Seward to Anchorage in early May?

BCOS

We are booked on the Jewel sailing that ends in Seward on 5/8. I assume NCL will have a chartered transfer option to get us to Anchorage for our flight, but I can't get it to come up. 😕 It doesn't look like there are any regularly scheduled trains or buses for another week or two. I read a forum post by someone who had a rental car that they were going to take from Seward to Anchorage ($350ish for a 24-hour period to drop it off there), but I am struggling to find any rental car agencies in Seward. If they exist, they must not rent cars at that time.

Is there any way besides whatever NCL charters (bus? train?) to get to the Anchorage airport?

NCL will certainly have options to transfer from Seward to Anchorage.  Cruiselines do Alaska Rail Road chartered early morning train runs from the Seward cruise terminal directly to the Anchorage Airport (not the downtown ARR terminal) on ship days; this charter will not be listed on the ARR time

schedule as it is a special charter and can only be purchased through the cruise line.

The cruise lines also offer bus charters.

You will not be left outside the Seward cruise terminal.

Try booking the cruiseline train transfer option. This will need to be done directly with the cruiseline.

It will leave directly from the pier (usually around 7:30-8:00am) and will be a 124 mile narrated trip. More than likely your flight will have to be no earlier than 2:30pm from ANC cruise end day to participate. We've done this with RCI and it was an amazing train trip right into ANC for our flight home.

Another option is booking with a private bus service. We've done this also when having earlier flights from ANC. Check Alaska Cruise Transfer (ACT) large bus and very comfortable.

10 hours ago, BCOS said:

Is there any way besides whatever NCL charters (bus? train?) to get to the Anchorage airport?

Yes. Direct bus service will be operated by Alaska Cruise Transportation on May 8, 2023, direct from the Seward cruise vessel terminal to the airport in Anchorage.

As others have mentioned, Norwegian Cruise Line will also arrange for the transportation its passengers, by bus and/or train. With nearly all of its disembarking passengers requiring onward transportation to Anchorage, it would not be the case where the cruise line would strand thousands of its customers in Seward.

I'm on the cruise after you (leaving Seward May8) at this stage the only company I've found offering transfers is Alaska Cruise Transfer or airport transfer from NCL. I was hoping to take the train but it doesn't seem to be running that early in the season.

9 hours ago, TT81 said:

I'm on the cruise after you (leaving Seward May8) at this stage the only company I've found offering transfers is Alaska Cruise Transfer or airport transfer from NCL. I was hoping to take the train but it doesn't seem to be running that early in the season.

NCL isn't offering their cruise train transfer from ANC to Seward day of cruise ??

A bit surprised as we've used the train transfer with RCI early May from Seward to ANC. Hope you called NCL directly to check this out.

Edited by Ashland

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

NCL isn't offering their cruise train transfer from ANC to Seward day of cruise ??

A bit surprised as we've used the train transfer with RCI early May from Seward to ANC. Hope you called NCL directly to check this out.

I asked on the chat feature and was told at this stage they are still finalizing excursions with local providers, so it may still be added but at this point its not an option

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 11:01 PM, Ashland said:

We've done this with RCI and it was an amazing train trip right into ANC for our flight home.

Do they charter the DOME car or just the coach part.  I am looking at the NCL excursion and cant identify, nor could the NCL rep really identify if the chartered trips are in the dome cars of just in coach.  

On 1/31/2023 at 5:51 PM, greatestvalue said:

Do they charter the DOME car or just the coach part.  I am looking at the NCL excursion and cant identify, nor could the NCL rep really identify if the chartered trips are in the dome cars of just in coach.  

The cars that comprise the chartered train are all single level, single class, Panorama Dome cars. In effect, the answer to your question is really "both," meaning that these are coach cars, either former Canadian National coaches from the 1950s re-manufactured with the roof and upper sides replaced with glass, or newer Colorado Railcar coaches from the 2000s originally manufactured with the roof and upper sides consisting of glass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

So everyone will have the "Gold Dome" experience, without an included meal, with the NCL chartered train. Am I understanding?

