Covid x 2.

baw53

Both tested positive again this morning.Really surprised as we are both feeling so good, we are eating and sleeping well, no signs of covid at all. I had  showered , dressed , hair and make up done and ready to leave the cabin, even had my phone and room card in my pocket when the phone rang !  ..looks like this was definitely the ‘ cruise that never was ‘ .

5 minutes ago, baw53 said:

Both tested positive again this morning.Really surprised as we are both feeling so good, we are eating and sleeping well, no signs of covid at all. I had  showered , dressed , hair and make up done and ready to leave the cabin, even had my phone and room card in my pocket when the phone rang !  ..looks like this was definitely the ‘ cruise that never was ‘ .

Miserable for you. So sorry.

• Like 1

Was told by the nurse there are  2 other passengers with covid and 9 or 10 crew.There was a passenger taken to hospital whilst we were in Lisbon ( around 5.30pm) .The ambulance was just below our cabin ( we are deck 5 , mid aft) .I asked  the nurse if it was covid related and she said it wasn’t , it was other health issues.

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

So sorry you were positive again, I hope you had better news today. 

Well whatever the news is today it will be a bit pointless getting it.We were hoping that we would get tested first thing in the hope of a ‘ negative’ which would have given us a day to get out of this cabin and stretch our legs and eat at a table .Looks as though we were forgotten .Our covid steward delivered luggage labels and disembarkation instructions which obviously would not be an option for us if we are positive .I phoned the Pursers .Office and was told to disregard the labels and info if we test ‘ positive ‘as  we would be the last off the ship with different labels being issued She took our car parking details and said she would chase up the re test…..phoned me back , it’s ‘around’  3pm this afternoon results after 4pm then , it took an hour last time ….about  as useful as a chocolate fireguard if we are negative…..after 9 days it  would be 1 evening to look forward to.( it could have been a full day with a bit more effort on their part) I was told there are 3 cabins in quarantine as of this morning, not as if they are snowed under ! I did something I have never done , removed auto gratuities but have given very generous tips to the room steward who looked after us for the first 3 days and has waved  when he saw us at our door and contacted our covid steward for us , also a generous tip for the ‘ covid steward ‘ for the other 9…these 2 young men have been the only personnel to ask how we are each day .Not one  phone call from any other staff member to enquire as to our health or well being.

I also tipped room service well for their dozens of deliveries….these crew members have been excellent( even though the food wasn’t always that great, really looking forward to some HOT food when we get home ) Some advice for you all …..take out the best travel insurance cover possible( we did , thank goodness )  .Travel with plenty of ’  over the counter ‘ medication for colds and flu etc…Anti bacterial  wipes , masks and your own hand sanitizer…non were offered  ( I packed plenty….good job I did ) Load up your iPads with iBooks and Kindle books too.Can’t wait to get home , this will be our last cruise we won’t risk this happening ever again .

• Like 1

I can totally understand your frustration and disappointment with all aspects of this holiday and there's not a lot one can say really  baw53 other than to hope you have a safe journey home and have no long lasting effects from the virus or the disappointment of this cruise.

• Like 3

It's so sad that Baw53 has been put off cruising ever again , but understandable. 

The draconian treatment of covid cases on ships compared to land, will make people think twice or even three times, before being honest and turning up for a test.  A less honest person would have had a day or two in cabin, then got on with enjoying holiday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's so sad that Baw53 has been put off cruising ever again , but understandable. 

The draconian treatment of covid cases on ships compared to land, will make people think twice or even three times, before being honest and turning up for a test.  A less honest person would have had a day or two in cabin, then got on with enjoying holiday.

Exactly. I am sure that the vast majority of people who have symptoms that may or may not be Covid will just carry on with their cruise (if they feel well enough to), hopefully being sensible (e.g. not sharing tables or sitting very close to others in crowded places), but certainly won’t say anything to the crew. By doing so you are effectively volunteering yourself for cabin quarantine and a ruined holiday. 

I am so angry this morning.I have  been waiting for the vital letter to be able to claim from our insurance company .We were promised it at 3pm yesterday afternoon after our last test.I phoned at 6pm .I was told they would chase it up and call me back .They didn’t.I phoned at 8pm .again I was told …we will chase it up and call you back… told the  letter is with housekeeping you will have it shortly .It never came.I phoned at 10pm ….you will have it in the morning ……2 letters were delivered at 5.30am .Mine states I was placed in isolation on the 15th Dec  and my husband , who has never left my side and was tested at the same time, states he was placed in isolation on the 16th……Totally inaccurate …..were both placed in isolation when we got the results of our test on Wednesday 14th and have not set foot outside of this cabin since then.I phoned again ….wait for it …..’ can you come down to the office?’  ….I am in isolation…..oops , sorry of course you are…..it won’t be a problem to change the dates to correct ones….but….there isn’t in anyone in the Managers Office until 7.30 , can you call back then? ‘ ….we are due to leave the ship at 9.30am ….I am spitting feathers.It really isn’t good enough.We really could do without this stress and aggravation.I am almost 78 and my hubby is 75.I think we deserve better.Be warned …think twice before you cruise .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baw53 said:

Be warned …think twice before you cruise .

