Sorry questions from 1st time on Cunard

getting older slowly

Hi All

Sorry about basic questions... but I like things to go as smoothly as possible..

We are going on the QE in 2 months for a short cruise from Australia and are staying in a Princess Grill Cabin

Rather excited about trying a new cruise line  and have not long to wait ......

We are in our 60's and have only 100+ days of cruising so far

Questions :-

Our dinner time in the Princess Grill is 6pm..... which is a little for us 7pm would be a lot better

Can we change this once on board ??

'Gala night Theme.... is a suit and tie all right ??

Boarding times     do you think there is any chance of being on board for lunch ??

If so what is open.... ?

Any other hints  would be very nice

Many Thanks   Don and Magda

Hi Don and Magda. You're welcome to dine anytime in the Princess Grill during their opening hours for each meal. So they mean to indicate that 6pm is the start of dinner rather than it being your set time to arrive. Arrive at a time that suits you - I assume the latest arrival time for dinner would be something like 9pm but others can confirm.

You will probably be on-board for lunch on embarkation day (your boarding time might depend on the covid caseload amongst the disembarking passengers and whether this causes a delay). The PG dining room will almost certainly be open for lunch. I would go to my cabin, drop the hand luggage and go to the dining room. There may be a card in the cabin with your table number or in any case the MD at the dining room will know where you're sitting. There's also the buffet where the food is very good. I'm not sure if the Golden Lion pub would be open on embarkation day but it may be. The Golden Lion has traditional English pub food - meals are included in your fare.

A dark suit and tie would be perfectly acceptable for a Gala night. Do you have a Gala night during your 3 day voyage?

Have you managed to log into the 'Manage My Booking' area of the Cunard website? That will tell you whether you have a Gala night and what the theme will be.

There's also a spa on board (near the gym) which is rather nice if you like an indoor warm water spa and a place to relax. I understand since covid they may be taking timed bookings for this so check on board if it interests you.

Make sure you go to the library as it's quite special.

Cunard have lots of activities on board such as trivia, talks and musical performances as well as the shows in the evening in the theatre. There's also ballroom dancing in the Queen's room mainly at night, and including some dance classes during the day. I hear there's a nightclub somewhere on board where there's other sorts of dancing if that's of interest.

There's a dedicated Grills lounge where they sometimes serve afternoon tea. If it's not there on your voyage it will be in the PG dining room. All ship's passengers may attend afternoon tea in the Queens room. Grills' Lounge also serves drinks.

If there's a particular type of activity or area you'd like to know about, a more specific question would elicit lots of information from the very knowledgeable people here.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi All

Sorry about basic questions... but I like things to go as smoothly as possible..

We are going on the QE in 2 months for a short cruise from Australia and are staying in a Princess Grill Cabin

Rather excited about trying a new cruise line  and have not long to wait ......

We are in our 60's and have only 100+ days of cruising so far

Questions :-

Our dinner time in the Princess Grill is 6pm..... which is a little for us 7pm would be a lot better

Can we change this once on board ?? You can dine at any time from 6:30 until 9:00pm at you own table.

'Gala night Theme.... is a suit and tie all right ?? That's the minimum, but most men will wear a dinner suit.

Boarding times     do you think there is any chance of being on board for lunch ??

If so what is open.... ? The PG restaurant will open for lunch at 1:pm. Arrive at midday.

Any other hints  would be very nice

Many Thanks   Don and Magda

Yes, dinner is at any time between 6 and 9. I have seen people tip up at about 8.58, though I think that is rather mean. Anyway just turn up when you fancy. You don’t have to arrange anything.

There is embarkation day lunch in the PG restaurant, and I find it very soothing, after travelling to the port and worrying about stuff, and embarkation, and security. It doesn’t usually start until 1, or even 1.30, and finishes an hour and a half later, so you shouldn’t miss it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2022 at 12:55 AM, LittleFish1976 said:

It was served in the PG dining room last time I was on board, pre-pandemic. It's a shame as it's much nicer in the Grills' Lounge.

Our first voyage on the QE was in 2013. Tea was served in the Grills lounge, which was very nice. The problem was it was often full, so the passengers arriving later were served in the PG.  I suppose someone decided they may as well just serve it to everyone in the PG.

On our Alaska cruise in June there were very few passengers taking tea in the PG. They could have easily managed everyone in the Grills lounge - at least on that voyage.

7 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Our first voyage on the QE was in 2013. Tea was served in the Grills lounge, which was very nice. The problem was it was often full, so the passengers arriving later were served in the PG.  I suppose someone decided they may as well just serve it to everyone in the PG.

On our Alaska cruise in June there were very few passengers taking tea in the PG. They could have easily managed everyone in the Grills lounge - at least on that voyage.

Afternoon tea in PG on QV was poorly attended and no atmosphere so we stopped going and went to Queens Room instead.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:55 AM, LittleFish1976 said:

It was served in the PG dining room last time I was on board, pre-pandemic. It's a shame as it's much nicer in the Grills' Lounge.

