Barcelona Hotels

joehick

On 5/9/2023 at 12:38 PM, iujen94 said:

Looking for a pre-cruise Barcelona hotel, probably for 2 nights.  I've got status with Hyatt and Marriott, so I like to stay at their properties when possible.  Any feedback, good or bad, on these options?  We don't need high-end luxury - just a nice, comfortable hotel that's convenient to transportation and sights.  Thanks!

Hyatt:

Hotel Bagues

Grand Hotel Central

Wittmore Hotel

Claris Hotel & Spa

Marriott:

Le Meridien Barcelona

Cotton House

Renaissance Barcelona

The Barcelona EDITION

AC Hotel Irla

Hotel Arts Barcelona

W Barcelona

@iujen94 I have no first hand experience, but did a fair bit of research on the Marriott options (since I also have status/points with them).  My stay will not be until this fall (pre cruise for a HAL TA in November) so not certain if you can wait for my full review then.  Your top 4 listed were all high on my list.  Others in my roll call had good remarks for all of them.  I ended up with the Renaissance due to the location.  Very close to the HOHO stops, close to museums I am interested in, good reviews.  I think either Meridien or Edition was the top from others in the roll call but they gave good marks to the Renaissance as well. 

I was severely tempted for the Cotton House because of the decor/former building.  I love interesting architecture and buildings that have been converted.  (Let me tell you about a Marriott hotel in downtown Providence RI that used to be the Masonic temple!)  DH was less interested in that one and it seemed the most expensive (dollars or points wise).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 5:29 AM, Mary Louise said:

I am staying at the H10 Metropolitan. No one on CC has provided a review of it. I did like the location and the amenities that it offered. Glad to hear you liked the hotel chain.

We're booked at H10 Metropolitan in October 2024 for a week between cruises.  The hotel gets very good reviews on sites other than CC.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 12:25 PM, ssb said:

Yes I agree >

In middle of everything .

Stay at Hotel Continental in a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas . 

Morning coffee and evening happy hour and late night cap on balcony.

24/7 free deli ,breakfast, lunch, dinner items.

Free Beer wine ice cream coffee . 

Security .

Sitting areas for meeting other cruisers .

This is a cruisers hotel . 

One half block from major transportation center to entire city .  

We stayed at the Sercotel Rosellon the night before the cruise.  They have a great rooftop deck with a bar overlooking the Segrada Familia.  We stayed at the Continental on La Ramblas after the cruise. It’s in a great spot with balconies.  We loved both hotels

Continental is exceptional with the balcony for morning coffees , afternoon early happy hours and late night night caps . Free deli 24/7 with complementary beer wine coffees ice cream etc . 

Edited by ssb

2 hours ago, ssb said:

Continental is exceptional with the balcony for morning coffees , afternoon early happy hours and late night night caps . Free deli 24/7 with complementary beer wine coffees ice cream etc . 

Picture at Sercotel Rosellon and balcony at The Continental 

704C1129-912B-4190-AD6C-1021158226B5.jpeg

8FD52ABD-500C-4ADE-AD2C-17A34CF0B435.jpeg

B67915AC-476B-4D42-9D90-95C942242E73.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:00 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Just got back late Monday night...Again stayed at H10 Catalunya Plaza both pre- and post-cruise.  Still absolutely love it.  We signed up for the H10 loyalty club (no cost, easy), so they throw in free daily breakfast--one of the best hotel breakfasts anywhere--buffet with meats, cheeses, pastries, croissants, donuts, fruit, juices, etc.  plus included menu with omelets, cereals, pancakes, waffles, etc. made to order all in very nice and spacious room...and they throw in a free "welcome cocktail" of your choice at the hotel bar...and, they deliver to the room a half-liter bottle of wine, a box of chocolate truffles, some other chocolate crunchy treats...and, at the lobby, they have free welcome champagne, nuts and M&M type candies and some jelly candies...and, on the "P" level, they have a free coffee/capuccino/espresso machine and, for several hours each day, pastries, sandwiches, etc..  You really can't ask for much more out of a hotel.  And, again, the location is the best in Barcelona--right on the Placa!!!

Steve, thanks! So glad we saw your post.

* Is the Aerobus (from BCN) drop-off near the H10 Catalunya Plaza hotel? How far a walk would it be from the bus drop-off to the hotel?

* The H10 loyalty club...did you sign up online before you left, or at the hotel?

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

* Is the Aerobus (from BCN) drop-off near the H10 Catalunya Plaza hotel? How far a walk would it be from the bus drop-off to the hotel?  VERY NEAR.  Maybe about 500 feet...it's just across the Placa from the Northeast corner to the Northwest corner.

