Seven Night Western Mediterranean Cruise (Symphony) - Any tips or advice?

Hello! 

We booked this cruise last night, and I'm a little nervous! I haven't cruised since Covid, and I've never done a European cruise. This one leaves from Barcelona at 6:00pm. Any tips on how to make embarking easier? What time would you suggest getting to the port? Any excursions that are a must-do? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

40 minutes ago, Stayinggolden83 said:

Hello! 

We booked this cruise last night, and I'm a little nervous! I haven't cruised since Covid, and I've never done a European cruise. This one leaves from Barcelona at 6:00pm. Any tips on how to make embarking easier? What time would you suggest getting to the port? Any excursions that are a must-do? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

We have always left the hotel around 11am, get to the port around 11:30 and are onboard by noon. Checking in is very quick as the boarding and checkin are done at both ends of the ship. There is a wine shop and liquor shop at the top of the escalator after you have gone through security and checkin. We have always bought a bottle or two of alcohol and there is no checking done after you leave the shops. The ship will already be 1/3 full as many board in Rome and do a seven night cruise with Barcelona being a port stop as well as a embarkation point. happy cruising

Edited by taglovestocruise

Barcelona is a great city to visit so add some time there before you board.  We arrived around 11 which was not busy at all.  Like any cruise things change each week but it is fun to eat in the morning, then we walk to Las Ramblas and buy fresh flowers at a stall.  Perhaps pick up some treats at the Mercado then head to the ship.

• Like 2

I live in Spain and have cruised the Western Med from Barcelona and Rome a few times. If you are only going to do this once I would recommend Rome in Limo for an excursion to Rome. For La Spezia I love going to Pisa but perhaps a Pisa and Florence combo excursion for architecture and history or Cinco Terre for scenic views (lots of walking typically). For Naples Sorrento is beautiful, Pompeii is impressive if you have never been but Herculaneum is more intact and gives you a better impression of what life was like. For Mallorca an excursion to Soller and Valldemosa would be good or just wander about in Palma city. If you get the chance to go to Monte Carlo from Marseille, do it, perhaps taking in the changing of the guard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi, one thing I would do for sure is go to Barcelona at least 3 days before your cruise. We did that in 2017 and just fell in love with the city. There is so much historical sights and culture to explore. Became one of our favorite cities. The farm/food market over by Las Ramblas was so neat to browse through. You won't regret going 3 days or more to Barcelona. And we noticed it was a very clean city. Hope this helps.Cheers, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I live in Spain and have cruised the Western Med from Barcelona and Rome a few times. If you are only going to do this once I would recommend Rome in Limo for an excursion to Rome. For La Spezia I love going to Pisa but perhaps a Pisa and Florence combo excursion for architecture and history or Cinco Terre for scenic views (lots of walking typically). For Naples Sorrento is beautiful, Pompeii is impressive if you have never been but Herculaneum is more intact and gives you a better impression of what life was like. For Mallorca an excursion to Soller and Valldemosa would be good or just wander about in Palma city. If you get the chance to go to Monte Carlo from Marseille, do it, perhaps taking in the changing of the guard.

Great advice.

I might add in you are looking for a beach day Palma is probably the best port to do it from.

We get a taxi from our hotel to the port to arrive about 10.30 and are normally on board by 11.00.

• Like 2

Okay, so I've never had to fly in for a cruise before - we've always just driven. I think the plane stuff is causing the bulk of my anxiety... 

Our original plan was to fly in from London that morning (the flight leaves at 7:00a, and we're in Barcelona by 10:00a). The cruise leaves at 6:00 pm. 

But I'm not sure how these small airlines run. Is that safe enough, or should I err on the side of caution and fly to Barcelona the night before? 

Which small airline?

Generally speaking, we are from the UK and have been to Barcelona many times so have no interest in staying in Barcelona before cruising from Barcelona.   Barcelona is the easiest of all the ports we have ever sailed from.  The Airport is just a few minutes in a taxi to the Cruise Port.  We have never had a problem flying in the same day.  There are literally dozens of taxis waiting outside the airport.  The fare to the Cruise Port is fixed (sorry I can't remember how much) but it is reasonable.

Same goes for the journey home after your cruise.  Taxis in abundance waiting to take you to  the airport when you disembark.  No need to pre book.

I would say though - if you have never been to Barcelona it would be nice to stay for a couple of days before your cruise.  There is plenty to see and do and Barcelona is a lovely city.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, livylotte said:

Which small airline?

Generally speaking, we are from the UK and have been to Barcelona many times so have no interest in staying in Barcelona before cruising from Barcelona.   Barcelona is the easiest of all the ports we have ever sailed from.  The Airport is just a few minutes in a taxi to the Cruise Port.  We have never had a problem flying in the same day.  There are literally dozens of taxis waiting outside the airport.  The fare to the Cruise Port is fixed (sorry I can't remember how much) but it is reasonable.

Same goes for the journey home after your cruise.  Taxis in abundance waiting to take you to  the airport when you disembark.  No need to pre book.

I would say though - if you have never been to Barcelona it would be nice to stay for a couple of days before your cruise.  There is plenty to see and do and Barcelona is a lovely city.

Thank you! I did a little more reading on Barcelona, and we're now going to come in the day before. We're looking at Vueling leaving from Gatwick. 

• 2 weeks later...

- Afternoon to all, Thank You for the information being posted here . We have an upcoming Cruise in September. We have done out of Rome before, and this will be My first time going out of Spain ! We are trying to plan coming in a few days early , as well as a few days after the Cruise. So I’m trying to soak up as much information as possible.      Thank You …                         J.L. & Bree 

On 1/9/2023 at 12:05 AM, Stayinggolden83 said:

Okay, so I've never had to fly in for a cruise before - we've always just driven. I think the plane stuff is causing the bulk of my anxiety... 

Our original plan was to fly in from London that morning (the flight leaves at 7:00a, and we're in Barcelona by 10:00a). The cruise leaves at 6:00 pm. 

But I'm not sure how these small airlines run. Is that safe enough, or should I err on the side of caution and fly to Barcelona the night before? 

I’ve caught the 0725 EasyJet flight from London Gatwick to Barcelona 4 times last year. The quickest I was on board the ship was 45 mins after touchdown 🛬!!  All other times I was onboard by noon. 
€39 fixed fare for cab 🚕 airport to port. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 12:05 AM, Stayinggolden83 said:

We've taken the 6am BA flight from Heathrow, morning of cruise a few times.  A risk,  but due to the Heathrow night jet ban,  the first flights of the day the planes are generally in place ready to go. 

• Like 1