Cherbourg options

ILoveScotland

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 11:08 AM, ILoveScotland said:

I'm looking for options for Cherbourg. I went to St. Michel and Normandy beaches last May so want something in or around Cherbourg.  I welcome all ideas.

We were there last spring. We walked the town and did the museum and aquarium. The submarine was amazing to tour! We had a lovely lunch in a small square and the kids ate the best strawberries they ever had in their entire life!

On 1/31/2023 at 4:50 AM, sarahwalker2007 said:

We were there last spring. We walked the town and did the museum and aquarium. The submarine was amazing to tour! We had a lovely lunch in a small square and the kids ate the best strawberries they ever had in their entire life!

Museum and Aquarium just accross from the quay (at least our HALship docked there). Our grandchildren, parents and we as grandparents loved it.

• 8 months later...

@ILoveScotland If you’ve already sailed could you please tell me what you decided to do? How was it? 

We will be there in the spring. We may just have a non excursion day and walk around the old town area. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays there is a farmers market with about 100 stalls in front of the main post office. 

On 1/8/2023 at 4:08 PM, ILoveScotland said:

I welcome all ideas.

You could consider visiting Bayeux, a very attractive medieval city with the world famous Bayeux Tapestry. around an hour or so by train.  Info and images will be found online which might tempt you.

And do look at the shorex being offered by your cruiseline even if you don't want to book one, as they give an idea of highlights of the area and what could be possibly in your timeline. 

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 4:28 AM, mawvkysc said:

@ILoveScotland If you’ve already sailed could you please tell me what you decided to do? How was it? 

We will be there in the spring. We may just have a non excursion day and walk around the old town area. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays there is a farmers market with about 100 stalls in front of the main post office. 

Cruise ship visits to Cherbourg are often only 1/2 day, so check that out - it could ruin plans.

The town isn't very attractive, but there's an excellent maritime complex & oceanarium close to your berth.

For a full day I'd recommend two options.....

The D-Day sights, especially if you're American - the American section beaches are much much closer to Cherbourg than Le Havre.

Nearest sight (only half-an-hour away) is Ste Mere Eglise, a small town a few miles inland, This had to be captured to protect the western flank of the beaches, and was taken by airborne troops, Excellent  Airborne museum in the Square, opposite the church where hangs an effigy of the paratrooper whose parachute got snagged on the church roof and he dangled from it during the battle (he survived). Needs 30 to 45 mins.

15-20 minutes away is Utah Beach - quite a featureless beach which was captured remarkably easily but an excellent museum. Needs an hour or more

Other sights depend on your time in port - Point du Hoc (worth 20 minutes minimum) is half an hour beyond Ste Mere Eglise and the American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach a further 20 minutes. Needs a bare minimum of an hour, preferably 2 or more.

If you have time, the German cemetery is just off your route back to Cherbourg. !0-15 minutes there will show the stark differences to the American cemetery.

You won't have time to visit the Canadian & UK beaches, which are further east. beyond 

You'd need a tour or a reasonably knowledgeable taxi driver or a rented car, but driving and parking area easy and navigation fine with a map or GPS.

Plan to include those places which fit your timetable, and visit in the opposite direction to my list - this allows you to foreshorten or skip sights closer to Cherbourg if you fall behind the clock.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2PbfGYE14sY4Q9xu7

Bayeux. Easy by direct train. Almost un-touched by the war, both sides tried to keep  this historic city out of the fighting. Super cathedral, and a short walk from the the famous Bayeux Tapestry which depicts the Battle of Hastings in 1066, the last successful invasion of Britain.

I'd advocate against Mont St Michel from Cherbourg - it's a boring two-hour bus ride each-way on featureless roads.

JB 🙂

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

We will be doing a ships tour (Sky Princess) to a cider/brandy producer followed by a pastry cafe that specializes in the food of Normandy. 

Normandy has a lot of regional food & drinks - that sounds like an interesting day.

Not the usual brandy distilled from grapes - that's further south in Cognac & Armagnac - but apple brandy Calvados (the farmyard stuff is fiery), cider (ditto), Pommard (mid-way between Calvados & cider). And pear brandies & liqueurs

Benedictine, a herbal liqueur.

Pork is big in Normandy, naturally-salted lamb, scallops & oysters & mussels, tripe (if you have a strong stomach 😮), soft cheeses like Camembert, Pont-Leveque, & Neufchatel,  glazed apple tart & apple-filled crepes.

Rough earthenware Calvados jugs make an excellent & inexpensive souvenir, provided that they survive the journey.

Gotta go now - I'm feeling hungry 😏

JB 🙂

• Like 3