Haven Restaurant Service Charges? Are these new?

Labracadabra

It’s been said multiple times, but I’ll just say it again anyway — always make sure you check your account, every day or close to it.  The NCL app has the charges, but the TV breaks out charges and non-refundable OBC separately so you can see where they don’t apply the OBC. 

But checking is good not just NCL, but anywhere you stay. We had a pet charge on a hotel stay in Universal Orlando.  We didn’t have pets, and the date of the charge was the day before we checked in!  Mistakes happen. Always check the bill. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't that always how it is?  I honestly don't remember ever being asked my cabin number.  

At the risk of sounding snobby...that's not how it works in the Haven. After the first day, the host/servers never ask for your card...well, I should say, they never ask for my card after the first day. They've memorized who we are - we're fat, hairy gays...it's hard to mistake us for someone else.

One day the staff did add the cost of three drinks to our tab (which my husband did consume). We did not sign a receipt or any other piece of paper. The onboard invoice didn't state what the cost was for, how many were purchased, or any other details. We went to the concierge, and were told "it" would be handled. Suddenly, the charges were deleted and we didn't owe $20 for three mocktails. 

If the poster is telling the truth (I still kind of doubt the story), then let the lesson be learned that they should always, always, always check their onboard account and discuss any discrepancies with the concierge. The issue will be handled in a matter of minutes. 

12 hours ago, Shidah said:

$7 is also the price of a bottle of sparkling water.  These are definitely drink charges.  The charge to have a guest is $50.  

I agree 100% with you...drinks the OP likely purchased, but didn't want to pay for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember the horror of being on my first solo vacation, very strict budget, going to check out and finding a $500 minibar charge on my account. Freaked out because it wasn't mine (don't drink) and didn't have that kind of money to just write off. I was young and scared but at least had the presence of mind to point out to the clerk that in the week I was at the resort I had eaten in all the restaurants and had room service and not once purchased an alcoholic beverage, so what were the odds I'd clean out the mini bar? They zeroed it out. But I've always wondered what would have happened if I DID drink here and there if they would have done the same.

Always, always check the charges as you go through the week (not daily, but well before end of cruise!)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

At the risk of sounding snobby...that's not how it works in the Haven. After the first day, the host/servers never ask for your card...well, I should say, they never ask for my card after the first day. They've memorized who we are - we're fat, hairy gays...it's hard to mistake us for someone else.

One day the staff did add the cost of three drinks to our tab (which my husband did consume). We did not sign a receipt or any other piece of paper. The onboard invoice didn't state what the cost was for, how many were purchased, or any other details. We went to the concierge, and were told "it" would be handled. Suddenly, the charges were deleted and we didn't owe $20 for three mocktails. 

If the poster is telling the truth (I still kind of doubt the story), then let the lesson be learned that they should always, always, always check their onboard account and discuss any discrepancies with the concierge. The issue will be handled in a matter of minutes. 

I agree 100% with you...drinks the OP likely purchased, but didn't want to pay for. 

Nope, I am happy to pay for drinks -- please see that we happily paid for a bottle of wine above the PBP package at Cagney's.  Plus, I hate sparkling water. 

This is probably a mistake on NCLs part and a lesson for me to deal with everything before disembarkation-- nothing more. I posted about it because it was my first time in the Haven and wanted to see if these charges were normal before I raised the issue with NCL.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

At the risk of sounding snobby...that's not how it works in the Haven.

Well, at the risk of sounding steerage, that Haven "feature" sounds like more of a glitch.  I've always been asked for my card and never had an erroneous charge on my account.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

What's odd and head-scatching is on 12/9, there is a $2.47 charge for Laundry, Check 7844 ???  Huh, what was that for - extra surcharge for grease removal ?  That's really fishy, someone want to justify and explain it ?  

We always check & review our daily charges and credit adjustments posted to our onboard account for unusual transactions, and would definitely not disembark the ship until satisfactory answer is given and errors in possible dispute are resolved, settled and close out. 

