Barcelona Hotels

joehick

As mentioned back in April, we'd booked the Avenida Palace, based on mentions on this thread and further research.

It’s situated on the Gran Via, just a few minutes stroll from the Plaza Catalunya, so very central, with a metro station just outside. It’s an old building with quite a history but, inside, there was a top floor (9th) spacious room with good wifi, Nespresso machine and very welcome air-con. Beds were comfy, shower was efficient and breakfast was very good. Lots of choice, including the making of pan con tomate and other “continental” stuff. There was also hot  food but, truth be told, that rarely looks appealing in Spanish hotels and this was no exception.

We’d booked direct which got us a 10% discount on the rate, a small discount on the price of breakfast and a free welcome  drink. When we checked in, the guy on reception suggested we have that drink on the rooftop terrace. So we did, It’s a lovely spot with a small bar, small pool and big, big views of the city.

Good stay and thoroughly recommended.

On 5/11/2023 at 3:00 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Again stayed at H10 Catalunya Plaza both pre- and post-cruise.  Still absolutely love it.  We signed up for the H10 loyalty club (no cost, easy), so they throw in free daily breakfast-

Thanks for the recommendation.

Sadly, not offered anymore, at least for our booking end of August. I've even emailed them, "claiming" my free b'fast, after signing up for their loyalty club.... 

H10 CP was our 2nd choice, since Jazz was already fully booked.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:30 PM, dani negreanu said:

Thanks for the recommendation.

Sadly, not offered anymore, at least for our booking end of August. I've even emailed them, "claiming" my free b'fast, after signing up for their loyalty club.... 

H10 CP was our 2nd choice, since Jazz was already fully booked.

Sorry you could not get in to the Jazz, but I have to say thanks to you I was able to get a booking in January for November.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:00 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Just got back late Monday night...Again stayed at H10 Catalunya Plaza both pre- and post-cruise.  Still absolutely love it.  We signed up for the H10 loyalty club (no cost, easy), so they throw in free daily breakfast--one of the best hotel breakfasts anywhere--buffet with meats, cheeses, pastries, croissants, donuts, fruit, juices, etc.  plus included menu with omelets, cereals, pancakes, waffles, etc. made to order all in very nice and spacious room...and they throw in a free "welcome cocktail" of your choice at the hotel bar...and, they deliver to the room a half-liter bottle of wine, a box of chocolate truffles, some other chocolate crunchy treats...and, at the lobby, they have free welcome champagne, nuts and M&M type candies and some jelly candies...and, on the "P" level, they have a free coffee/capuccino/espresso machine and, for several hours each day, pastries, sandwiches, etc..  You really can't ask for much more out of a hotel.  And, again, the location is the best in Barcelona--right on the Placa!!!

Thanks for mentioning this!  I popped up on my screen and I would have discarded it if you hadn't said it was free.  Saved us some money!  I didn't see where it included free breakfast though.  

Can someone tell me how far this is from the major tourist attractions?  The main place I want to see is Sagrada Familia.  I won't know for sure how much time we will have to explore until we can book plane tickets, but most likely at least 48 hours, more if our flight arrives early in the morning, which we assume it will.

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

Fans of the H10 Catalunya - has anyone ever stayed in the Catalunya Duplex?  It says it’s got two double bedrooms and is cheaper than booking two rooms individually. Wondering if this is a good option for our family of 4. If anyone has stayed there, I’d especially love to hear more about the bed configurations in the two bedrooms. 

6D062C3C-9CCC-4622-A1FE-7323C2188E95.png

On 7/16/2023 at 3:54 PM, iujen94 said:

Fans of the H10 Catalunya - has anyone ever stayed in the Catalunya Duplex?  It says it’s got two double bedrooms and is cheaper than booking two rooms individually. Wondering if this is a good option for our family of 4. If anyone has stayed there, I’d especially love to hear more about the bed configurations in the two bedrooms. 

6D062C3C-9CCC-4622-A1FE-7323C2188E95.png

Sorry, commented on this and then realized my response was not relevant, so deleted it.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

On 3/13/2023 at 6:30 PM, Bruin Steve said:

If you stay in a hotel at or very near the Placa Catalunya, a good way to get there from the airport (or return) is to use the Aerobus...

https://aerobusbarcelona.es/?lang=en#

Cheap easy bus that picks up right at the terminal and drops off right on the Placa Catalunya...

