Princess Cays

cathj003

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/308-private-islands/

basically, you can snorkel right around the wooden pier and there are a ton of fish there. Bring some hot dog or hamburger buns with you from the buffet, and they'll have a feast, while you are having the time of your life. Have somebody throw pieces of bread into water off of the pier so you don't have to deal with soggy bread while snorkeling.

11 minutes ago, cathj003 said:

I will be going to the Caribbean with a stop at Princess Cays. I’d love to know more about Princess Cays, especially about the snorkeling. I’d appreciate any information you can share.

Lifelong diver here. The snorkeling at PC is pretty basic, definitely not Bonaire or Coz standards. As you ride the tender in to the dock, look off to your left (towards the north) maybe a hundred yards up the beach and you'll see a structure jutting out onto the water with a red roof, basically a lifeguard station/observation deck. That's about the best snorkeling you will find at PC, either around/underneath the structure or on what passes for a reef just to the north of the structure.  Viz can be iffy, especially on windy days but you'll see small schools of the ubiquitous sergeant majors etc.

Some other tips not related directly to snorkeling. Bring water/beach shoes. Entry into the water from the beach is full of coral pebbles, not sharp but difficult on bare feet. Clam shells can get hot. The beach to the north as you exit the tender is nicer than the one across the bridge. Arrive early if you wish to have a nice spot on the beach. There are quite a few shady areas under palms but the fill quickly. Drink package works on Princess Cays, but there is no fountain soda available. 

• Like 1

Princess Cays is a great beach day.

Not really the best or most gorgeous beach.

Not the best snorkeling. 

But, a great beach day.  Especially when escaping the cold 'up North'!

The fish do hang out around the rocks at the base of the viewing pier.

I have seen people get in at the small beach/inlet North of the main beaches, in front of the bungalows. And then snorkel down from there.

There is a snorkel excursion. You can pull up Excursions for Princess Cays on your booking, and see reviews.  I think it gets mixed reviews.  We have never done that, so I don't know if maybe on some days the Excursion and the location that they visit might be better than others.

There is a decent buffet there, They used to have chicken and maybe fish for sandwiches, in addition to the burgers, hotdogs, and some kind of barbeque.

The shaded loungers will go first.

There are TONS of loungers everywhere!

But, get off the ship right away if you want one in shade.

The smaller and less crowded areas are to the South.  Across the little bridge.

The main beach area, which is larger and probably more crowded beach area, is to the North.

If you want to think about going South, you might want to make sure the Bar and Buffet on that side will be open.  It probably will be, but I have heard of cruises that were understaffed, and maybe not booked up, when they didn't open that side.

21 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

If you want to think about going South, you might want to make sure the Bar and Buffet on that side will be open.  It probably will be, but I have heard of cruises that were understaffed, and maybe not booked up, when they didn't open that side.

They'll block off access if everything isn't open but lately the ships are filled so doubt if anything will be closed. 

21 hours ago, skynight said:

There are quite a few shady areas under palms but the fill quickly. Drink package works on Princess Cays, but there is no fountain soda available. 

We try to get there as early as possible for the best choice of seats.

It you arrive at 11 AM, good luck finding shade. 

I was able to visit Princess Cay, Half Moon Cay, Coco Cay and Labadee this year and without a doubt Princess Cay had the worst beach, amenities/facilities and overall vibe (in my opinion) than the other places. I would stay on the ship and plan to snorkel/dive at a better stop.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 555 said:

We try to get there as early as possible for the best choice of seats.

It you arrive at 11 AM, good luck finding shade. 

Alternately, we got off the ship around noon when some who went early were returning to the ship. Had lunch and easily found chairs in the shade. The tendering back to the ship is a real pain with lines in the afternoon, though. It was our 3rd visit here, we have decided next time we will stay on the somewhat less crowded ship for the day. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cwtravel said:

I was able to visit Princess Cay, Half Moon Cay, Coco Cay and Labadee this year and without a doubt Princess Cay had the worst beach, amenities/facilities and overall vibe (in my opinion) than the other places. I would stay on the ship and plan to snorkel/dive at a better stop.

I do agree that it's no where's near as good as what the other cruise lines provide so sometimes we stay on the ship also for a relaxing day without the big crowds.

Lately more and more people are doing likewise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cwtravel said:

Princess Cay had the worst beach... I would stay on the ship and plan to snorkel/dive at a better stop.

if you cruise multiple times a year and can forgo one beach day - sure, have at it.

But we only cruise twice a year if that, so skipping a beautiful beach day just because "it's worse than some other beaches" doesn't seem like such a good idea.

• Like 2