Barcelona Hotels

joehick

We stayed several days after the cruise. If I remember  correctly, the room is like a standard cruise ship room in size.  With open two suitcases on the floor, we had to climb over them to get to bathroom. I think the price is very good for the location, ambiance, and staff. Saved by walking to nearby restaurants and hotel is a  pick-up for tours. I think you will be fine.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:04 AM, Fanpower said:

We stayed several days after the cruise. If I remember  correctly, the room is like a standard cruise ship room in size.  With open two suitcases on the floor, we had to climb over them to get to bathroom. I think the price is very good for the location, ambiance, and staff. Saved by walking to nearby restaurants and hotel is a  pick-up for tours. I think you will be fine.

Thank you, I booked it. Would have preferred a superior room, but booked for our dates.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, Natalie810 said:

Hello. We are going on a Western European Cruise.  Starting in Barcelona and ending in Rome.
We plan to go a couple of days early and were wondering about hotel recommendations in Barcelona?

Also wondering about the conclusion of the cruise in Rome. What time is the best flight time to head home to Chicago?

We are also doing a cruise in November starting in Barcelona and ending in Rome. Staying 2 days pre cruise and 1 day post.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bigsky said:

Has anyone stayed at the H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel?

We have not stayed at the H10 Montcada, however, last two visits, we stayed at the H10 Catalunya Plaza--which we loved so much we've booked them again for both our pre- and post cruise this April/May...

H10 is a Spanish chain which operates 13 hotels in Barcelona alone.  The Montcada is a 79 room hotel, the Catalunya Plaza, where we've stayed, is a 46 room hotel.  Considering the smallish size, I think H10 does a very good job of managing...and there were some very good amenities.  The breakfast at our hotel was EXCELLENT...with both a very diverse and well done buffet plus an excellent menu of cooked items which you could order and have delivered hot to your table.  There were nespresso machines in the room as well as one in the lounge areas--along with some snacks and pastries throughout the day.  The restaurant also had a small bar...and gave us a free welcome drink of choice for each stay.

We had a minor problem with out room the first stay (not of their doing--construction in the building next door) and, after we mentioned it to the hotel, they responded by upgrading our room for our return stay.

Now, personally, I don't like the location of the Montcada...though, overall, it's not bad...You are in the Barri Gotic--the old quarter...not far from the Cathedral or the Picasso Museum...but about a 15 minute walk from Las Ramblas or from the Placa Catalunya...

After staying in 6 or 7 different hotels in various locations in Barcelona, I've gotten to where I always choose to stay as close as possible to the Placa Catalunya.  It's the easiest location from which to walk to most sites or to pick up various form of public trasportation or tours...and for airport transpoirtation...sort of the center of everything for tourists in Barcelona...One of the things I love about the H10 Catalunya Plaza...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I may have replied before. If so, sorry.  But I researched these hotels: Granvia near Placa Catalunya (beautiful interior, great location, decent price (around $160, though I booked 5 months ago).  A number on people on a Facebook group page like Hotel Jazz.  Casa Mathilda near Diagonal Metro looked good to me, though some people may want more cushiness. And the same goes for Room Mate Anna, which is a bit quirky but in a great location close to Gaudi's Casa Batllo.  (Get a deluxe room, with tiny balcony looking to Batllo).  But I haven't stayed at any of these hotels other than Room Mate Anna.  Pricewise, Granvia, Jazz and Mathilda were about the same when I looked 5 months ago.  For people preferring a hotel closer to the port (but farther from tourist spots) there is a Grand European Eurostars Hotel that may appeal to some people.  It is definitely more expensive, however. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, Clonmelgal said:

I’d love to get some advice on hotels, excursions from you. Newly retired, travelling solo. Not first time to Europe, but first time in 45+ years! Cruising on Enchantment in November this year. Arriving later at night in Barcelona two days ahead. Canadian gal from Ontario.

We found the kimpton to be a great spot in the Gothic quarter and since you're traveling solo you might appreciate their nightly social hour to meet other guests. I highly recommend Rao and Vianna for dinner out even as a solo diner (tables are close enough together that most people are friendly and engage with one another, it's quite enjoyable). The Gaudi sites were all worth visiting (there are a number of passes of available depending on how long you will be in Barcelona), the market is a must, public transportation is easy and I always felt safe even with many stories of pick pockets (use a small crossbody with strong strap and be aware of your surroundings). 