The other recourse now, already suggested, notify & inform one's credit card issuer ...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, at the risk of sounding steerage, that Haven "feature" sounds like more of a glitch.  I've always been asked for my card and never had an erroneous charge on my account.😎

Oh, I knew I'd get you to respond! It works...until it doesn't. I suppose that's the definition of a glitch though eh? You know, I have graced the halls of deck five with my Haven self...I'm sure steerage was all a flutter over that! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You know, I have graced the halls of deck five with my Haven self...I'm sure steerage was all a flutter over that! 

Yep.  We talked about it for days.  One guy's theory was that you had too much of that fine Brandy after dinner and got lost.  It wasn't quite as shocking as when Rose went down with Jack to party with the peasants in steerage, but almost.  We nicknamed you Cal and just hoped that the lifeboats wouldn't be needed. 🤣

ETA: just to get back on topic.... What us peasants in steerage do is look up the Haven cabin numbers and then order drinks at bars and tell them we lost our key card, but will they just take our cabin number?  It works more often than you would think!  (jk - no need to call in the mods)

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, NJLVW said:

Curious question for the OP. Did you book the Haven out right or did you win a bid or upgrade? This may make a difference. Please advise us as I did not see this anywhere in this thread. TY

Oooooooooo! Ok, this may make me change my opinion! 

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  We talked about it for days.  One guy's theory was that you had too much of that fine Brandy after dinner and got lost.  It wasn't quite as shocking as when Rose went down with Jack to party with the peasants in steerage, but almost.  We nicknamed you Cal and just hoped that the lifeboats wouldn't be needed. 🤣

ETA: just to get back on topic.... What us peasants in steerage do is look up the Haven cabin numbers and then order drinks at bars and tell them we lost our key card, but will they just take our cabin number?  It works more often than you would think!  (jk - no need to call in the mods)

Don't worry, I'll curtsy my way out...I just think it's more dramatic than a bow is all!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NJLVW said:

Curious question for the OP. Did you book the Haven out right or did you win a bid or upgrade? This may make a difference. Please advise us as I did not see this anywhere in this thread. TY

11 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Why would that make a difference ? Both those who booked a Haven cabin and those who won an upgrade are entitled to eat in the Haven Restaurant at no charge and what, if anything, you pay for beverages is determined by whether you have the Unlimited Open Bar Package, the Premium Plus Beverage Package, or no beverage package, not your cabin category.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Why would that make a difference ? Both those who booked a Haven cabin and those who won an upgrade are entitled to eat in the Haven Restaurant at no charge and what, if anything, you pay for beverages is determined by whether you have the Unlimited Open Bar Package, the Premium Plus Beverage Package, or no beverage package, not your cabin category.

Oh, I know and agree with you! I might actually believe this happened if the person went from non-Haven to Haven as the computer system may have glitched out, not recognizing the upgrade. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Don't worry, I'll curtsy my way out...I just think it's more dramatic than a bow is all!

This is steerage.  We're all so drunk that we won't care and won't notice your exit (dramatic or not).  Life is easy (and fun!) in steerage.  Nobody takes nothin' serious.  We're on vacation D$%nit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Labracadabra said:

This is probably a mistake on NCLs part and a lesson for me to deal with everything before disembarkation-- nothing more. I posted about it because it was my first time in the Haven and wanted to see if these charges were normal before I raised the issue with NCL.

I'm sure and sorry for the crazy, rude or unhelpful responses you've had to deal with here. 😳 You didn't come to CC so that posters could solve your problem, to start drama and chaos or to lie about charges for things you knew you ordered but wanted to complain about paying for. You clearly asked an honest question because you'd never been in the Haven and wasn't sure these charges were normal (or new.)

Keep us posted on your response from NCL!  (and I hope you try the Haven again!)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NJLVW said:

I asked this because on the shorter cruise the OP could have booked a sail away rate and won an upgrade. In that case there would not be a FAS perk. They would still have the Haven perks however, a mistake could have been made which would be why they were charged. A glitch in the computer? Could happen. Order after dinner coffee or drink? We will never really know what the charges are as the invoice only shows a part of it. I hope when NCL looks at the invoice they will see it is a mistake as they do not charge for the Haven dining room. Good luck getting it taken care of. Please come back and let us know the outcome. 

