Off menu cocktails.

YensidCA

I love cocktails and I have not found many of my favorites on the menus. If I wanted to order one, how does the charge work? 

Here is an example. A Bourbon Sidecar

• Bourbon whiskey (could be Jim Beam which is in the Classic Package)
  • Cointreau (exists in the Premium Package)
  • Lemon juice

My guess is it would be $15 (like a Martini) due to having Cointreau in it and ignoring that I want the "cheap" booze.

Does anyone have insight on this?

We've ordered things not on the menu - example is an Aviation.  Only able to do it in Eden as it was the only bar that had maraschino liqueur (ordered an Aviation with Bombay Sapphire).  They basically charge you based on the call liquor.  So if your drink had Cointreau, it would be charged as premium.  If you wanted to sub a less expensive version (say well version of Cointreau - I'm guessing they've got some basic triple sec onboard) - they could do it as a classic too

Edited by ehall
  • Like 2

Most bartenders are happy to make you anything you want even if you have to give them the ingredient list.  I have found that often there is not an up charge unless you are calling for a premium primary alcohol.  Example I often asked for a splash of Grand Manier on top of a frozen margarita and was never charged.  Wife would often ask for a Kir-Royal using Chambord and wouldn't get charged extra....   I would guess at most the drink you mention might be a buck or two upcharge IF the bartender really wanted to charge you...    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeorgiaRetiredCruisers said:

We recently visited family in Italy and got hooked on the Spritz - a light drink of Aperol, Prosecco and Club Soda garnished with a big slab of orange slice.  Delicious!  I hope we'll be able to enjoy them on the Solstice in May.

Very common in Europe.  Should be easy.  If the bartender doesn't know how to make it then tell them how - when it is not busy.

2 hours ago, talljules1 said:

I really like Long Island Ice Tea. Never seen it on a menu on X, but discovered last year that they will make them for you.

I think Long Ice Tea was on the menu of the Sunset bar at one point.  I’m sure most bars can make one.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

It really depends on the bar and bartender. I love a good Manhattan, but only a couple of bars have real Luxardo cherries (if that) or a decent sweet vermouth. Craft Social had rye, for instance, but I think still crappy vermouth. Beam and a candied cherry isn’t a Manhattan!  

I think they’re generally better stocked for tropical drinks than classic cocktails. Kind of is what it is. But, if they’ve got the ingredients, they should make it. 

10 hours ago, GeorgiaRetiredCruisers said:

We recently visited family in Italy and got hooked on the Spritz - a light drink of Aperol, Prosecco and Club Soda garnished with a big slab of orange slice.  Delicious!  I hope we'll be able to enjoy them on the Solstice in May.

Yiu should try the limoncello spritz. Very popular when we stayed in Sorrento. 

12 hours ago, talljules1 said:

I really like Long Island Ice Tea. Never seen it on a menu on X, but discovered last year that they will make them for you.

I order Long Islands quite frequently.  I never thought to look at the drink menu to see if they were there. 

12 hours ago, talljules1 said:

This used to be our goto pre-drink packages (and back when we didn't make a lot of money) because it's def a bang for the buck type of drink. Pro tip: don't drink them in a hot tub lol

10 hours ago, markeb said:

It really depends on the bar and bartender. I love a good Manhattan, but only a couple of bars have real Luxardo cherries (if that) or a decent sweet vermouth. Craft Social had rye, for instance, but I think still crappy vermouth. Beam and a candied cherry isn’t a Manhattan!  

I think they’re generally better stocked for tropical drinks than classic cocktails. Kind of is what it is. But, if they’ve got the ingredients, they should make it. 

This is one thing I hope we can find on Celebrity (our first cruise on X is in a few weeks). On Virgin we found amazing bartenders who really knew their stuff. We got talking to one of the bartenders one night, and mentioned we like Cynar - the next day at their beach resort place he was there with a bottle of it making us drinks. 

10 hours ago, GeorgiaRetiredCruisers said:

Just for grins and giggle I've signed us up for the Mixology session.  I understand you get to drink full sized drinks...?

We made four full size drinks.  Keep in mind full size depends on what drink is being made. 
A mojito will be in a taller glass than an old fashioned.m