• Like 2

its a weird hotel...decor wise, also some rooms are better than others but hard to tell which ones...until you are in it...

yes there is a buffet, but mostly not anything that tastes good.......

I am looking for something as reasonable as it is but better ....in respect to breakfast and accommodation...

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 4:02 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Now, personally, I don't like the location of the Montcada...though, overall, it's not bad...You are in the Barri Gotic--the old quarter...not far from the Cathedral or the Picasso Museum...but about a 15 minute walk from Las Ramblas or from the Placa Catalunya...

After staying in 6 or 7 different hotels in various locations in Barcelona, I've gotten to where I always choose to stay as close as possible to the Placa Catalunya.  It's the easiest location from which to walk to most sites or to pick up various form of public trasportation or tours...and for airport transpoirtation...sort of the center of everything for tourists in Barcelona...One of the things I love about the H10 Catalunya Plaza...

I will look at the Catlunya. We still have time. We made our reservations a while ago. Never been to Barcelona, I wasn't sure which was a good or bad area.

Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 4:02 PM, Bruin Steve said:

I just canceled my other reservation and booked the Catalunya! Thanks!

You people are stressing me out trying to make this decision 😂

If you had to choose between Hotel 1898 and Hotel Jazz, which would you choose and why?  
Do either have airport/hotel or hotel/cruiseport transfers? 

We're staying 2 nights in July, pre-cruise and like to walk to explore the cities.  Understanding we'll need transportation to get to a few of the locations we want to see.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gail-s said:

You people are stressing me out trying to make this decision 😂

If you had to choose between Hotel 1898 and Hotel Jazz, which would you choose and why?  
Do either have airport/hotel or hotel/cruiseport transfers? 

We're staying 2 nights in July, pre-cruise and like to walk to explore the cities.  Understanding we'll need transportation to get to a few of the locations we want to see.  

Stayed at the 1898 for four days pre-cruise the visit before lat...and LOVED it.  Maybe the only reason we didn't go back this last visit or this next one was that the prices for our dates were a little high and we got the H10 Catalunya Plaza (which we also love) for a much better rate.  We had also booked the Jazz for a trip that got canceled during the pandemic.

I don't think you can go really wrong with any of those... But, between the 1898 and the Jazz, I think the 1898 is a little nicer...and the location is a bit better as well... If all else is equal, I'd say take the 1898...IMHO

• Like 2

No hotel has shuttles to the airport or cruise port. That is not an European thing. The only exceptions could be some American hotel chains in the immediate vicinity of an airport.

However,  all hotels will be happy to call you a taxi. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

If you stay in a hotel at or very near the Placa Catalunya, a good way to get there from the airport (or return) is to use the Aerobus...

https://aerobusbarcelona.es/?lang=en#

Cheap easy bus that picks up right at the terminal and drops off right on the Placa Catalunya...

6,75 € per person one-way or 11,65 € pp for a round trip ticket.  Frequent buses.  We took it both ways last time.  Pre-purchased tickets on the internet.  For our hotel, we only had to roll our suitcases across the plaza.  The "stop" is right in front of northern end of the El Corte Ingles department store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,  We are going on a NCL cruise in early June.  We have air from MCO to BCN purchased thru NCL.  I was wondering if anyone use the NCL service for 2 nights precruise hotel in Barcelona?  Also do you know what hotels NCL uses.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:12 AM, bobbaluha said:

Hi all,  We are going on a NCL cruise in early June.  We have air from MCO to BCN purchased thru NCL.  I was wondering if anyone use the NCL service for 2 nights precruise hotel in Barcelona?  Also do you know what hotels NCL uses.

From NCL Home Page - Explore>Land & Sea>Scroll down to find Hotels.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:00 PM, jonthomas said:

which hotel close to plaza catalunia did you book?

H10 Plaza Catalunya...it's right in the plaza. We booked directly thru them and got free breakfast as well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...