Or…….go and have a lovely cruise, but think twice before you report yourself to the crew because you have cold like symptoms. As far as I know, there are only two environments left in the world where this quarantine nonsense is still happening. China (although they appear to be softening their stance due to public unrest) and cruise ships. I guess North Korea may be a third, but we’d never know.

Covid will probably be with us forever, just like flu, Norovirus and the common cold and, mercifully, for the overwhelming majority of vaccinated people, is now no worse than other viruses. Those with highly compromised immune systems, for whom Covid could still pose a major risk, would be foolish to go on a cruise ship, as your chances of catching it are higher than on land. 

• Like 4

At last…35 minutes before we disembark .The letters are very basic .They are just a statement of fact on Cunard headed notepaper…., the cruise number , the date we embarked , the dates of our isolation … not in an envelope and not even signed.! 

2 minutes ago, baw53 said:

At last…35 minutes before we disembark .The letters are very basic .They are just a statement of fact on Cunard headed notepaper…., the cruise number , the date we embarked , the dates of our isolation … not in an envelope and not even signed.! 

My error…I was so relieved to get these ‘ pieces of paper’ …..they aren’t quite right but will have to do as I am losing the will to live …..mine has my full name at the top ,and refers to the ‘ above mentioned guest’ my husbands has ‘ Mr and 

Mrs W ‘  the top and states the ‘above mentioned guest’ …..I give up.I have a long 5 hour drive in pouring rain to negotiate.I need to try and calm down.

• Like 2

We had 2 letters, one from the medical department and one from the Purser's office. I'm not sure which one was enough for the claim but our insurance paid out for my husband's confinement. 

Have a safe journey home and thanks again for your updates. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, baw53 said:

My error…I was so relieved to get these ‘ pieces of paper’ …..they aren’t quite right but will have to do as I am losing the will to live …..mine has my full name at the top ,and refers to the ‘ above mentioned guest’ my husbands has ‘ Mr and 

Mrs W ‘  the top and states the ‘above mentioned guest’ …..I give up.I have a long 5 hour drive in pouring rain to negotiate.I need to try and calm down.

Apparently, the roads will be manic so take care and drive safely.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Or…….go and have a lovely cruise, but think twice before you report yourself to the crew because you have cold like symptoms. As far as I know, there are only two environments left in the world where this quarantine nonsense is still happening. China (although they appear to be softening their stance due to public unrest) and cruise ships. I guess North Korea may be a third, but we’d never know.

Covid will probably be with us forever, just like flu, Norovirus and the common cold and, mercifully, for the overwhelming majority of vaccinated people, is now no worse than other viruses. Those with highly compromised immune systems, for whom Covid could still pose a major risk, would be foolish to go on a cruise ship, as your chances of catching it are higher than on land. 

The possibly foolish but totally fed up people with highly compromised immune systems [ real Covid phrase if ever there was one] can curl up, sink into lethargy and rarely venture out or, they can take as many personal precautions as they can [assuming they're vaxxed to the hilt]  and enjoy life as much as they can without putting any onus, or blame on anyone else if they catch any lurgy doing the rounds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baw53 said:

Glad you have sorted out your problem, of a sort, and hope they will be sufficient for you to be able to claim successfully from your insurance company. Wish you a safe journey home and that you both have a good Christmas. With regards to service received from Cunard nobody can say that you have had good service and certainly not White Star service that they constantly preach. Can understand you not wanting to cruise again, especially with Cunard, I don't really know what is happening but Cunard currently are falling way below the standards they should be giving. My own theory is that they are that short staffed in all departments that those working onboard are not adequately trained or not up to standard and wouldn't be on the ship at all in normal times.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Glad you have sorted out your problem, of a sort, and hope they will be sufficient for you to be able to claim successfully from your insurance company. Wish you a safe journey home and that you both have a good Christmas. With regards to service received from Cunard nobody can say that you have had good service and certainly not White Star service that they constantly preach. Can understand you not wanting to cruise again, especially with Cunard, I don't really know what is happening but Cunard currently are falling way below the standards they should be giving. My own theory is that they are that short staffed in all departments that those working onboard are not adequately trained or not up to standard and wouldn't be on the ship at all in normal times.

