Help....we totaled the car tonight, and we cruise in the morning.

blueskadoo

Hey everyone, 

It's been a crummy day.  The hubs got rear-ended tonight and it totaled his car. Luckily he's okay, just shook up. But…we're supposed to be cruising tomorrow. We see no way that we'll be able to board tomorrow with insurance claims and needing to see if he's physically okay. We were booked in a YC cabin for a 2 night cruise. Is there anything MSC will do to help us? We never used our "one free cruise change" but I know technically...its not 30 days out. He had a second booking for Sunday to extend the cruise (with a new booking number) and he's hoping to be able to go then. Will that cause any issues by not showing up tomorrow? I've reached out to my TA but not yet heard back. At least telling him he can still cruise Sunday might bring him a bit of joy. Appreciate any and all help. 

Do you have insurance? No cruise line will refund you no matter the circumstances the day before, people lie and give sob stories all the time. Not to say you are, but they have a policy in place. If you do not sail you will lose the money. You can try , but it will depend on the terms and conditions at the time you booked, this late the only thing you will get back is possibly the port fees and taxes. I hope he is ok. My husband was in an accident this week, he was.ok and same problem with the car needing to be fixed. Sorry this happened, but it is what it is.

Why not just go? I would imagine that a couple of days won’t make a big difference. Just let the insurance company know that you will be gone for two days. In fact, I just got off of a seven day cruise and was gone a total of two weeks in Europe, and while my car was not totaled, I do have an insurance claim pending during this period for water damage.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Why not just go? I would imagine that a couple of days won’t make a big difference. Just let the insurance company know that you will be gone for two days. In fact, I just got off of a seven day cruise and was gone a total of two weeks in Europe, and while my car was not totaled, I do have an insurance claim pending during this period for water damage.

Thinking the same.  Two separate issues.  Taking a cruise this weekend and our car was rear ended.  Your car is still going to be wrecked whether you take the cruise or not.  May as well take it.

If it’s the only car you have, take an Uber/Lyft?  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:22 AM, Stockjock said:

If her husband is injured, having gone on a cruise might make it very difficult to claim damages from the insurance company, since there will be no immediate documentation from a doctor, and in a trial, the insurance company can point to the vacation they took and not being stuck injured.  (Having been injured in a car accident, they try to go after everything to "prove" you weren't really injured, and it's BS)

3 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

If her husband is injured, having gone on a cruise might make it very difficult to claim damages from the insurance company, since there will be no immediate documentation from a doctor, and in a trial, the insurance company can point to the vacation they took and not being stuck injured.  (Having been injured in a car accident, they try to go after everything to "prove" you weren't really injured, and it's BS)

She did say he was "ok, just shook up a bit".  On a minor claim, I doubt they'd use a 2 day cruise against him, if they even knew about it (likely not).

I’m with @Stockjock and @graphicguy  you should go. A two night cruise isn’t going to change much. Email your car insurance company with a copy of the traffic report and pictures. Let them know you will be in touch when you return from your out-of-town engagement that can’t be postponed. Chances are no insurance adjuster would attend to your hubbie’s car right away anyway. 

Glad nobody was seriously injured. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

I thought they were getting off the cruise and getting on another one?

OP: Glad hubby is OK. I would wait until hubby gets up tomorrow before making a final decision.

Sometimes in events like a car accident you not feel certain aches and pains until after the event is 24 hours old.

Hoping for the best for hubby and you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I thought they were getting off the cruise and getting on another one?

OP: Glad hubby is OK. I would wait until hubby gets up tomorrow before making a final decision.

Sometimes in events like a car accident you not feel certain aches and pains until after the event is 24 hours old.

Hoping for the best for hubby and you.

Sometimes longer. I was rear ended back in 2007. Left arm and shoulder aches, nothing serious, so I thought. Exactly one week later, I couldn't walk without severe pain on my left hip. It turned out I had a fractured coccyx bone (tail bone) and syatica crap going on as a result. So you just never know what's going to happen. If the car was totaled, I'm guessing enough speed was involved that may or may not effect you.

• Thanks 1