6,75 € per person one-way or 11,65 € pp for a round trip ticket.  Frequent buses.  We took it both ways last time.  Pre-purchased tickets on the internet.  For our hotel, we only had to roll our suitcases across the plaza.  The "stop" is right in front of northern end of the El Corte Ingles department store.

On 3/13/2023 at 6:30 PM, Bruin Steve said:

If you stay in a hotel at or very near the Placa Catalunya, a good way to get there from the airport (or return) is to use the Aerobus...

https://aerobusbarcelona.es/?lang=en#

Hi Steve - That link isn't working for me (probably something I'm doing wrong) - thanks so much for the info on the bus because I just booked a pre-cruise stay at the H10 Catalunya Plaza for our Sun Princess cruise next February!  Wondering if the link is working for anyone else? 

Traveling in June 2024 with a group of 6, ranging in age from 16-76.  We will be in Barcelona 3 nights pre cruise.  We don't need "fancy," just clean, comfortable and convenient to walking/transportation. Looking to book 3 rooms.  Really don't want to do an AirBnB as I think we need a little separation😁.  Hotel Lleo, Hotel Atlantis & Hotel Continental Barcelona are all within in our price range and seem to meet our needs.  Which would you choose or does anyone have another recommendation?  Thank you for your help!

5 minutes ago, cuatthesea said:

Traveling in June 2024 with a group of 6, ranging in age from 16-76.  We will be in Barcelona 3 nights pre cruise.  We don't need "fancy," just clean, comfortable and convenient to walking/transportation. Looking to book 3 rooms.  Really don't want to do an AirBnB as I think we need a little separation😁.  Hotel Lleo, Hotel Atlantis & Hotel Continental Barcelona are all within in our price range and seem to meet our needs.  Which would you choose or does anyone have another recommendation?  Thank you for your help!

You could take a look at the Ibis chain. They are essentially budget hotels and are pretty common in Europe (they belong to the Accor group) and they are usually decent.

We have stayed twice at this one: https://all.accor.com/hotel/7567/index.en.shtml

It does a nice breakfast buffet or there are cafés nearby. A couple of minutes walk brings you to the Sagrada Familia and to a metro station.

For other locations in Barcelona see: https://ibis.accor.com/gb/city/hotels-barcelona-v0299.shtml

• Thanks 1

Helping out my wife with a pre-cruise hotel.  She's traveling with her mother.  

Do the hotels you all are recommending have elevators? I haven't been able to tell and most do not list it as an amenity.  

This may seem like a stupid question, but some of the best hotels we've ever stayed at in Europe do not have an elevator.  

27 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation with some old world charm?  When we travel to Europe we really enjoy staying in a hotel that offers some local flavor in the rooms and architecture. Thank you

H10 Catalunya Plaza definitely has it...it's a 37 room boutique hotel right on the Placa. 

Photo 1

The 1898 has it as well. 

Luxury hotel, Hotel 1898, Barcelona, Spain - Luxury Dream Hotels

I wholly recommend both of these hotels.  Most of the hotels you will find along Las Ramblas or in the Barri Gotic will be fairly charming--it's the older area of Barcelona and it's not like anyone's torn down historic buildings to build modern skyscrapers in those areas.  The Eixample District is the more "modern" section-- largely built in the 19th/early 20th centuries...but it has a considerable amount of charm.  Of course that is a little hit and miss.  One trip we stayed at the Gran Havana in the Eixample and, though we liked the hotel, it was definitely more of a "modern" hotel.  Getting out of this area, we one time stayed at the Hilton on the Diagonal (Financial District) and that was like a Hilton anywhere else in the world.  Barcelona itself is fairly charming, but, for you, I highly recommend staying near Las Ramblas.  Read reviews and look at the photos on hotel websites.

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thank you Bruin Steve. We have been to Barcelona 3 times, and stayed twice for several days. We were in a neighborhood within walking distance to everything and it was just charming with exposed walls, quietness, and each room unique. I have not been able to locate it, so I appreciate these two suggestions and will look at both of them!  We love Barcelona but depending on flights will only stay for two nights this trip. Again, my thanks. 

We stayed at the Chic and Basic Lemon Hotel. It was fantastic. Super cute and clean. Loved the outdoor patio and free coffee. Had a small balcony for watching the sunset and a great locations. Most of all... affordable. 

4 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation with some old world charm?  When we travel to Europe we really enjoy staying in a hotel that offers some local flavor in the rooms and architecture. Thank you

The Majestic on Passeig de Gracia.