Barcelona Hotels

joehick

• 2 weeks later...

Just stayed at Hotel Gaudi - such a cute place with a great location! Since we had to be at the airport at 4am, they even packed a breakfast for us!

Charlene

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I'm looking at booking online a H10 hotel (Maddison) and noticed that it asks for your passport number to do so.

I've never had this before, yes giving it at checkin at the hotel but not online when booking and giving your card details.

Is it just me being a bit wary?

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

Hello all, I'm looking at booking online a H10 hotel (Maddison) and noticed that it asks for your passport number to do so.

I've never had this before, yes giving it at checkin at the hotel but not online when booking and giving your card details.

That's normal to ask for passport info. It's fine and secure. 

On 6/16/2024 at 1:43 PM, marazul said:

That's normal to ask for passport info. It's fine and secure. 

Thank you for that, good to hear. I've booked hotels all over before and not had this request so wanted a bit of reassurance 🙂.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:22 PM, Tin can said:

It is a legal requirement to tell police all data about guest every night. Nowadays it is enough with computering systems but a long time ago they had to fill a book with all guests plus one card for every guest older 18 and send to police every 15 days.

Surely they will ask your passport before checking again

36 minutes ago, marazul said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately, the base price has also gone up since we booked a few months ago.  Anyone wanting to book, don't wait.  And keep checking for future sales and price drops. 

I agree. I booked Montcada 3/1, refundable rate, thinking it may go down or I may find something better… I was wrong. Wow! Over $200 difference now. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 6:24 AM, alserrod said:

It is a legal requirement to tell police all data about guest every night. Nowadays it is enough with computering systems but a long time ago they had to fill a book with all guests plus one card for every guest older 18 and send to police every 15 days.

Surely they will ask your passport before checking again

Yes, I have always been asked for my passport details when checking in to nearly every hotel we have stayed in around the world. I have never been asked for passport details to make a booking (refundable booking) and it is a lot of information to give online - address, credit card and passport number.

I have made a mock booking with a couple of other hotel chains for our stay in Barcelona and it is only H10 that requires your passport details when booking. It has put me off choosing them to be honest.

52 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Yes, I have always been asked for my passport details when checking in to nearly every hotel we have stayed in around the world. I have never been asked for passport details to make a booking (refundable booking) and it is a lot of information to give online - address, credit card and passport number.

I have made a mock booking with a couple of other hotel chains for our stay in Barcelona and it is only H10 that requires your passport details when booking. It has put me off choosing them to be honest.

Hotels must ask you for certain information to make a file that they give to the police. I remember, many years ago, that this form was filled out by hand (and a record book with all the clients that the police stamped every 15 days). Now, by having computer resources you can be more agile.
When making a reservation, they ask you for all the information and this speeds up the process when checking in. Years ago people used to leave their passport at reception and pick it up later because it was very slow to write down data.

Among the information they will ask you for, one of them will be your passport number. It may seem strange but in Spain the passport number (or the identity card number for nationals) is used for everything. So much so that you can spell your name wrong but if the number is correct they will accept it.
It is something that can even be annoying, that for the administration we are a number, not a name... but it is something that cannot be avoided, at least in Spain (I have been to other countries in the European Union and in none of them I have asked as they do in Spain).

If the data is name, address and passport number, they are data that they will legally ask for sooner or later.
What they should not ask you for is the expiration date (it is enough to know that it has not expired), where they gave it to you, or things like that. And if they ask you, you can enter an incorrect information and have it corrected later.

• Like 1