Have it All - Shorex Warning

CNSJ

On Rotterdam today , with HIA Package.  Using part of the Shorex Credit for an upcoming stop in Amber Cove to snorkel.  That excursion was just cancelled due to forecast weather tomorrow.  Options were to book another excursion or simply loose the credit as its non-refundable.  So..... I asked, what it this had been the last port and there were no other opportunities.  The answer was the credit is non-refundable, not even against your onboard expenses.  Even if port visit is cancelled, no compensation.  

I am sure it's in the fine print.... just passing this on to fellow cruisers.

Second time on new Rotterdam.  Nice ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Same thing happened to me.  My shorex was canceled both weeks.  I couldn’t find a suitable replacement.  It’s annoying as you really do pay for it.

Yes....We do pay for it, its not complimentary!

Will be 4 star after this trip.  No more HIA.  Discounts on fancy coffee (for DW) specialty dining, and wine packages make it totally not worth it.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

Yes....We do pay for it, its not complimentary!

Will be 4 star after this trip.  No more HIA.  Discounts on fancy coffee (for DW) specialty dining, and wine packages make it totally not worth it.....

Well, you do pay more for HIA than base-rate "Best Price", but when Crew Appreciation was temporarily part of HIA, just those grats, 2x SBP, and one WiFi plan, came to more than the difference between base-rate and "Best Value". So the specialty dinner and shore-ex were 'gravy'. 

However your second paragraph does make me realize that I will have to do the math all the more when we also get 4*s, after this B2B!

• Like 2

You may never know how HAL calculates the value of the $100 shorex credit; and it doesn't matter; if it's bundled into a package you buy, you absolutely are paying some real dollar amount for it.  Good tip by OP for others to pay attention to in case of a missed port. I think it would be more fair of them to simply call it $100 OBC so it can be used for shorex, more dining experiences, come off your bill, etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Well, you do pay more for HIA than base-rate "Best Price", but when Crew Appreciation was temporarily part of HIA, just those grats, 2x SBP, and one WiFi plan, came to more than the difference between base-rate and "Best Value". So the specialty dinner and shore-ex were 'gravy'. 

However your second paragraph does make me realize that I will have to do the math all the more when we also get 4*s, after this B2B!

Have been 4* on last 3 cruises. After doing the math I chose HIA for two and wine packages and other perks on one. The "have it all" varies from one from to another. Rather than assume it is the best deal makes sure you evaluate what you are getting. Since I am primarily a red wine drinker a discounted wine package may make more sense at times.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, CNSJ said:

The answer was the credit is non-refundable, not even against your onboard expenses.  Even if port visit is cancelled, no compensation.  

Exactly, that's why I've never purchased HIA. First, the HIA premium is always inflated far beyond my humble needs. Second, most excursions sell out pretty quick. The left-overs are understandably undesirable.

In any case, I'm averse to any scheme that encourages pax to eat and drink at an unhealthy pace.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Exactly, that's why I've never purchased HIA. First, the HIA premium is always inflated far beyond my humble needs. Second, most excursions sell out pretty quick. The left-overs are understandably undesirable.

In any case, I'm averse to any scheme that encourages pax to eat and drink at an unhealthy pace.

How does it encourage passengers to eat and drink at an unhealthy pace? You get one free meal at a specialty restaurant.  It doesn’t allow you to multiple meals.   If you drink a lot having the drink package won’t change that.  The most alcoholic drinks I had in a day was maybe 4, usually less. I never felt the need to stock up to get my moneys worth.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

How does it encourage passengers to eat and drink at an unhealthy pace? You get one free meal at a specialty restaurant.  It doesn’t allow you to multiple meals.   If you drink a lot having the drink package won’t change that.  The most alcoholic drinks I had in a day was maybe 4, usually less. I never felt the need to stock up to get my moneys worth.

Speaking as a person who would rather not drink alcohol, and has no more than one specialty coffee a day. I would think that the packages encourages people to drink more than their usual quota. And, I suspect that some wash the drinks down with salty snacks?

Ditto for the sugar in 'soft' drinks. Its a problem with addiction. Then, there's the problem of convenience. How many bars would we walk past on the ship?

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Speaking as a person who would rather not drink alcohol, and has no more than one specialty coffee a day. I would think that the packages encourages people to drink more than their usual quota. And, I suspect that some wash the drinks down with salty snacks?

Speaking as someone who does drink, I do not think that the drink package encourages to drink more than I would normally imbibe.  Since you do not drink, I am not sure from where you get your assumptions.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Ditto for the sugar in 'soft' drinks. Its a problem with addiction. Then, there's the problem of convenience. How many bars would we walk past on the ship?

I truly think I’ve heard everything now.  While hia is barely worth it for me I do like the option of having a Perrier or water.  I can’t stand pop of any sort.  Not once have I ever downed salty stacks with my drink and I bet most people don’t either.  I would think that people that are getting up there in age can’t mindlessly pour food and drink down their throats.

