I hope to sail QM2 in 2024 or 2025

I Luv Crusin

Having just climbed over one of the high tubs on QM2, please do something beyond just the shower curtains. There are SO many people on this ship with physical challenges that I can’t imagine how many of them get in and out of the shower! I’ll give up the jetted tub.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:16 PM, D&N said:

Well it certainly wouldn't make me happy!

If I want to visit the British Isles, I'll jump on any of several flights per day and choose where I want to go. Although right now I can't think of anywhere that I'd rather be than here at home.

A TA is a TA, there is no substitute other than a round trip. It's what the ship was designed for. We'll repeat it around June 2025 in BC. By that time I might have convinced myself that I can manage to tear myself away from here for 15 nights.

A 15 day round trip TA would strike me as a bit too much sea time.   Because we live about an hour from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, it is great to come home from a visit with family near London - day time flight over, crash at a Heathrow hotel for the night then car service up to Herts. -- already time-adjusted - taking QM2 home gets us here with no airports at end of trip and no lag once home.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the insights in this thread and others throughout the Cunard forum! I just booked the June 9, 2024 TA from Southampton to NYC on the QM2 in Queen’s Grill class to celebrate my (hopeful) completion of my doctorate in May 2024 and the crossing coincides nicely with my birthday. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, coyboy1971 said:

Thanks for all of the insights in this thread and others throughout the Cunard forum! I just booked the June 9, 2024 TA from Southampton to NYC on the QM2 in Queen’s Grill class to celebrate my (hopeful) completion of my doctorate in May 2024 and the crossing coincides nicely with my birthday. 

I’m sure you will have a splendid time.

I "think" we are doing the QM2 for the holidays, 12/22/2024 for 12 nights Caribbean.  I hope the only thing we'll miss over a TA are the dogs.  This will tick 4 items off my wishlist. 1) QM2 herself, 2) Holiday Cruise, 3) St. Lucia, 4) Barbados. 

I post once we decide and put a deposit down.  My travel agent is holding it until we can discuss it.

15 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

I "think" we are doing the QM2 for the holidays, 12/22/2024 for 12 nights Caribbean.  I hope the only thing we'll miss over a TA are the dogs.  This will tick 4 items off my wishlist. 1) QM2 herself, 2) Holiday Cruise, 3) St. Lucia, 4) Barbados. 

I post once we decide and put a deposit down.  My travel agent is holding it until we can discuss it.

AND we did it!  AND we will see the statue of Liberty too! And not at 5am in the morning!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, I Luv Crusin said:

AND we did it!  AND we will see the statue of Liberty too! And not at 5am in the morning!

Could be even worse - the westbound December 2022 crossing had an issue with the tides coming into New York, according to the captain. He said our estimated time under the Verrazano bridge was 3:30 AM, with the Statue of Liberty coming up shortly thereafter. Decided not to get up for this particular experience (our sixth crossing on QM2).

I was awakened around 3:30 AM, most likely by the change in noises coming from the ship, glanced out the window to see where we were in relation to the bridge and noted that we were pulling up to the Brooklyn dock. Probably would have had to be out at around 2 AM or so for the bridge.

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Could be even worse - the westbound December 2022 crossing had an issue with the tides coming into New York, according to the captain. He said our estimated time under the Verrazano bridge was 3:30 AM, with the Statue of Liberty coming up shortly thereafter. Decided not to get up for this particular experience (our sixth crossing on QM2).

I was awakened around 3:30 AM, most likely by the change in noises coming from the ship, glanced out the window to see where we were in relation to the bridge and noted that we were pulling up to the Brooklyn dock. Probably would have had to be out at around 2 AM or so for the bridge.

I think that often ships get in much earlier than advertised.  After all they have to get all that luggage off and supplies on!

On 12/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, I Luv Crusin said:

With the schedules out for the Queen Mary II in 2024 and all the comments I've read about how she needs a facelift, was a drydock scheduled?  And if so, what will be done?

I wanted to do a TA from Southampton to NYC but now think we may do the British Isles cruise.  I just hope we can get a taste of what a TA would be.

Thanks!

If you ever want to travel in Europe, the best way to come home (to Virginia, presumably) is by ship -likely meaning the QM2.  You do not end your trip with a dreary flight, you gradually adjust to East Coast time, you avoid the annoying surcharge the Brits tack onto flights from the UK (which can be pretty high).   So, even if you do a British Isles cruise, why not time it to come home on QM2?  We have done that a number of times --- actually the best use of the only real ocean liner still in service. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you ever want to travel in Europe, the best way to come home (to Virginia, presumably) is by ship -likely meaning the QM2.  You do not end your trip with a dreary flight, you gradually adjust to East Coast time, you avoid the annoying surcharge the Brits tack onto flights from the UK (which can be pretty high).   So, even if you do a British Isles cruise, why not time it to come home on QM2?  We have done that a number of times --- actually the best use of the only real ocean liner still in service. 

