Corkage Fee

MSPCUBS

I have searched this forum and the results I am getting are from a number of years ago.  So, I am posting this to see what the current rules are.  On the Celebrity website, it states that 2 bottles of wine can be brought for each adult.  It then says that a corkage fee will apply.  What would that fee be?

Does this fee apply if I am planning on drinking the wine in my cabin and not in the dining room?

Thank you.  I am new to Celebrity.

Edited by MSPCUBS
misspelling and wanting to add another question.

There is no corkage charged anywhere on the ship if you have a beverage package.

The current FAQs are silent, but Celebrity has never charged a corkage fee to bring wine onboard, or if consumed in your cabin. That used to be spelled out, but the old language is gone. Screening occurs before you check in, so there's no way for security to know if  you have a package, and there have been no reports of corkage charged for simply bringing a bottle onboard. If you don't have a package, there is a corkage fee if you bring a bottle to a public venue. Pouring a glass in your cabin and carrying it into the dining room doesn't create a corkage fee.

• Like 1

We were on the Solstice on the Dec. 11 cruise and ate at the Tuscan Grill the first night. I brought in a nice bottle of wine and was charged $35 corkage. I checked with Guest Relations and they confirmed it. I should have asked ... thought it was still $25. Lesson learned ... I won't be bringing any wine into any dining room ... that's excessive I my mind.

54 minutes ago, CounselorCruiser said:

We were on the Solstice on the Dec. 11 cruise and ate at the Tuscan Grill the first night. I brought in a nice bottle of wine and was charged $35 corkage. I checked with Guest Relations and they confirmed it. I should have asked ... thought it was still $25. Lesson learned ... I won't be bringing any wine into any dining room ... that's excessive I my mind.

Did you have an alcohol package?

Just now from their website:

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package. 

2 hours ago, CounselorCruiser said:

Did you have a drink package? If yes then you should not have been charged the corkage fee. As an fyi, you can bring a couple of very large glasses of wine into any dining room and not be charged corkage. You are only charged if you bring in a bottle and don’t have a drink package..

Edited by kathynorth

Bring onboard, consume in room or any public venue = no charge

Bring poured glass to any restaurant = no charge

Bring BOTTLE to a sit down restaurant with service = charged if you do not have an alcohol package already. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kayehall said:

2 questions.  Why not just carry a wine opener?  Why not buy a wine with a screw top?

Corkage isn’t a fee for opening the bottle. It theoretically partially replaces lost revenue since you didn’t purchase the bottle and covers ancillary expenses like glasses. Something of an archaic term. 

• Like 3

On our January Solstice cruise, we brought our 2 bottles  of special wines to Murano and paid $35 each for corkage. The sommelier chilled the white and decanted the cabernet in his special decanter. He was very nice and professional about this. We did not have the beverage package.

We also brought 2 bottles to MDR and paid $35 each for corkage, different sommelier, not as personable as in Murano. 

Also, if you do not finish the bottle, they will save it and bring it out at your next dinner no matter which dining venue you go to.

• Like 1