The Sea liveish, 12/17-12/27. Merry Christmas.

Jim Avery

Finally after all these months off we have all had.  I will post a bit from time to time to get everyone excited about your upcoming cruises.  We flew to San Juan out of Orlando after a cross country road trip.  That's another very loooong story.  Flight in went as good as flights get these days.  The dash and steering wheel of the cab was literally held together by duct tape.  No kidding.  Welcome to Puerto Rico.  Scary but we arrived safely at the Sheraton Old San Juan.  Not the freshest of hotels but very conveniently located.  More later and I encourage any and all to participate here.  Oh, one very interesting item.  After all the arguing, angst, and opinions, not once, let me repeat, not once have we shown our Vax card to anyone.  Nor have we had to mask up anywhere.  Dare we hope "back to normal?"  Crew still mostly masked but don't seem to like it and maybe 5% of the passengers masked.  

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Finally after all these months off we have all had.  I will post a bit from time to time to get everyone excited about your upcoming cruises.  We flew to San Juan out of Orlando after a cross country road trip.  That's another very loooong story.  Flight in went as good as flights get these days.  The dash and steering wheel of the cab was literally held together by duct tape.  No kidding.  Welcome to Puerto Rico.  Scary but we arrived safely at the Sheraton Old San Juan.  Not the freshest of hotels but very conveniently located.  More later and I encourage any and all to participate here.  Oh, one very interesting item.  After all the arguing, angst, and opinions, not once, let me repeat, not once have we shown our Vax card to anyone.  Nor have we had to mask up anywhere.  Dare we hope "back to normal?"  Crew still mostly masked but don't seem to like it and maybe 5% of the passengers masked.  

No one asked to see our vax cards when we boarded our Viking Sky cruise in Athens on Nov 26 either.  On the other hand, we’ve already gotten a special email telling us to upload our vax info into VeriFLY (and bring our originals with us) for our Antarctic cruise next month. 

Enjoy your Christmas cruise!!

• Like 3

So  happy for you Jim to be back on a Viking Cruise, And a Holiday cruise no less!  

My first cruise on Viking was on the Viking Sea , a TA from PR to Barcelona.

Love old town, and the ship is right downtown. Look forward to your  posts !

• Like 2

I’m on the same cruise — first time Viking Ocean (did a Viking river cruise in June).  Loving this ship.  Need to find a bartender who can make a French 75 cocktail. . . the one in the Explorer’s Lounge last night said they didn’t have the ingredients!  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Older Sister said:

I’m on the same cruise — first time Viking Ocean (did a Viking river cruise in June).  Loving this ship.  Need to find a bartender who can make a French 75 cocktail. . . the one in the Explorer’s Lounge last night said they didn’t have the ingredients!  

May not have wanted to open a bottle of champagne just for the splash needed as a mixer. 

Cooling down after a beautiful day on JvD.  We arrived a day early and booked a Jr. Suite at the Sheraton Old San Juan.  Have stayed here a number of times for the convenience right across the street but this hotel seriously needs a refresh.   On boarding day it was pouring rain.  So much for right across the street. We took a cab across the street.  Trust me, it was worth it.  Now a problem.  We had been emailed months ago that our cabin check in was 11:00 with rooms available at 1:00. We arrived in the rain and the cab left.  About 20 others showed up at about the same time.  The Puerto Rico dock workers told us no admission until 2;00.  *****??  Meanwhile we are all standing in the rain!  No Viking personnel at all, just dock workers.  I called the hotline and eventually explained that our problem was not with a flight but with being shut out of the terminal.  Don't mind if Viking is not ready for us to board but why can't we get inside out of the rain?  Finally an officer showed up and overrode the dock workers.  We were allowed in but checkin was delayed a bit.  Finally in Viking's hands and things go better.  Booked a PV for the first time, usually get a DV.  Surprised to find out DV has a larger bathroom.  A bit more space and a useable couch but we missed the DV bath and midships location..  Small problems.  Hey, we walked up and got in the Chef's Table right away.  Love the Peking Duck.  Food is great as usual and will have more later

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - when you get to St Kitts, check out our son's little yacht, the almost 400' Ahpo. They anchored at the south end of St Kitts this morning, after departing St Martin, where they were docked next to Viking Neptune.

