The Sea liveish, 12/17-12/27. Merry Christmas.

Jim Avery

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Still in San Juan watching Viking Sea across the street.  When we woke on disembarkation day yesterday we were greeted with a text from Southwest.  Yep, just like thousands we are stranded.

Regrets on your situation and the extra cost to 'escape', Jim - but big kudos for the calmness you are showing. These boards are too often filled with folks ranting about stuff that happens. It gets old ...

Safe travels home and a Happy New Year! 🍺🥌

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

So these idiots expect people to wait in San Juan and pay for their own hotels and meals—for a full week?

or just sleep in the airport 

The problem is that Southworst, unlike many airlines, won’t rebook you on another airline 

so glad you were able to get out

I'm not defending this current situation at Southwest, but I am fortunate to live where this airline truly excels, the Southwest.  I routinely fly Burbank to Sacramento up and back the same day for less than $150.  For an additional $20 I am able to change the return flight if space available for no fee that same day,   My longest journey with them is Burbank to Denver.

I never fly Southwest for longer flights, but like I said, I use them where they provide excellent service.

I don't think JetBlue will rebook you on another airline either.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

I'm not defending this current situation at Southwest, but I am fortunate to live where this airline truly excels, the Southwest.  I routinely fly Burbank to Sacramento up and back the same day for less than $150.  For an additional $20 I am able to change the return flight if space available for no fee that same day,   My longest journey with them is Burbank to Denver.

I never fly Southwest for longer flights, but like I said, I use them where they provide excellent service.

I don't think JetBlue will rebook you on another airline either.  

Yes, I’m sure they are very good most of the time. But this is a truly historic screwup. And it’s because of their business model, not the weather. Telling people to wait a week for a flight is almost criminal. 

• Like 1

We would never have flown SW from PHX to SJU. We’re on an extended cross country road trip with a cruise tossed in. Flew SW from MCO as we were visiting relatives in the area. The only direct flight available. 2.5 hours going when anything with first class went through ATL or MIA and took around 7.5 hours. 

• Like 1

Omg, Jim, what a mess!  Fortunately, you’re not just sitting in an airport waiting for Southwest to “take care of you”. . . . glad you were able to get accommodations and flights and ground transportation that will eventually get you where you need to be.  Good luck getting restitution from Southwest; I have a feeling their first offer will be a credit for future flights, but I suspect you know how to counter such an offer.  

Really enjoyed meeting you and Lois and chatting with you.  Hope our paths cross on a future cruise.  But don’t look for me on Southwest Airlines — I am finished with low-cost carriers!

Allyn

• Like 1

Same here Allyn.  We enjoyed our time together with you and Jim and hope to see yall again as well.  We charged all the stuff on a credit card with travel insurance so between that and whatever SW is forced to do we might get some back.  Been stuck in worse places.  🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Same here Allyn.  We enjoyed our time together with you and Jim and hope to see yall again as well.  We charged all the stuff on a credit card with travel insurance so between that and whatever SW is forced to do we might get some back.  Been stuck in worse places.  🍸

Jim - great attitude.

Had we not cancelled the Barcelona to Port Everglades T/Atlantic, we would have been stuck in Montreal on Dec 23rd, as the flight from FLL arrived, but all YVR flights were cancelled. With the thousands of cancelled flight and very high load factors, we could have been stuck for many days. The weather certainly wasn't the fault of the airlines and we could have booked a more southerly connection, but opted for proper business class in a wide-body over convenience and faster flights.

Since we considered the weather potential at Montreal, we had insurance to mitigate the financial risk, so only cost was time.

Hoping the rest of the trip home is uneventful.

• Like 1