Walk back down via Placa d'Espanya.

Stop and enjoy some tapas at least once or twice along the way.

• Like 9

Do a Runnerbean walking tour of the gothic Quarter or Gaudi  houses.  They are about 2-3 hours long and free,  only a tip.  All the guides have been fantastic.  It can be booked on line (or just show up if they have room ).  You pick it up right off the Ramblas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, nikel said:

Do a Runnerbean walking tour of the gothic Quarter or Gaudi  houses.  They are about 2-3 hours long and free,  only a tip.  All the guides have been fantastic.  It can be booked on line (or just show up if they have room ).  You pick it up right off the Ramblas.

Do the Gothic Quarter tour.  The Gaudi houses is only an "outside" tour.  You are better off visiting either the Casa Batllo or La Pedrera by yourself.  The ticket lines are usually short or you can go on their websites.

But, first of all, get your own tickets to la Sagrada Familia ahead of time on their website.  Don't miss it.

We were on the Wonder TA last month and I'm starting to download videos of our time in Barcelona and the other ports.  I will be posting weekly and today was on La Sagrada Familia with Get Your Guide tours.  Next week will be our Barcelona city tour including a visit to Montserrat.  We used Spain Day Tours for that tour.  Both were fantastic.  I also include links in the description boxes of any tours we took.

If you would like to watch, here's the link to my channel, The Empty Armchair, where you can watch the videos.   The Empty Armchair  

Edited by Teeara
  • Like 3

Barcelona is easy to see on your own. Please take the advice of MeHeartCruising and reserve La Sagrada Familia in advance, including downloading the app with the visitor guide.  We learned that the hard way when we could not get into the cathedral on our first visit to Barcelona! 

• Like 2