• Like 1

The perks are use-it-or-lose-it.  All of them.

I don't come close to drinking 15 drinks a day.  I don't particularly like ship excursions.  I do enjoy the specialty dining.  When I can add HIA at $50/day, it's "worth" it for me.

Once I hit 4* and start getting some real discounts, that may change.

Hey, I'm an accountant.  I do a "cost benefit analysis" for every single thing I do in life.  Can't help myself! 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I can easily drink 2 hot drinks, 8 waters per day.     That puts me at 10 drinks right there.   Must be addicted to water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

5 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Speaking as someone who does drink, I do not think that the drink package encourages to drink more than I would normally imbibe.  Since you do not drink, I am not sure from where you get your assumptions.

Tampa Girl, I will add to your last sentence.

...or why it is any of your (HappyinVan) business.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

If I have to pay for alcohol, I will not drink it. If it's free or almost free (HIA) I will drink excessively until I pass out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, bdd123 said:

I can easily drink 2 hot drinks, 8 waters per day.     That puts me at 10 drinks right there.   Must be addicted to water.

Fortunately, it is difficult to get addicted to plain water.

That said, let's not forget that these packages are crafted by marketing experts with their psychological tricks. They keep offering these packages because they work.

Wow, I'm sorry that I made a general remark about the downside of HIA. Didn't expect such a strong response!!! 😔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

That said, let's not forget that these packages are crafted by marketing experts with their psychological tricks. They keep offering these packages because they work.

Wow, I'm sorry that I made a general remark about the downside of HIA. Didn't expect such a strong response!!! 😔

How could you not. You are classifying people as being mindless with no self control.  Yup thats a compliment 

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

It wasn't a strong response at all.   Just compare it to your own comment.

Packages are made to make money.

Holland America has marketing idiots compared to other markets.  They deal with a captive audience after cruise is paid.   Mindless marketing is more like it.

It is possible to get psychologically addicted to anything.   

Edited by bdd123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

How could you not. You are classifying people as being mindless with no self control.  Yup thats a compliment 

Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. It is a fact that if you make it easier for people to obtain something, their usage increases. I travel with 3 non (minimum) drinkers whom, when have HIA, will endulge in drinks they normally would not (both alcohol and non).. It has nothing to do with being mindless with no self control. It is more about what marketing understands. "If you build it they will come". 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, REOVA said:

Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. It is a fact that if you make it easier for people to obtain something, their usage increases. I travel with 3 non (minimum) drinkers whom, when have HIA, will endulge in drinks they normally would not (both alcohol and non).. It has nothing to do with being mindless with no self control. It is more about what marketing understands. "If you build it they will come". 

Did you read the thread?  The person said that people are encouraged to overeat and drink.  Do your non drinkers pour drinks down that throat and eat every salty snack in sight?  Hint, if they are non drinkers they don’t drink 😛.  Getting something for free doesn’t usually change that unless they have prior drinking issues.  Others had issue with the posters comments so why not quote everyone that said that instead of just me like I’m the only one that took issue?

I think HappyInVan has a valid point.  My husband and I are one-cocktail-before dinner drinkers at home, but find ourselves having one or two extra when we have the HIA package.  My son and his wife rarely drink at home, but on a cruise they have multiple daiquiris throughout the day.  Friends that we travel with that normally have one glass of wine in the course of a day will find themselves ordering one or two extra on a cruise.  None of us are “mindless” or “have prior drinking problems”.  We’re on vacation!   I’m surprised at the outrage directed at HappyInVan for pointing out something I believe to be absolutely true for many people looking to get the most for their money.  There’re a lot of judgmental comments going on here…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, SueMo said:

I think HappyInVan has a valid point.  My husband and I are one-cocktail-before dinner drinkers at home, but find ourselves having one or two extra when we have the HIA package.  My son and his wife rarely drink at home, but on a cruise they have multiple daiquiris throughout the day.  Friends that we travel with that normally have one glass of wine in the course of a day will find themselves ordering one or two extra on a cruise.  None of us are “mindless” or “have prior drinking problems”.  We’re on vacation!   I’m surprised at the outrage directed at HappyInVan for pointing out something I believe to be absolutely true for many people looking to get the most for their money.  There’re a lot of judgmental comments going on here…

You are right.  There are judgemental people on here.  

@SueMo thank you, I've been struggling with trying to say what you said so well and so clearly 👍

We have met several people who were very concerned about getting the "most for their money".  Pre-Covid, one couple spent the entire welcome-aboard lunch talking about how they'd gotten a free promo on the beverage package and how they would work it to their advantage.  They had 3 drinks each over the course of about an hour.  They were unsteady on their feet when they left the dining room, with their firmed-up plan for getting the most for their money 🙂 

Saw them the next day, and it was OBVIOUS they were getting the most for their money.  I have no idea if they drank like that at home, but that free beverage package was obviously a high point for their vacation.

• Haha 1