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Never get asked for my card and never had a erroneous charge my account in the Haven.

Its just how it is as its a fairly small number of people/groups that they deal with. The hostess knows our name by the 2nd or 3rd time at most. They also leave a note for the waiter who we are so they don't need to ask.

The bartenders don't really rotate so if you drink fairly often they know you fairly well as well.

There is nothing "steerage" about your comment its just that the service in Haven is different than the main ship. One is meant to be a tailored lower capacity experience and the other is meant to be an amazing cruise on a large ship.

• Like 1

Assuming it was another cabin's charges put on your folio accidentally, I wonder if there is another family looking over their folio thinking, "Wow, they didn't charge us when Joe and Sally joined us for dinner" or "Junior had a couple of beers, but I guess they were free" 😁

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

15 hours ago, NJLVW said:

Booked the Haven outright.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Labracadabra said:

Booked the Haven outright.

Then definitely they should give you your money back. There is never a charge in the Haven restaurant unless purchase drinks that are not covered. When sending your documents to NCL be sure to send a copy of your invoice and original booking invoice. It may take them a few weeks but I am sure they will take care of it. Good luck. 

We had an oddity in our billing this week on breakaway.

First thing we did when we got onboard was upgrade to plus drink package.

Later that night my wife turns on the TV while I run to the bathroom and I hear a loud *****!

I go out and our account says we owe almost 1500. Plus upgrade was just shy of 500, and outside of that there was day 1 taxes on drinks.

We had gone to bistro for dinner, ordered a bottle of wine from plus, she ordered some vueve later, our bill at the end of dinner was 0.

Yet our account had both the charge for plus and the full retail charge for every plus drink that night.

I ran to guest services and they fixed it right away, but perhaps something similar happened to you. A glitch in billing charging you for included items

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Never get asked for my card and never had a erroneous charge my account in the Haven.

There is nothing "steerage" about your comment its just that the service in Haven is different than the main ship.

Exactly.  I always get asked for my card because I always sail in steerage because....

the other is meant to be an amazing cruise on a large ship.

I use the term steerage affectionately, not in a derogatory way.  A few of my good friends here on the forum understand that when I use the term and we joke about it at times.  I like to send the message to the casual reader/cruiser that they can have a fantastic time in any cabin on the ship and they don't need to be in the Haven to have a good vacation.😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NJLVW said:

Then definitely they should give you your money back. There is never a charge in the Haven restaurant unless purchase drinks that are not covered. When sending your documents to NCL be sure to send a copy of your invoice and original booking invoice. It may take them a few weeks but I am sure they will take care of it. Good luck. 

Once again, it has absolutely nothing to do with whether they booked the Haven or were upgraded to the Haven. Every Haven passenger, regardless of how they got there, dines in the Haven restaurant at no additional charge.

Charges for beverages are solely the product of what type of beverage package you have, if any.  We always decline the beverage package regardless of whether we're in the Haven because we  booked it, in the Haven because we were upgraded,  or we're in an ordinary non Haven cabin. Haven passengers aren't gifted a beverage package just by virtue of being in the Haven, regardless of whether they booked the Haven or were upgraded to the Haven.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Once again, it has absolutely nothing to do with whether they booked the Haven or were upgraded to the Haven. Every Haven passenger, regardless of how they got there, dines in the Haven restaurant at no additional charge.

Charges for beverages are solely the product of what type of beverage package you have, if any.  We always decline the beverage package regardless of whether we're in the Haven because we  booked it, in the Haven because we were upgraded,  or we're in an ordinary non Haven cabin. Haven passengers aren't gifted a beverage package just by virtue of being in the Haven, regardless of whether they booked the Haven or were upgraded to the Haven.

I know it has nothing to do with whether they booked the Haven or not. I only mentioned it that if they had booked a sailaway rate there was no FAS. So, someone may have made an error in the computer system that charged them. There is no reason they will not get reimbursed for the error. However, they should send all the documents as proof seeing as though they are not currently on the ship. That was my point. Also, if they purchased specialty coffee or drinks that were not included in their package then they could have been charged for that as well. I just hope when they submit everything they get reimbursed quickly.