QM2 tea in October was either Grills' Lounge or Queens Room

Lounge tea was better - the tea itself and the food and the speed of service, but the atmosphere in the QR is better.  Did both (not on the same day, mind)

Edited by buchanan101

18 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

On sunny days, aftgernoon tea (an abridged version) is served on Deck 12.

Also outside on deck 11 although purists might be unhappy at the sight of Early Grey served in an earthenware mug!

When wrapped up in deck blankets on a cold day, taking the fresh air, a hot mug of tea is most welcome.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Afternoon tea in PG on QV was poorly attended and no atmosphere so we stopped going and went to Queens Room instead.

I have yet to take afternoon tea in the Queens Room as it always looks too busy.

Getting a table for afternoon tea [for him, a cup of, for me] in the Grills' lounge could prove difficult, especially on wet days and whilst it certainly doesn't appear as popular an event now it's held in PG, we like the tranquility of the bright and airy PG restaurant especially as we can gaze out at the ocean.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I have yet to take afternoon tea in the Queens Room as it always looks too busy.

Getting a table for afternoon tea [for him, a cup of, for me] in the Grills' lounge could prove difficult, especially on wet days and whilst it certainly doesn't appear as popular an event now it's held in PG, we like the tranquility of the bright and airy PG restaurant especially as we can gaze out at the ocean.

Yes, I prefer it in the restaurant. There is lots of space on the table, and the comparative height of chairs and tables in the lounge meant we had to lean over rather awkwardly to deal with our food.

17 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Just get there at 3:25; yes it's busy and yes the service is poorer, but we headed for seats by the windows (deck 3 on QM2 so low down) and had great views of the room and the sea

25 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

QM2 tea in October was either Grills' Lounge or Queens Room

Lounge tea was better - the tea itself and the food and the speed of service, but the atmosphere in the QR is better.  Did both (not on the same day, mind)

Atmosphere is such a subjective feeling. Passing by, I thought the QR too busy and too fussy and not my kind of place for a peaceful afternoon tea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Just get there at 3:25; yes it's busy and yes the service is poorer, but we headed for seats by the windows (deck 3 on QM2 so low down) and had great views of the room and the sea

So out in the sticks has a better atmosphere? 🙂

Think we'll stick to a table upstairs.  If most prefer the Queens Room, then more space and tranquility upstairs for us.

Just now, Victoria2 said:

So out in the sticks has a better atmosphere? 🙂

Think we'll stick to a table upstairs.  If most prefer the Queens Room, then more space and tranquility upstairs for us.

Yes, I like sea watching, OH likes people watching so being at the side by the windows is great...

Grills Lounge was also pretty busy if you didn't get there on time, but this was QM2 and I think tea is served in PG restaurant on QE/QV/(QA?)

54 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Yes, I like sea watching, OH likes people watching so being at the side by the windows is great...

Grills Lounge was also pretty busy if you didn't get there on time, but this was QM2 and I think tea is served in PG restaurant on QE/QV/(QA?)

Yes. QV/QE,

A windowless [if the plans are to be believed] lounge on QA  will be interesting. Might be a restaurant again.

Might not too. We will find out in '24. 🙂

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Yes. QV/QE,

A windowless [if the plans are to be believed] lounge on QA  will be interesting. Might be a restaurant again.

Might not too. We will find out in '24. 🙂

Assume you mean Grills Lounge as Queens room has windows.

Lounge doesn't look that big

image.png.81e1f16dfab695ebd7ed49ab39ff6b91.png

image.png.c691e3dcd20dd74d6a89747b1d1ea1a2.png

39 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

It does look a tad pokey doesn't it.

Afternoon tea round at ours then!  😅

The QG restaurant looks good in that most tables are by the windows or very close. Downgraded to PG for QA though - trying to be slightly sensible with costs this time. (QA PG seems a touch cheaper than QM2 PG, but there again the cabins aren't as good...no quite so bothered about a cabin size on a fjord trip in midsummer)

I think the lounge has a large skylight though:

image.png.f8a46927c3b5f20a2aa591cb596f0a24.png

Edited by buchanan101

56 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

The QG restaurant looks good in that most tables are by the windows or very close. Downgraded to PG for QA though - trying to be slightly sensible with costs this time. (QA PG seems a touch cheaper than QM2 PG, but there again the cabins aren't as good...no quite so bothered about a cabin size on a fjord trip in midsummer)

I think the lounge has a large skylight though:

image.png.f8a46927c3b5f20a2aa591cb596f0a24.png

Interesting. I thought deck 11 hot tub when I saw the plans but a skylight might shed light on the lounge.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Interesting. I thought deck 11 hot tub when I saw the plans but a skylight might shed light on the lounge.

It's a bit big for a hot tub, and wouldn't it be blue.

My money is on a feature skylight...it just about lines up exactly with the ring in the deck below

3 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

It's a bit big for a hot tub, and wouldn't it be blue.

My money is on a feature skylight...it just about lines up exactly with the ring in the deck below

You're right, it would. As I'm guessing a fire pit wouldn't pass SOLAS  standards, it is most probably a light dome of some sort.

• Like 1