Haven Restaurant Service Charges? Are these new?

Labracadabra

Hi Everyone,

I'm just off the Getaway and we had our first time in the Haven. It was nice, but we were surprised to have a 20% service charge added to our bill (on top of the daily gratuities) for each meal at the Haven restaurant and each round at the Haven bar (we had the premium plus drink package). There were only two of us, so this wasn't a charge added because we were a large group.

I don't know if I just missed the fine print, but I thought the Haven restaurant was included and a 20% service charge doesn't feel "included" to me, since there isn't a similar charge at MDR or the buffet.  Ditto the 20% service charge at the bar when we already paid daily service charges and drink package service charges . . .and I always tip cash as well. 

Are these charges new or have I been living under a rock?

BTW, the charges for dinner were around $30 (we each only got an entrée, dessert and a glass of wine each) and breakfast was $28 (I had eggs benedict, my husband had waffles). At 20%, that $28 charge means NCL valued that breakfast at $140. 

Besides these charges, we came away unimpressed by the food and service in the Haven. We never saw a waiter on the sundeck and empty drink cups piled up around the hot tubs. The steaks in the restaurant were incredibly thin and my husband had to request a knife to cut a brownie dessert because it was so tough. "Priority" disembarkation took over an hour. The entire experience was a huge letdown after hearing the Haven talked up so much. 

• Like 1

NEVER experienced that. How is it listed on your bill? Did you sign a receipt with each meal or drink? I’m not usually one to make a stink, but I’d dispute that. Especially since you have already paid the daily service charge and the gratuity on the drink package. That is double dipping.

• Like 3

I've never heard of such a thing.  The only time I've heard of Haven dining charges is for non-Haven guests.  The $30 you mentioned is in the ballpark of what I've heard for non-Haven guests.

I would immediately call the shore-based concierge desk.  Here's the number:   1-855-625-4283. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Labracadabra said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm just off the Getaway and we had our first time in the Haven. It was nice, but we were surprised to have a 20% service charge added to our bill (on top of the daily gratuities) for each meal at the Haven restaurant and each round at the Haven bar (we had the premium plus drink package). There were only two of us, so this wasn't a charge added because we were a large group.

I don't know if I just missed the fine print, but I thought the Haven restaurant was included and a 20% service charge doesn't feel "included" to me, since there isn't a similar charge at MDR or the buffet.  Ditto the 20% service charge at the bar when we already paid daily service charges and drink package service charges . . .and I always tip cash as well. 

Are these charges new or have I been living under a rock?

BTW, the charges for dinner were around $30 (we each only got an entrée, dessert and a glass of wine each) and breakfast was $28 (I had eggs benedict, my husband had waffles). At 20%, that $28 charge means NCL valued that breakfast at $140. 

The NCL website says that the Haven restaurant is complimentary for Haven guests.  

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/whats-on-board

You need to call that number.

Please report back.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

Something really doesn't make any sense. Will be on the Getaway on 1-8-2023 in the Haven. Their is no way in hell I'm paying a 20% service fee for anything on top of what we already paid

Per NCL's Website......

The Haven Restaurant

Enjoy a private fine dining experience for guests of The Haven, serving unique signature dishes and wine offerings from our impressive selection.

• Price Per Person: Complimentary for guests of The Haven

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3

After 42 minutes on hold waiting for the concierge, I was advised to fill out the guest relations form to request an itemized copy of our bill.  I'll do that and update if/when I hear back.  The lesson here is to check the bill before you disembark, I guess. 

If anyone is in the Haven now and sees these charges, heads up!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Labracadabra said:

Thank you for all of the replies -- I should note that the Haven restaurant menu DID say there was a 20% service charge. We never signed anything and it was listed on our bill simply as "Haven Restaurant."

I'll call the shore concierge and see what's up.  

All NCL menus state about the gratuity. It means that you will be charged the gratuity if you incur any charges (ie drinks not covered by packages).

I don’t think that this was a gratuity. It sounds incorrect though. Maybe there was an error on your account setup so the system was charging you for things that should have been included (ie you were charged the cover charge for non Haven guests).

1 hour ago, Labracadabra said:

Thank you for all of the replies -- I should note that the Haven restaurant menu DID say there was a 20% service charge. We never signed anything and it was listed on our bill simply as "Haven Restaurant."

I'll call the shore concierge and see what's up.  

Was this a one-time charge or was this service charge applied for each and every meal in the Haven?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Labracadabra said:

After 42 minutes on hold waiting for the concierge, I was advised to fill out the guest relations form to request an itemized copy of our bill.  I'll do that and update if/when I hear back.  The lesson here is to check the bill before you disembark, I guess. 

If anyone is in the Haven now and sees these charges, heads up!

I'm amazed.  I've never waited more than three minutes to speak with a concierge.

• Like 1

We were on this sailing, not in the Haven so I can’t weigh in on that , but I can say that I heard lots of people had problems with their bills, ie they had the beverage plan but every drink they had was charged to their bill. I had a minor issue myself in that I was billed full price for one drink that should have been covered by the plan. There was a huge line at guest services on Sat afternoon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Was this a one-time charge or was this service charge applied for each and every meal in the Haven?

It was a charge for each and every meal in the Haven restaurant and for each round of drinks in the Haven bar. The charges varied from between $28 and $37 for each meal (so likely not an erroneous charge for a non-Haven diner), and $8.20 to $8.40 for each round of drinks. The drinks charges were too low to be charges for the drinks (since most cocktails are $12 and up). 

14 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

We were on this sailing, not in the Haven so I can’t weigh in on that , but I can say that I heard lots of people had problems with their bills, ie they had the beverage plan but every drink they had was charged to their bill. I had a minor issue myself in that I was billed full price for one drink that should have been covered by the plan. There was a huge line at guest services on Sat afternoon.

I'm sorry to hear so many people -- including you --  had issues. That makes me think the charges are likely in error, and maybe not an extra Haven service charge. Although I remember the Haven restaurant menu listing a 20% service charge.  Now I wonder if I read it wrong.  I wish I had taken a picture of it. 

26 minutes ago, Labracadabra said:

It was a charge for each and every meal in the Haven restaurant and for each round of drinks in the Haven bar. The charges varied from between $28 and $37 for each meal (so likely not an erroneous charge for a non-Haven diner), and $8.20 to $8.40 for each round of drinks. The drinks charges were too low to be charges for the drinks (since most cocktails are $12 and up). 

$28-$37 as a 20% service charge on a meal is certainly erroneous! NCL is proud of their food, but a meal being $140-$185 for entree and dessert as you stated is way too high! I really hope you get this worked out-I would’ve gone through the roof!

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

$28-$37 as a 20% service charge on a meal is certainly erroneous! NCL is proud of their food, but a meal being $140-$185 for entree and dessert as you stated is way too high! I really hope you get this worked out-I would’ve gone through the roof!

As I've said, there is no charge for Haven meals so obviously there are no prices on the menu. So 20% of what???

I can't imagine that anyone being presented with such a bill would actually sign it. Surely there were passengers on the sailing who had been Haven guests in the past and I can't imagine the issue not being raised by one of those passengers immediately upon the first presentation of a check to sign . That's why I find this very fishy. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

As I've said, there is no charge for Haven meals so obviously there are no prices on the menu. So 20% of what???

I can't imagine that anyone being presented with such a bill would actually sign it. Surely there were passengers on the sailing who had been Haven guests in the past and I can't imagine the issue not being raised by one of those passengers immediately upon the first presentation of a check to sign . That's why I find this very fishy. 

Not making it up. I just blocked out my husband's and my names. 

notmakingthisup.jpg

• Like 2