20 Year olds....Do they need a minor form if their parents are not on board.

As our kids get older we are running into an issue with kids between 18-21. We are sailing later this week and our TA set us a form called "Consent for Minors (0-17) to Travel without a Parent" for our daughter's friend who is sailing with us. When her parents took it to their attorney's office to be notarized they questioned why she (20) would need this form. Now I have no issue having the form, but our reservation and our configuration of rooms is proving problematic for us for various reason. My husband and daughter are booked in our Suite, even though I will be staying there and I am booked with our daughter's friend in a regular cabin (no extra loyalty points for me, no suite designation on my room key, etc..we were told by the TA to just switch keys when we got on board....no I wonder if that is even okay to do) We were told it had to be this way because technically 20 year olds can't sail without someone over 21. With Virgin allowing 18 years old to sail without this restriction, it does not seem like a "maritime law", maybe just a policy for US sailings. Can someone who has knowledge of this lay this out for me? Mainly...do we need this form?

Edited by TX-Cruiser

• TX-Cruiser changed the title to 20 Year olds....Do they need a minor form if their parents are not on board.
1 hour ago, TX-Cruiser said:

As our kids get older we are running into an issue with kids between 18-21. We are sailing later this week and our TA set us a form called "Consent for Minors (0-17) to Travel without a Parent" for our daughter's friend who is sailing with us. When her parents took it to their attorney's office to be notarized they questioned why she (20) would need this form. Now I have no issue having the form, but our reservation and our configuration of rooms is proving problematic for us for various reason. My husband and daughter are booked in our Suite, even though I will be staying there and I am booked with our daughter's friend in a regular cabin (no extra loyalty points for me, no suite designation on my room key, etc..we were told by the TA to just switch keys when we got on board....no I wonder if that is even okay to do) We were told it had to be this way because technically 20 year olds can't sail without someone over 21. With Virgin allowing 18 years old to sail without this restriction, it does not seem like a "maritime law", maybe just a policy for US sailings. Can someone who has knowledge of this lay this out for me? Mainly...do we need this form?

yes.  Go down to GS on day 2 and get 2 cards, one for each room just to open door.  Usually white colored.  Family members just did this on the Allure with similar situation and this past summer.  I say day 2 as day one is always busy.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Go to the Guest Services desk once you get on board. Don't wait until day 2. Tell them who will be staying in which cabin. They will re-issue the appropriate cards to each of you.

We have done this a few times and they never question. Keep in mind onboard charges are tied to the Seapass which is also the room key. Their photo pops up for charges and boarding the ship in ports