Barcelona Hotels

joehick

We just booked the INNSiDE by Melia Barcelona Apolo as it seems conveniently close to the metro, La Rambla, and the port.  And I could pay for it with points.  Anybody ever stayed there?

I’m wondering how easy it would be to take the metro from the airport to the hotel considering how close to Parralel metro stop it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 9:39 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I may have mentioned this before, but if not: We really enjoyed Hotel Granvia.  It was around $150, included a nice breakfast, and was located in the area I prefer for Barcelona (L'Example, near Placa Catalunya). 

I'm looking at booking for May and it the rooms are over $350 a night. 

Last month (November) we stayed at the H10 Catalunya Plaça Boutique Hotel, which is also right across from the Plaza. We chose that as the prices seem more reasonable, and we liked the hotel and its great location.

By the way, there is a tapas restaurant about two blocks away that is excellent, Cuitat Comtal.

Anyone staying in the area: don't miss it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zinniagirl said:

I'm looking at booking for May and it the rooms are over $350 a night. 

Wow.  That's crazy.  We only stayed there in late April, though I probably booked the hotel 6 months in advance.  I've also stayed at Room Mate Anna, a block from Casa Batllo.  I liked that a lot, too, though it's not for everyone -- modest for sure, but in the same great location as H10 & Granvia.  And some rooms have tiny balconies that overlook Casa Batllo, which is beautifully lit at night.

Some cruise folks like Hotel Jazz, over closer to the Ramblas. I haven't stayed there, though.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

• 4 weeks later...

Do most folks book directly with the hotel or through Booking.com?  In the states I like to book directly with the hotel.  Which is better in Barcelona?

Also, any thoughts on Colon Hotel? We stayed there about 12 years ago.

Typically, I check various booking sites--usually via tripadvisor.com which checks multiple sites. Then I check the hotel's own website. In the end, most times, I find the hotel's own site is at least equal to the best deal... and that's who I book through--unless some outside site gives me a much better deal.

Other rules/comments: I always try to book as early as possible... and always on a cancelable rate. Then I frequently check back to see if prices may have gone down... or if there were other choices, to see if any have better rates on the table from time to time. Always consider rates with breakfast but also check what the hotel's normal breakfast rates are. Always choose hotels for convi=enience--close to attractions, close to restaurants, close to transportation options. Never go by numerical ratings only--read the reviews... but remember, some people give good reviews to bad hotels because they have low standards...and some people give bad reviews to good hotels for reasons unconnected to the hotels (like an issue with the booking process or cancelation process or some rude agent they encountered while calling the hotel chain with a question).  Read the reviews for comments regarding things important to you--location, room size, services provided, maintenance issues, etc.  And also note that it's often worth it to pay a little more for a better hotel.   Lowest price should not be a prime criteria...if it's about saving a few $$$ on a vacation that you are spending thousands on...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Typically, I check various booking sites--usually via tripadvisor.com which checks multiple sites. Then I check the hotel's own website. In the end, most times, I find the hotel's own site is at least equal to the best deal... and that's who I book through--unless some outside site gives me a much better deal.

Other rules/comments: I always try to book as early as possible... and always on a cancelable rate. Then I frequently check back to see if prices may have gone down... or if there were other choices, to see if any have better rates on the table from time to time. Always consider rates with breakfast but also check what the hotel's normal breakfast rates are. Always choose hotels for convi=enience--close to attractions, close to restaurants, close to transportation options. Never go by numerical ratings only--read the reviews... but remember, some people give good reviews to bad hotels because they have low standards...and some people give bad reviews to good hotels for reasons unconnected to the hotels (like an issue with the booking process or cancelation process or some rude agent they encountered while calling the hotel chain with a question).  Read the reviews for comments regarding things important to you--location, room size, services provided, maintenance issues, etc.  And also note that it's often worth it to pay a little more for a better hotel.   Lowest price should not be a prime criteria...if it's about saving a few $$$ on a vacation that you are spending thousands on...

Thank you Steve!

I've looked at Hotel Jazz but they show only non-refundable room for October.  I'd like to book a refundable hotel in case plans change.  I've stayed at Hotel Jazz and Colon Hotel.  We are only staying one night pre-cruise but we'll have one day to sight see and want to go to La Sagrada Familia.  Any hotel suggestions would be welcome.

46 minutes ago, SharonK said:

I've looked at Hotel Jazz but they show only non-refundable room for October.  I'd like to book a refundable hotel in case plans change.  I've stayed at Hotel Jazz and Colon Hotel.  We are only staying one night pre-cruise but we'll have one day to sight see and want to go to La Sagrada Familia.  Any hotel suggestions would be welcome.