Interesting connection ... you'll know that Ahpo is owned by Michael Lee-Chin, who also was the primary contributor to the new patient tower in our local hospital. Great yacht but a bit out of my snack bracket for charter. Perhaps you get a discount? 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Interesting connection ... you'll know that Ahpo is owned by Michael Lee-Chin, who also was the primary contributor to the new patient tower in our local hospital. Great yacht but a bit out of my snack bracket for charter. Perhaps you get a discount? 🍺🥌

Affirmative Rob, we're just not supposed to mention who owns it. Chartering is a cool 4 mil per week, with food/fuel extra. Sadly, we wouldn't get a discount😁

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Cooling down after a beautiful day on JvD.  We arrived a day early and booked a Jr. Suite at the Sheraton Old San Juan.  Have stayed here a number of times for the convenience right across the street but this hotel seriously needs a refresh.   On boarding day it was pouring rain.  So much for right across the street. We took a cab across the street.  Trust me, it was worth it.  Now a problem.  We had been emailed months ago that our cabin check in was 11:00 with rooms available at 1:00. We arrived in the rain and the cab left.  About 20 others showed up at about the same time.  The Puerto Rico dock workers told us no admission until 2;00.  *****??  Meanwhile we are all standing in the rain!  No Viking personnel at all, just dock workers.  I called the hotline and eventually explained that our problem was not with a flight but with being shut out of the terminal.  Don't mind if Viking is not ready for us to board but why can't we get inside out of the rain?  Finally an officer showed up and overrode the dock workers.  We were allowed in but checkin was delayed a bit.  Finally in Viking's hands and things go better.  Booked a PV for the first time, usually get a DV.  Surprised to find out DV has a larger bathroom.  A bit more space and a useable couch but we missed the DV bath and midships location..  Small problems.  Hey, we walked up and got in the Chef's Table right away.  Love the Peking Duck.  Food is great as usual and will have more later

Oh good, now not envious since you have a small bath!😂

I don’t recall the bath in our PV ($199pp upgradeoffer)being any smaller…where is the space missing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative Rob, we're just not supposed to mention who owns it. Chartering is a cool 4 mil per week, with food/fuel extra. Sadly, we wouldn't get a discount😁

Sorry if it was an indiscretion - the vessel ownership is public information on the web (as was the charter fee - which itself is quite unusual for that sort of charter). Ah well, at least you get to live vicariously, and hopefully have or will get a tour at some point. Cheers! 🍺🥌

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Oh good, now not envious since you have a small bath!😂

I don’t recall the bath in our PV ($199pp upgradeoffer)being any smaller…where is the space missing?

Seems to be about a foot less floorspace between the shower and the potty.  Shower seems a tad smaller.  It is one of the PVs all the way aft with a window and little door.  But maybe I am just bigger?  Go ask Alice when she's ten feet tall.....🥃

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Sorry if it was an indiscretion - the vessel ownership is public information on the web (as was the charter fee - which itself is quite unusual for that sort of charter). Ah well, at least you get to live vicariously, and hopefully have or will get a tour at some point. Cheers! 🍺🥌

Sorry, dropping the owner's name won't get you aboard.  Different yacht but  Ive tried...😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, you can't make this stuff up.  Have been posting on the roll call for this cruise for a few months.  Got to know a few through CC but Older Sister and us shared a love for Jost van Dyke.  Wanted to run into them on JVD.  Never did figure out who was who on the beautiful excursion to JvD.  Fast forward to last night  With a full passenger load we were seated in the dining room right next to a lovely couple.  Sometime during the meal i overheard Jim (Older Sister's Hubby) mention Cruise Critic.  Darn if we weren't sitting next to Older Sister and spouse.  We had a great time chatting and are looking forward to continuing tales at one of the bars....🍹

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Ok, you can't make this stuff up.  Have been posting on the roll call for this cruise for a few months.  Got to know a few through CC but Older Sister and us shared a love for Jost van Dyke.  Wanted to run into them on JVD.  Never did figure out who was who on the beautiful excursion to JvD.  Fast forward to last night  With a full passenger load we were seated in the dining room right next to a lovely couple.  Sometime during the meal i overheard Jim (Older Sister's Hubby) mention Cruise Critic.  Darn if we weren't sitting next to Older Sister and spouse.  We had a great time chatting and are looking forward to continuing tales at one of the bars....🍹

At least this didn’t happen at breakfast on Disembarkation Day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I assume there is no daily covid testing on your cruise?

Nope.  Nothing.  very few pax masked, crew masked but really not enjoying it.  Supposedly next month they don't have to wear them.  Some ships now crew maskless or so I am told.

• Like 2