Brits again? Always used when it’s something people don’t like. Actually it’s the UK gov, which covers  NI.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Brits again? Always used when it’s something people don’t like. Actually it’s the UK gov, which covers  NI.

Sorry - I was not aware that “Brits” was an offensive term.  Of course, the collective folks who elect a  government that passes laws are ultimately responsible for those laws— and surely you are not suggesting that NI is more responsible than the folks in England, Scotland and Wales.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sorry - I was not aware that “Brits” was an offensive term.  Of course, the collective folks who elect a  government that passes laws are ultimately responsible for those laws— and surely you are not suggesting that NI is more responsible than the folks in England, Scotland and Wales.

I and many others find it a little offensive and rather dismissive. Had you understood my post, you would have realised that I was not suggesting that, rather implying that those who live in NI may get rather bored or even a little vexed by being perpetually overlooked.

21 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I and many others find it a little offensive and rather dismissive. Had you understood my post, you would have realised that I was not suggesting that, rather implying that those who live in NI may get rather bored or even a little vexed by being perpetually overlooked.

I've taken care not to use the term since you first mentioned disliking it a few months ago (and seeing that some other British folk out there agree with you). However, please be aware that most of us over here use the term affectionately.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I've taken care not to use the term since you first mentioned disliking it a few months ago (and seeing that some other British folk out there agree with you). However, please be aware that most of us over here use the term affectionately.

Thanks, that is very sweet. Very often on here it seems to be used a little disdainfully.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Thanks, that is very sweet. Very often on here it seems to be used a little disdainfully.

I don’t think “Brits” is anything more than a very slightly lazy Americanisation. I mean we British sometimes (less so it seems) call Americans “Yanks” which may well be slightly insulting to them? 

9 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I don’t think “Brits” is anything more than a very slightly lazy Americanisation. I mean we British sometimes (less so it seems) call Americans “Yanks” which may well be slightly insulting to them? 

I’m sure it is and try to avoid it in that account.

On 12/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, techteach said:

Having just climbed over one of the high tubs on QM2, please do something beyond just the shower curtains. There are SO many people on this ship with physical challenges that I can’t imagine how many of them get in and out of the shower! I’ll give up the jetted tub.

It's a shame that so many cabins have a tub without an additional shower stall. Even the majority of Queen's Grill staterooms on the QM2 have a tub with overhead shower - as do all Princess Grill cabins on all three Queens.  My wife is finding it extremely difficult to get into a tub. On our recent QE cruise in PG we were able to get a wooden stool to assist. Mind you, I had to sign a form to promise to never sue the Carnival Corp. for any mishap.

As for boredom on traditional crossings, I have made 15 (not all on Cunard) and never been bored for a moment. But I do understand that others will experience it differently.

The QM2 is referred to as getting old by some people, but in reality she is middle-aged. P&O's Canberra was 30 on our last cruise aboard her and she was in great shape.  The QE2 was 39 when we had our last crossing in her - just months before retirement - and to me she was in splendid shape. The shower curtain in our humble cabin had been replaced with a glass door, so there is hope for the other Cunard ships.

In Q5/6s on QM2, it is not just that there is no separate shower, it is the nature of the bath itself. Because it functions as a jacuzzi - why on earth would one want that? - it is small and high sided, so not awfully good as a bath. If it were longer, with lower sides, access would be easier. When we were put into a sheltered balcony for quarantine, it was a real boon having a walk-in shower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

In Q5/6s on QM2, it is not just that there is no separate shower, it is the nature of the bath itself. Because it functions as a jacuzzi - why on earth would one want that? - it is small and high sided, so not awfully good as a bath. If it were longer, with lower sides, access would be easier. When we were put into a sheltered balcony for quarantine, it was a real boon having a walk-in shower.

What proportion of people have a Bath these days? I think my last was in a kitzbuhel hotel about 9 years ago with lots of skiing aches and pains. Quite happily have suites with no baths… and decent rainfall showers. 

10 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

What proportion of people have a Bath these days? I think my last was in a kitzbuhel hotel about 9 years ago with lots of skiing aches and pains. Quite happily have suites with no baths… and decent rainfall showers. 

I love baths, and have them whenever I can, particularly on holiday. But I do like to

stretch out in them with only my neck and head sticking out. This is not possible on QM2. Much better on the Vistas, except they don’t have a light over the bath, so it is rather dark for reading.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

I don't find "Yanks" insulting, for what it's worth; kind of charming, in my opinion, even when used by people from south of the Mason-Dixon line. And "Americans" excludes a lot of territory to the north and south, and "People from the United States" is a mouthful.

My wife, on the other hand, spent her high school years in Canada during the Vietnam war, and she tells me she often heard it in a derogatory context, so it troubles her. And of course back in the mid-20th Century, we heard a lot about "Yanqui go home" from our southern neighbors ... so maybe I'm under-sensitive :)

18 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Me for a start!

I have a bath every single morning and have done so for as long as I remember.