Any last-minute things for a first timer to remember?

kshannon5

Here's not something to not forget, but something to be sure not to do. Don't place your boarding pass and passport in the bags you're checking. We had a travelling companion who had her eTicket in the bag she checked at the port. That wasn't that big of a deal, since her reservation could be looked up. But on our last flight to London we were checking in next to a couple who had placed their passports in the bags they had just checked. Their bags were long out of sight when they were asked for their travel documents! Geez I felt sorry for them. When you arrive at the terminal, the stevedores will be hustling to take your bags. Make sure you keep whatever you'll need for the next few hours in your carry-on bag.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:38 PM, frankp01 said:

Here's not something to not forget, but something to be sure not to do. Don't place your boarding pass and passport in the bags you're checking. We had a travelling companion who had her eTicket in the bag she checked at the port. That wasn't that big of a deal, since her reservation could be looked up. But on our last flight to London we were checking in next to a couple who had placed their passports in the bags they had just checked. Their bags were long out of sight when they were asked for their travel documents! Geez I felt sorry for them. When you arrive at the terminal, the stevedores will be hustling to take your bags. Make sure you keep whatever you'll need for the next few hours in your carry-on bag.

Excellent thing to double check.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:47 PM, frankp01 said:

Another 'to do' rather than 'thing'... Send yourself a postcard from onboard. The QM2 is a Royal  Mail Ship, so you'll get a nice postmark...

IMAG1483.jpg

Can the Purser's desk provide the appropriate stamp?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kshannon5 said:

Can the Purser's desk provide the appropriate stamp?

Yes, but they make a small charge for “posting from ship”.  Think from memory (pre covid) it was over $1.00 plus the cost of the stamp. In no doubt CC will confirm latest prices.

• Like 1

I honestly don't remember if I bought the stamps from the purser's desk or if I carried them aboard. I wasn't sure which nationality's stamp to use! We were sailing into NYC, but the red post box is British, so, technically it's as if it had been posted in Britain! Once the mailpiece is in the post box there's no way to track it back to a specific passenger. So I may have bought the stamps from the purser, affixed them to the cards, and dropped them in the box.

Just now, frankp01 said:

I honestly don't remember if I bought the stamps from the purser's desk or if I carried them aboard. I wasn't sure which nationality's stamp to use! We were sailing into NYC, but the red post box is British, so, technically it's as if it had been posted in Britain! Once the mailpiece is in the post box there's no way to track it back to a specific passenger. So I may have bought the stamps from the purser, affixed them to the cards, and dropped them in the box.

The notice posted on the mail box said to use US stamps, or it did when we were on a westbound crossing last month. Perhaps the notice is different when traveling eastbound?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, sfred said:

Three thoughts not previously mentioned....

1. Lastly, one time I forgot cufflinks for formal nights.  The ship's retail shops sell them, although at rather high prices.

My husband has Cunard cufflinks too.  The first formal night we had to use paperclips because he didn't realize he'd forgotten them until just before dinner.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

My husband has Cunard cufflinks too.  The first formal night we had to use paperclips because he didn't realize he'd forgotten them until just before dinner.

Necessity is the mother of invention!

I borrowed the concierge's stapler when I caught my heel in a hem. Perfect solution until I got back to the cabin and fished out one of my many saved emergency sewing kits!

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Necessity is the mother of invention!

I borrowed the concierge's stapler when I caught my heel in a hem. Perfect solution until I got back to the cabin and fished out one of my many saved emergency sewing kits!

We found these to be very useful:

515RwOdokqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

They hold my napkin to my tie/shirt as a bib if I'm eating a sauce dish while wearing a light Tux or shirt.  We use them with our bungee cord washing line on the balcony, and when we realised my wife's gown was too long for her dance heels they held the hem up several inches. They travelled around with us every evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We bring:

- an over the door shoe holder. We actually hang it in the closet and it gives us a ton of extra storage space. Easy access too)

- A battery powered candle provides ambience for romantic nights. (Real candles are illegal)

- Alcohol or bleach wipes to wipe down the cabin (remote control, door knobs, light switches, refrigerator handle and other things the cabin steward may forget).

- Extra pair of  glasses

- photo copies of passport

- Extra phone charger

- Post-it notes

- Final tip. . . . if you get lost easily, or have difficulty remembering room numbers, bring something to decorate your cabin door with! A photo, a drawing, anything yu can tape up to make it easy to recognize.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but we always pack a few small magnets to attach various ship printouts of events , itinerary etc to the cabin wall. Hook shaped ones are also useful for hanging toiletry / makeup bags with handles. 

Should you forget them then buying a souvenir magnet in each port of call is a nice handy alternative. Cunard also sell a variety in one of their onboard shops. 

On 2/12/2023 at 11:58 AM, TV Dad said:

We bring:

- an over the door shoe holder. We actually hang it in the closet and it gives us a ton of extra storage space. Easy access too)

- A battery powered candle provides ambience for romantic nights. (Real candles are illegal)

- Alcohol or bleach wipes to wipe down the cabin (remote control, door knobs, light switches, refrigerator handle and other things the cabin steward may forget).

- Extra pair of  glasses

- photo copies of passport

- Extra phone charger

- Post-it notes

- Final tip. . . . if you get lost easily, or have difficulty remembering room numbers, bring something to decorate your cabin door with! A photo, a drawing, anything yu can tape up to make it easy to recognize.

And you can go on Youtube and watch a load of travel tip videos, take all the extra stuff they recommend, and when you open your case in your cabin you'll be able to use all the drawers that Cunard helpfully provides to store your spare bathplug, spare coathanger, long piece of string, collection of clothespegs, travel clothes line, small roll of ducktape, laundry bag, carrier bags, luggage scales, mending kit, earplugs, and the rest.

• Haha 3