“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

41 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

We love the breadsticks! They are best with lots of butter.  And on a galley tour we did see them being made and handrolled by the hundreds. Mystifying. 

It IS mystifying.  We have also seen them being made when we took a galley tour.  That doesn't mean a mix was not being used.  I think the breadsticks are just Ok.  Not really worth the calories for me and we have never tried them with butter.    

Edited by SLSD

Just now, SLSD said:

It IS mystifying.  We have also seen them being made when we took a galley tour.  That doesn't mean a mix was not being used.  I think the breadsticks are just Ok.  Not really worth the calories for me.  

It is April Fools Day here

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Presented without comment.

C1400142-4C08-48DD-B190-4468937BB93E.thumb.jpeg.9ef795e58880b8766b2f18f122787c75.jpeg

20+ replies to this April Fools joke incl. comments about cash flow issues. People on this forum need to lighten up. 

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

20+ replies to this April Fools joke incl. comments about cash flow issues. People on this forum need to lighten up. 

Point taken, but in fairness, more than one thing can be true at the same time - there are *some* people around here who can seem a little too apocalyptic, but after going 2+ years with essentially no income, it would be impossible for Seabourn NOT to have some cash flow issues.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Anyway, we are now heading to Padang, Sumatra.  After that call, there will be (gulp) 7 consecutive sea days, before we arrive in the Seychelles.

7 sea days, gulp is right. Perhaps you can use some of  that time to organize the Better Breadstick Brigade. I'd happily be your First Mate on that one. On second thought, maybe time would be better spent with the Magnificant Martini Makers group. 😁  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

……maybe time would be better spent with the Magnificant Martini Makers group. 😁  

Hey hpd (alright if I call you that?!) - a couple of days ago, on a sailaway from…somewhere 🤔….the Patio guys were walking around handing out “coconut lime martinis”.  (I’m pretty sure I remember that correctly, definitely coconut-something martinis).  If you’re a martini drinker (I’m not), is that a thing?  I’ve always read that a martini is, plain and simple, gin and vermouth.  Period.  And anything else (and surely there are wonderfully enjoyable variations in all directions)…if it’s not gin and vermouth, might be great but it’s just not a martini.  Like, a “vodka martini” is like saying a “vodka margarita” or a “rum Manhattan”.  I’m on the sidelines here, I await forthcoming wisdom…..😎

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

Hey hpd (alright if I call you that?!) - a couple of days ago, on a sailaway from…somewhere 🤔….the Patio guys were walking around handing out “coconut lime martinis”.  (I’m pretty sure I remember that correctly, definitely coconut-something martinis).  If you’re a martini drinker (I’m not), is that a thing?  I’ve always read that a martini is, plain and simple, gin and vermouth.  Period.  And anything else (and surely there are wonderfully enjoyable variations in all directions)…if it’s not gin and vermouth, might be great but it’s just not a martini.  Like, a “vodka martini” is like saying a “vodka margarita” or a “rum Manhattan”.  I’m on the sidelines here, I await forthcoming wisdom…..😎

You set me on a very fun course. I prefer the Churchill but it looks like you are mostly right - which makes me very happy. Of course, I never mind a lemon drop "martini": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini_(cocktail)

• Like 2

A friend once said his martini recipe was to do the gin/ice thing, strain into a chilled martini glass, and bring the glass close to the mouth and softly whisper “vermouth”.  I suspect this thread might be fun, going forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

hahaha, just looked it up.  The first hit I got was this:

4292865C-60E2-4A19-BBB3-FB49F358B4F6.jpeg.7a449fa34dd820a965ad7f94c3fb176d.jpeg

Does this mean you will be spending all of your time at the bar for the next seven days???

And for me, the breadsticks joke was a bit weak (not your fault of course).  There are probably only some regulars (and a handful at that) who cared...

Seriously, have a great week of sea days.  How do you plan to spend them?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shark b8 said:

I'm a bit of a Martini girl, it has been known.  There are different Martinis.  A french Martini for instance, not so keen on that one.  A Gibson, I enjoy one of those in TK.  

The number one for me is a Vesper Martini.  Rumour has it, it started in London when Ian Fleming walked into a bar there.  I made quite a habit of drinking them on the Pacific Voyage last year.  It is three parts Gin, 1 part Vodka, and Lillet (a french aperitif), with a twist of lemon.

I do remember someone on the other side of the Obs Bar asking the mixologist what he was making.  And he said "it's a Vesper Martini, probably the strongest drink I make up here".

Ooops, that was for me then!  

Edited by Mauzac
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

I should have gone to chefestelle’s link first….this is even better.  😂

80C8254D-27B9-445F-835B-591DE55304C8.thumb.jpeg.15903a71ccb5908c02e522340bfac07d.jpeg

I once bought a bottle of gin that had a wee bottle of vermouth attached to it. That's the one I glance at (it is unopened) when I pour my martini

• Like 4

…and for sailing-logistics geeks, I think this is the first time I remember seeing a tug actually “tug” us, with a line.  This tug pulled our stern into position so that we’re pointing toward the opening in the harbor.  Have frequently seen us do 180º or whatever to reposition of course, just can’t remember seeing a tug physically facilitate that with a line.

8C9939C2-B539-4FCD-84B4-2111F810E84C.thumb.jpeg.56c40d75ce25f43b59ad4ce42b7e0859.jpeg

• Like 7

18 hours ago, SLSD said:

Seriously, have a great week of sea days.  How do you plan to spend them?

Well, one thing I’d like to do is….try a Vesper martini.  🍸  (thanks, Mauzac and chefestelle).  We’re mostly bourbon-or-gin on-the-rocks people, not so much mixed drinks, but that sounds intriguing, just for the fun Ian Fleming/James Bond thing, if nothing else.   (Maybe we’ll combine drink recipes by glancing at a bottle of vermouth, too)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, shark b8 said:

What is a Martini? Might as well ask me how I feel about jeans in the dinning room.  Sure to start social media WWIII.  Heck I'll bite.  I feel that cocktail nomenclature has morphed and advanced with the addition of so many interesting flavor combinations. In the past each cocktail had it's own name. French 75, Avaition, Manhattan for example. Now, cocktail ingredient combinations are endless.  This is reflected cocktail menus everywhere.  They are sometimes broken down into sections: Martini, Manhattan, Margherita, for example.  I would refer to Gin and Vermouth as a Classic Martini. Love the Churchill designation.  I'm comfortable with establishments serving adult beverages calling something with gin or vodka and additional flavors a "Martini".  It informs me about the quantity I am likely to receive, that it will be shaken with ice, strained, and poured into a Martini or coupe glass. So when I see a Saketini or a Lychetini on a menu I have a good idea of what I should expect. 

Throughout our travels we have stumbled across bartenders with different skill set levels and have created some interesting cocktails with them. We then

get to name them, weeeee.  Whale Tail, International Waters, and Tikehau 47 are just a few. Not sure the rest of the world will know what they are.

So....Coconut Lime Martini, floating around tropical waters, sure, I might give one a go........just to be social. 😃

HPD

• Like 4