Volendam no more ?

mwj

3 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

There could be a case where the ship could originate in Quebec and stop in Bermuda and then end in Fort Lauderdale.  I would definitely book that.

If the ship originated in Quebec (or any other port outside the US), it wouldn't have to go to Bermuda. It could sail non-stop to Ft. Lauderdale without violating the PVSA. 
No sure how appealing such an itinerary would be, but it's certainly possible. 

The whole NE/CAN cruise scenario is likely to change in 2024.  Bar Harbor no longer accepting vessels with more than 1,000 pax and HAL vessels unable to get to Montreal.  I'd expect to see more Canadian maritime ports (probably with tenders) and cruises ending in Quebec city.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shack said:

The whole NE/CAN cruise scenario is likely to change in 2024.  Bar Harbor no longer accepting vessels with more than 1,000 pax and HAL vessels unable to get to Montreal.  I'd expect to see more Canadian maritime ports (probably with tenders) and cruises ending in Quebec city.

In the summer of 2016 HAL had scheduled an itinerary which I had booked beyond the usual 7 day Boston to Montreal and back route that was going to take the Maasdam into stops in Newfoundland over like 10-11 days. Sadly that ended up being cancelled as did other itineraries on other cruise lines because the hot spot became Cuba. In the last couple of years they have started adding a couple of longer cruises with stops in Newfoundland and even beyond to Greenland and Iceland ports. As interesting as the trip down the St. Lawrence River to Quebec City and Montreal is, it would be nice if they once or twice did a cruise that went from Boston to Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia, stopping at Prince Edward Island, and then proceeding to a sort of 3/4 circumnavigation of Newfoundland starting at Corner Brook on the west coast, then north to Red Bay, Labrador and east to St. Anthony and cruising the north coast around to St. Johns on the east coast. Before heading back to Boston stopping at the French island of St. Pierre et Miquelon just south of Newfoundland and then Portland, Maine. It is essentially taking the 25 day cruise that the Zaandam is doing this summer to Newfoundland, Greenland, and Iceland but eliminating the Greenland and Iceland stops which are sandwiched in the middle and ending up with an interesting lets say 11-12 day Best of Newfoundland cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

As interesting as the trip down the St. Lawrence River to Quebec City and Montreal is, it would be nice if they once or twice did a cruise that went from Boston to Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia, stopping at Prince Edward Island, and then proceeding to a sort of 3/4 circumnavigation of Newfoundland starting at Corner Brook on the west coast, then north to Red Bay, Labrador and east to St. Anthony and cruising the north coast around to St. Johns on the east coast. Before heading back to Boston stopping at the French island of St. Pierre et Miquelon just south of Newfoundland and then Portland, Maine. It is essentially taking the 25 day cruise that the Zaandam is doing this summer to Newfoundland, Greenland, and Iceland but eliminating the Greenland and Iceland stops which are sandwiched in the middle and ending up with an interesting lets say 11-12 day Best of Newfoundland cruise. 

Great suggestion for a fabulous itinerary! I love it! 

I took the Canada/Greenland/Iceland and return cruise last summer, and plan to take this year's version, too. If HAL wants to offer your proposal, I'll sign right up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will predict that HAL soon gets rid of both the Volendam and Zaandam.   These days, smaller ships are becoming rare except for the so-called Premium and Luxury lines.  Increasing operating costs combined with economy of scale issues do not favor smaller ships for a mass market line...especially a line that lately seems to be falling into a "budget" category.

Hank

On 1/1/2023 at 4:58 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately, whether or not the Volendam is included among the 3 ships which have already been sold, I do not think for one moment that CCL is done downsizing.

VOLENDAM is probably the next one to eventually leave their fleet  

1 hour ago, Homelines said:

The third is the Aida Aura.

That is great news for the fans of HAL's two smaller ships remaining, the Zaandam and Volendam. Barring any unforeseen circumstances they will likely continue to sail though at least 2024.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 12:51 PM, richwmn said:

Hamilton, Bermuda does not qualify as a 'distant' foreign port. Your itinerary isn't covered by the PVSA because it ends in a foreign port (Montreal) and does not transport people between two US cities without a 'distant' foreign port.

HAL does Alaska cruises from Seattle which stop in Victoria before returning to Seattle. Why is a "Distant" foreign port not required for those cruises?

6 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

HAL does Alaska cruises from Seattle which stop in Victoria before returning to Seattle. Why is a "Distant" foreign port not required for those cruises?

A round trip out of the same US port only needs to stop at a foreign port, so Victoria qualifies. 

A ONE WAY cruise, from one US port to another US port must stop at a DISTANT  foreign port. In simple terms a " distant " foreign port is a port not within North America or the Caribbean. Note, Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao are considered part of South America. 

It's just the rules.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Under the terms of the PVSA a cruise that begins and ends in the same US port only needs a foreign port and Victoria qualifies. A 'distant' foreign port is required for a cruise that begins in one US city and ends in another, like San Diego to Fort Lauderdale which stops at either Carteghena Columbia or one of the ABC islands which are considered 'distant'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:36 PM, Hlitner said:

I will predict that HAL soon gets rid of both the Volendam and Zaandam.   These days, smaller ships are becoming rare except for the so-called Premium and Luxury lines.  Increasing operating costs combined with economy of scale issues do not favor smaller ships for a mass market line...especially a line that lately seems to be falling into a "budget" category.

Hank

I agree.. 

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Under the terms of the PVSA a cruise that begins and ends in the same US port only needs a foreign port and Victoria qualifies. A 'distant' foreign port is required for a cruise that begins in one US city and ends in another, like San Diego to Fort Lauderdale which stops at either Carteghena Columbia or one of the ABC islands which are considered 'distant'

Thank you. 

I see you were a CT. What branch? I was "IS".

To further dispel rumors that I am reading on my roll call,  Carnival announced in December it would be selling three ships. It immediately announced the sale of two Costa ships and now it is announcing the selling of the third ship, an Aida ship.   It does appear they are reducing their exposure to the European consumer market but it could be simply age, inefficiency and disrepair of the sold ships.  

I would not be surprised to hear that the next corporate action was more about consolidation and merger with reduction of staff and streamlining of offices and administration rather than fleet reductions. 

Edited by Mary229

• 10 months later...