* The H10 loyalty club...did you sign up online before you left, or at the hotel?

Joined when we made our reservation the first time online.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 4:59 PM, doones2 said:

We stayed at the Sercotel Rosellon the night before the cruise.

We'll be staying there for 3 days before our cruise in late October.

The hotel and neighborhood came highly recommended by our friends who stay there whenever they are in Barcelona.

44 minutes ago, sea mom said:

Can anybody recommend a Marriott property close to the cruise terminal.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/bcnmd-le-meridien-barcelona/overview/

Nice Marriott hotel in one of the best locations in Barcelona--right on Las Ramblas not far from the Placa Catalunya and a very short taxi ride to the cruise terminal.  I also highly recommend the H10 Catalunya Plaza and the 1898--both very nearby, but you wanted, specifically, a Marriott product and this one fits the bill.  You are not going to find a better located Marriott.

Edited by Bruin Steve

25 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

No one seems to mention the lowest price best hotels. Sure the higher priced hotels are great as they should be but what about those lower priced gems? Anyone find any ?

We stayed at Citadines Ramblas Barcelona a few years ago and have no problem recommending it.  It is a well located, modern, clean, reasonably priced hotel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Just a note thanking everyone for all the remarks here. We finally chose to book the H10 Catalunya Plaza in November. Great price and great location.

I am also staying there night before my cruise in November. If it’s before November 17 let me know how it is.

39 minutes ago, tony s said:

I am also staying there night before my cruise in November. If it’s before November 17 let me know how it is.

I've reported on it earlier in this thread...We've stayed there four times in the past year.  WE LOVE IT.  And we've been to Barcelona MANY times.  We've stayed at the Hilton, the Gran Havana, the Continental, the 1898 and a few others.  This one was our favorite.  The rooms have been very comfortable, the breakfast is outstanding, the location could not get any better, the hotel staff is friendly and helpful.  Sign up for their loyalty club on their website at the time of reservation and they throw in a lot of extras--FREE breakfast, a welcome drink at the bar, a bottle of wine in the room, chocolates to the room.  They have champagne available gratis at the front desk.  They have a free espresso/capuccino machine on the P-level with free pastries and sandwiches there for a good portion of the day.  If there is any negative it's that they don't have a pool (though you can use the pool at another H10 hotel just around the corner of you want).  The location is incredible.  They are RIGHT ON the Placa Catalunya--the large public square at the head of Las Ramblas.  There are dozens of restaurants of all types within a couple of blocks.  All of the ground transportation opions--including the HOHO bus, the Aerobus to and from the airport, the subway system and more are within steps.  The great El Corte Ingles Department Store with its outstanding basement supermarket is right across the Placa.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jonthomas said:

No one seems to mention the lowest price best hotels. Sure the higher priced hotels are great as they should be but what about those lower priced gems? Anyone find any ?

8 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Hotel Lleo

I've stayed at the Lleo in the past and was very pleased with it.

More recently, I've used the Hotel Ibis Barcelona Centre Sagrada Familia which, as the name suggests, is a very short walk from the famous landmark.

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

Still not a low price with breakfast.

"Low price" is a relative term.  Everyone has a different concept as to what is "low".  And prices at ANY hotel, anywhere in the world, vary greatly depending on what dates you are booking it for (prices at many hotels vary high season to low season, some vary between weeknights and weekend nights) and they vary even more depending on WHEN you book them...It's all supply and demand and often go up over time...booking very early often gets you a much lower price.

Some cities are far more expensive than others.

Also, everyone has different standards.  We generally will not stay in a hotel that doesn't reach a certain level of quality or that isn't in a prime location.  Other people are willing to stay in what we consider pretty substandard accomodations or in some inconvenient locations.  It's all a matter of personal preferences and standards.  When we travel to Tokyo in March, we are staying in what is rated a 4.5 star hotel in an excellent location--and paying just over $300 US per night with breakfast for a "superior" room.  As far as I can tell, for Tokyo, that is pretty much a bargain.  In Barcelona, we stayed at the H10 CP this last time for under 200 euros per night including breakfast.  For Barcelona, that is a bargain.  Of course, each time, we booked the hotel several months ahead of time.

Could we have found lower cost accomodationseach time?  Probably less.  But there are always trade-offs.  I am fully convinced that spending a little more on a nicer hotel in a better location is worth every penny.  Other people may be willing to stay in some questionable accommodations just to save a few dollars.  But it is up to everyone to find that level with which they feel comfortable.

• Like 1