We stayed at the H10 Catalunya Plaza and were fine with that. We used a guide at Tours by Locals to visit La Sagrada Familia and felt that it was worth it and added to our visit to hear the details connected with almost every aspect of if.

8 minutes ago, brer111 said:

Do the hotels in Barcelona for example H10 Catalony place have an elevator to the rooms or is it stairs only? TIA

H10 Catalunya Plaza has an elevator...We've stayed there several times now...and LOVE IT.  We've also stayed at the 1898, at thr Continental--also both near the Placa and both also have elevators.  We've also stayed in other areas--the Hilton in the Financial district and the Gran Havana on Corts Catalans... and ALL have elevators.  I think most higher end hotels in Barcelona have elevators.  I'd queston any 1 or 2 star, B&B, Pension or Hostel...SOME might be walk-up, but any good hotel will have an elevator.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We stayed at the H10 Catalunya Plaza and were fine with that. We used a guide at Tours by Locals to visit La Sagrada Familia and felt that it was worth it and added to our visit to hear the details connected with almost every aspect of if.

Thank you Bill.  Sounds like a great idea!  Hotel booked!

Just now, SharonK said:

Thank you Bill.  Sounds like a great idea!  Hotel booked!

It's not the largest elevator, but we managed to get our luggage in with us!😃

If you didn't see an earlier note, Cuidat Comtal is an excellent tapas restaurant a couple of blocks away. If you go, try the eggplant chips! (I know, sounds strange, just trust me...)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

It's not the largest elevator, but we managed to get our luggage in with us!😃

If you didn't see an earlier note, Cuidat Comtal is an excellent tapas restaurant a couple of blocks away. If you go, try the eggplant chips! (I know, sounds strange, just trust me...)

Thanks again Bill.We will have to try the eggplant chips.  It actually sounds good to me!

22 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

H10 Catalunya Plaza has an elevator...We've stayed there several times now...and LOVE IT.  We've also stayed at the 1898, at thr Continental--also both near the Placa and both also have elevators.  We've also stayed in other areas--the Hilton in the Financial district and the Gran Havana on Corts Catalans... and ALL have elevators.  I think most higher end hotels in Barcelona have elevators.  I'd queston any 1 or 2 star, B&B, Pension or Hostel...SOME might be walk-up, but any good hotel will have an elevator.

Hi @Bruin Steve - say more good things about H10 Catalunya!!  We booked it based on comments I saw a year ago, and now we're just 3 SHORT weeks from our trip so I'm eager to hear good things as I race through the house, randomly moving piles of clothing into the sort/stay/take/pack/think about stacks!!

On 1/16/2024 at 9:59 PM, SharonK said:

Do most folks book directly with the hotel or through Booking.com?  In the states I like to book directly with the hotel.  Which is better in Barcelona?

Also, any thoughts on Colon Hotel? We stayed there about 12 years ago.

Hotel website direct for the best rate, free add-ons and pay upon arrival. We stayed at Hotel Lleo in September. Great location and comfortable rooms. 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:32 AM, SharonK said:

On 1/18/2024 at 2:33 PM, Morecruisesplz said:

Hotel website direct for the best rate, free add-ons and pay upon arrival. We stayed at Hotel Lleo in September. Great location and comfortable rooms. 

Hit the info icon that usually includes other rates that have refundable rates, they are little more for that rate. Love Hotel Jazz have stayed there on 3 times. 

On 1/17/2024 at 4:32 PM, SharonK said:

Take a look at the Ibis Barcelona Centro (Sagrado Familia). It's about a 3 minute walk away. Ibis is a well known budget brand in Europe that belongs to the Accor group. Sign up to their loyalty programme for a small discount.

I've stayed here a couple of times pre-cruise and for one night with SF as your priority it's just fine. Breakfast is decent and reasonably priced. Add it on at the time of booking.

There is another Ibis hotel also in the vicinity, a sub-brand called Ibis Styles, that get good reviews. It's a little farther away but still within easy walking distance.

On 1/18/2024 at 10:33 PM, Morecruisesplz said:

Agree. Booking.com is great for research purposes but booking direct usually gets you the best deal. I stayed at the Lleo many years ago. Glad to know it's still good.

• 2 weeks later...

H10 Hotel 15% WINTERSALE + 5% club discount is back on today. I booked H10 Raco del pi as it is a bit cheaper than Catalunya Plaça.  I gathered that Raco is not as nice as Catalunya Plaça but is it still a good choice?

Edited by sfaaa

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Looking at the AC hotel..part of the Marriott chain. Near the Diagonel Mar shopping center.

Anyone ever stay here?

AC hotels are very nice. However this one is not centrally located for any of the main tourist areas.