Things to do in San Pedro awaiting boarding time

Sackat60

For the first time ever, we are flying in the day of the cruise and should be arriving at LGB at 9:30am for tomorrow's 15 day Crown Hawaiian cruise.  Two couples and we all have late embarkation times.  I've searched the net and this forum, but haven't found what I'm looking for.  (1).  What is there to do at the pier if we arrive 4 hours early (USS Iowa is apparently closed for a special function)?  (2).  Can we check bags early and then come back for boarding?  (3).  Is there anywhere there to buy decent wine or should we have driver stop on the way?  I couldn't afford drinks package for both non-drinking hubby and me for 15 days, so need to stock up :-)!  Thank you!!

2 minutes ago, Sackat60 said:

For the first time ever, we are flying in the day of the cruise and should be arriving at LGB at 9:30am for tomorrow's 15 day Crown Hawaiian cruise.  Two couples and we all have late embarkation times.  I've searched the net and this forum, but haven't found what I'm looking for.  (1).  What is there to do at the pier if we arrive 4 hours early (USS Iowa is apparently closed for a special function)?  (2).  Can we check bags early and then come back for boarding?  (3).  Is there anywhere there to buy decent wine or should we have driver stop on the way?  I couldn't afford drinks package for both non-drinking hubby and me for 15 days, so need to stock up :-)!  Thank you!!

If you show up early, just get in line and board the ship. No one has asked about boarding times.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Shippy said:

There is NOTHING within walking distance from the pier except a 7/11 type store & a Marine Boat shop.

Unless you can walk a long distance....with hills !

Thank you!  I can, but probably not the others with me.

1 hour ago, Sackat60 said:

There is a Total Wine east of LGB (Long Beach store) you could direct cab/limo to first.  Also, a Trader Joe's just west of LGB.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sackat60 said:

Thank you!  I can, but probably not the others with me.

Princess adding boarding times to try to alleviate crowding at the pier.  But those are suggested times, not set in stone. No one is going to ask you what your assigned boarding time is.  Just go straight to the terminal and wait to check in.  You should be onboard by 1130 so plenty of time to have a nice lunch with your friends.  The MDR opens at noon, or you can have pizza, pasta, salad at Alfredo’s.   There's also the bustle of the buffet if you'd like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Princess adding boarding times to try to alleviate crowding at the pier.  But those are suggested times, not set in stone. No one is going to ask you what your assigned boarding time is.  Just go straight to the terminal and wait to check in.  You should be onboard by 1130 so plenty of time to have a nice lunch with your friends.  The MDR opens at noon, or you can have pizza, pasta, salad at Alfredo’s.   There's also the bustle of the buffet if you'd like.

Thank you!  I haven't sailed Princess in a few years, and of the other cruises I've done lately, one was a real stickler about times, another didn't care, and the other two just had hours long lines so it didn't matter when you got there.  We will opt to try to board early!!

you could check your bags with a porter & do something, but we always try to get there between 10:30 & 11 & just board, so if the IOWA is closed I would stop for wine on the way & board early...Princess boarding in Pedro is almost always quick & easy early...you could take time to wander along the waterfront after checking your luggage, you can see the IOWA, the port fire station which has viewing of the fire boats, a couple of sailor memorials & such