Quick review of N Statendam

Banditswife

Just pulling out of Curacao now.  Awesome view of the Queen Julianne bridge backlit by midnight moonlight.

As far as the NS cruise is going, great comedian called Cisco,. BB Kings is a bit mediocre this time ( I think the sound system is a bit muddy sounding) but Rock Room is pretty good.  Lincoln Center is  excellent as always. step One dance hasn't performed yet.

Edited by AFNavigator

7 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Yep, HAL needs to get their act together, are they going to go out of business if you get a second appetizer.

Likely not, but it will definitely affect their bottom line if a lot of people get multiple apps consistently over time. It adds up..

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That should be covered easily by the surcharge. 

I agree, Pinnacle is $46 per person.  I feel that this is just silly to charge for a 2nd app, especially when I can order multiple sides w/o upcharge.  For me, I just wanted to try the "clothesline bacon" while still having a small salad.  I also found it odd that they added a gratuity to the $7, making it over $8.  

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That should be covered easily by the surcharge. 

Not necessarily. Depends on a few factors, such as how many additional apps (on average) the typical PG guest will have. Trust me, the bean counters at HAL have these numbers.

My personal experience prior to adding the surcharge was that I have seen various guests on different occasions order multiple apps along with their main, sides and desserts.

And the surcharge doesn't apply to the more and more folks that are receiving a 'free' PG dinner as part of their HIA, or any other promo they may have.

Edited by KroozNut

On 12/11/2022 at 5:46 PM, rodndonna said:

We were a bit surprised that there was no charge for extra appetizers in the Tamarind (I had thought is was new rule for all speciality dining). I asked if we could order 3 and the waitress said we could have as many appetizers as we wanted. 🙂

Don’t worry, the extra charge will be coming to a Tamarind near you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

I agree, Pinnacle is $46 per person.  I feel that this is just silly to charge for a 2nd app, especially when I can order multiple sides w/o upcharge.  For me, I just wanted to try the "clothesline bacon" while still having a small salad.  I also found it odd that they added a gratuity to the $7, making it over $8.  

I am speculating that less than 20% of the Pinnacle guests pay the $46. With mariner discounts and free dinners with HAL's offers the $46 charge is almost irrelevant. 

• Like 1

This whole app surcharge thing is bothering me.  I have frequently gone to dinner at PG when not too hungry and had my favorite meal:  Lobster bisque, bacon, and steak tartare.  Yeah, that's all!!  No "main entree". Just three appetizers.  Can't even recall how many times I've done that, most recently on the 150th anniversary cruise on Rotterdam just two months ago.

53 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

This whole app surcharge thing is bothering me.  I have frequently gone to dinner at PG when not too hungry and had my favorite meal:  Lobster bisque, bacon, and steak tartare.  Yeah, that's all!!  No "main entree". Just three appetizers.  Can't even recall how many times I've done that, most recently on the 150th anniversary cruise on Rotterdam just two months ago.

If you're willing to sacrifice the presentation, maybe you can ask the staff to plate the steak tartare and bacon together and treat it as a "main". Then ask for a small dish to move the bacon after you get the course. Of course, it won't be an instagram-friendly option but I'm sure you have tons of bacon clothesline pics by now. It does remove the "premium" dining experience though lol.

I do agree with others who believe because of HIA, HAL is devaluing the Pinnacle Grille due to higher usage and on ironically Pinnacle class ships - steering those who seek a premium dining experience to Sel de Mer.

• Like 1