My theory is, I haven't got one.

The glitches make the headlines and fodder for ''things ain't what they used to be'' and those of us who are satisfied get lost in the mire so I'm speaking out.

There is no mistaking baw53  has had  a rough time but to extrapolate that to a general not up to scratch is unfair to those who are working their socks off.

I will repeat, our experience is the service is there. Possibly a little slower onboard than normal but it's there, landside too.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

My theory is, I haven't got one.

The glitches make the headlines and fodder for ''things ain't what they used to be'' and those of us who are satisfied get lost in the mire so I'm speaking out.

There is no mistaking baw53  has had  a rough time but to extrapolate that to a general not up to scratch is unfair to those who are working their socks off.

I will repeat, our experience is the service is there. Possibly a little slower onboard than normal but it's there, landside too.

It is not just a one-off that affected baw53 and nobody can justify the very poor customer service they have received on the ship which at an awful time was made worse in some ways by Cunard. We also noted that our cruise in November was not as good as last November where the food was not as good and service throughout the ship below Cunard's normal high standards. There are also many complaints on other cruise forums and also Faceache of recent cruises on Cunard so possibly more widespread that you want to believe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It is not just a one-off that affected baw53 and nobody can justify the very poor customer service they have received on the ship which at an awful time was made worse in some ways by Cunard. We also noted that our cruise in November was not as good as last November where the food was not as good and service throughout the ship below Cunard's normal high standards. There are also many complaints on other cruise forums and also Faceache of recent cruises on Cunard so possibly more widespread that you want to believe.

I am not disputing there are problems and def not as far as baw53 is concerned but the brickbats merit the column space, the the bouquets don't.

You give a blanket thumbs down to service.

I take into consideration the whole industry is getting back to ''normality'' and I understand time is needed to get back to pre Covid levels so give a certain amount of leeway when ''things'' might not be quite as efficient as pre Covid times. For me, and many others, that's good enough to warrant a thumbs up. 

Our cruise in August was certainly different, partly of our own making but ignoring the internet and  TV signals, the service, the food, the ambiance was great and I will trumpet that in the face of those who seek to deliver the ''standards are falling''  set phrase.

As far as I can see @baw53 spent most of this thread telling us how wonderful the service was while she was confined to her cabin. It was only in the last 48 hours, when apparently she wasn’t tested when she hoped she would be, and didn’t get the required letter when she wanted it, that things didn’t quite go to plan. 

But both issues were sorted in time so, while not perfect, it seems to me that overall Cunard did pretty well in circumstances that clearly no-one would wish for.

Like @baw53I had Covid onboard, when we were on QM2 in the summer. I am eternally grateful that it was only for a few days, which was quite tiresome enough. Like her, I felt the service I received, both then and when I was well previously, was excellent, and I was treated with great kindness. That said, I can see nothing can make up for being confined for the vast majority of a holiday, and this makes stupid administrative cockups all the more infuriating. However, I have really not seen an overall deterioration in what Cunard provides. I can for instance remember frequent complaints about the service at the Purser’s desk at the time of my first voyage in 1997.

I have noticed that negative reviews often turn on one of two issues, such as rust, a less than efficient staff member, or, in one case, whether pineapple should be hot or cold, and reviewers allow those faults to ruin their view of the whole voyage, even though they actually comment on other aspects that were wonderful. It seems to me to allow the fact that your QG cabin bottles didn’t arrive until the second day, for instance, to create a negative overall impression of the whole voyage is grossly unbalanced. But this is what many people do, and Cunard should be aware of the dangers of a negative first impression.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

As far as I can see @baw53 spent most of this thread telling us how wonderful the service was while she was confined to her cabin. It was only in the last 48 hours, when apparently she wasn’t tested when she hoped she would be, and didn’t get the required letter when she wanted it, that things didn’t quite go to plan. 

But both issues were sorted in time so, while not perfect, it seems to me that overall Cunard did pretty well in circumstances that clearly no-one would wish for.

Certainly issues were not sorted out completely as she did say that the letters were still not correct and that she "had given up the will to live". She does not know whether documentation provided will cause problems when claiming off insurance. We all hope it is good enough if it doesn't or even if it does the stress caused is down to Cunard and their incompetence in the last 48 hrs which is not good enough. The staff should by now be well trained on how to deal with COVID and provide right documentation for their insurance claim which they are clearly not. Sorry to upset people especially those that won't have a wrong word said against Cunard but gives the impression they don't care and just want you off the ship and not bothered about your insurance claim.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1