Free Room Upgrade

elklemi

It’ means an upgrade from one category within a room type.  For example, if you book an ocean view room, you might get a midship room rather than forward or aft.  It doesn’t mean an upgrade from OV to balcony, or inside to OV.  It doesn’t mean much but it sounds good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, elklemi said:

Looking forward to 2024 and cruise offer says "free room upgrade". Does anyone know exactly how this works or is it just a come on?

When I was new many years ago and saw sales with free upgrades I was so excited. Then I find out it's to a identical cabin maybe  deck or 2 higher. A nothing. Lol. Cant upgrade out of the type, for instance ov to balcony. 

4 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

It’ means an upgrade from one category within a room type.  For example, if you book an ocean view room, you might get a midship room rather than forward or aft.  It doesn’t mean an upgrade from OV to balcony, or inside to OV.  It doesn’t mean much but it sounds good.

Exactly this^

Those free upgrades have bitten me in the butt a few times when I attempted an Early Saver price reduction.  They calculate the price difference based on the cabin category you are assigned. So an upgraded cabin means less price reduction, if any at all. In the end, I ended up paying a little extra for that free upgrade.