Almost, but not quite. The term "Gold," or more completely, "GoldStar Service," is used as a marketing term by the Alaska Railroad to denote first class service. On the train between Seward and the Anchorage airport, there is no first class service, and thus no "GoldStar Service." Instead, everyone travels in coach. But all the coach seats are in Panorama Dome cars. So you get both a "dome" car as well as a "coach" car. But no "Gold," nor does "Gold" have anything to do with the dome ceiling. Does that make sense? It can be a bit confusing because there are many passenger trains in Alaska, and the same types of terms are used for many, and sometimes misused. Below I have a picture of a typical car interior (prior to the car having been refurbished), which shows the dome effect. Seats are fixed with tables between, so half the passengers will be facing backwards. This a single level car; note that there is no overhead parcel rack, so anything you bring on the train will need to be stored on the floor below the seats. Below the photograph is a video that shows the train in greater detail. (The video mistakenly refers to the train as the "Coastal Classic," which is actually a different train, though it operates on the most of the same route as the Cruise Train.) Hopefully this explanation helps to clear up the situation!

windows.jpg

• Like 2

My group of 12 will also disembark in Seward on 5/8 NCL. I am not able to get a straight answer regarding a transfer to Anchorage that day from NCL. I want to confirm that we will have to buy our own transfers via bus or rental car. The train supposedly doesn't run until May 13.

Edited by bkandy1317

13 hours ago, GTJ said:

The cars that comprise the chartered train are all single level, single class, Panorama Dome cars. In effect, the answer to your question is really "both," meaning that these are coach cars, either former Canadian National coaches from the 1950s re-manufactured with the roof and upper sides replaced with glass, or newer Colorado Railcar coaches from the 2000s originally manufactured with the roof and upper sides consisting of glass.

Times and Cruise/RR contracts change - - -

File photo NCL JEWEL September 2019 - NCL contract train having arrived Seward

Note one single Gold Star DOME car in the middle of the Push-Pull consist {?}

DSC09277.thumb.JPG.70924b9c29c69c16c243c60e4edf1b9e.JPG

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Times and Cruise/RR contracts change - - -

File photo NCL JEWEL September 2019 - NCL contract train having arrived Seward

Note one single Gold Star DOME car in the middle of the Push-Pull consist {?}

Most likely not. That higher height car is likely no. 351, a former Chicago and North Western bi-level gallery car, originally configured as lounge-buffet for use on its long-distance trains. For a while it was the Tiki railbar used on the Florida Fun Train. CF-351.jpg

tiki.jpg

cnw-cd0903goa.jpg

Thanks to all who replied above. Now I have a new question! 🙂

We arrive in Seward on Monday,  May 8. There is bus service to Anchorage that day, but no train service that early in the season (as far as I can tell). Our flight home is on Friday. I had planned for us to rent a Turo vehicle and spend a couple of days in Seward prior to taking the bus to Anchorage and finding things to do / see from there on Wed - Fri.

However... I just realized that Monday is the only day that week that has bus service to Anchorage. We can opt to take the 2:30 p.m. bus, which will give us a few hours to check out Seward, but before securing those tickets I wanted to make sure I'm not missing other options.

Also, should we end up needing to head on to Anchorage on Monday, what might we consider doing Tuesday - Friday afternoon?

TIA!

15 hours ago, BCOS said:

We arrive in Seward on Monday,  May 8. There is bus service to Anchorage that day, but no train service that early in the season (as far as I can tell). Our flight home is on Friday. I had planned for us to rent a Turo vehicle and spend a couple of days in Seward prior to taking the bus to Anchorage and finding things to do / see from there on Wed - Fri.

However... I just realized that Monday is the only day that week that has bus service to Anchorage. We can opt to take the 2:30 p.m. bus, which will give us a few hours to check out Seward, but before securing those tickets I wanted to make sure I'm not missing other options.

There is one other option. Seward Bus Line operates bus service year round between Seward and Anchorage. It departs Seward at 9:30 a.m. The company receives mixed reviews, but it could meet your requirements. http://www.sewardbuslines.net

On 2/7/2023 at 1:30 PM, GTJ said:

There is one other option. Seward Bus Line operates bus service year round between Seward and Anchorage. It departs Seward at 9:30 a.m. The company receives mixed reviews, but it could meet your requirements. http://www.sewardbuslines.net

Thank you! Very helpful. I have ditched the idea of renting a vehicle in Seward.

So at this point, assuming debarkation at 8:00 a.m., our options are:

• Spend about 6 hours in Seward, taking the Monday afternoon 2:30 Alaska Cruise Transfer bus
  • Spend about 24 hours in Seward, taking the Tuesday morning 9:30 Seward Bus Lines bus

Is 6 hours a sufficient amount of time to spend take in the sights of Seward itself if we don't plan to rent a car or take any paid excursions?  

Edited by BCOS

On 2/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, BCOS said:

Thank you! Very helpful. I have ditched the idea of renting a vehicle in Seward.

So at this point, assuming debarkation at 8:00 a.m., our options are:

• Spend about 6 hours in Seward, taking the Monday afternoon 2:30 Alaska Cruise Transfer bus
  • Spend about 24 hours in Seward, taking the Tuesday morning 9:30 Seward Bus Lines bus

Is 6 hours a sufficient amount of time to spend take in the sights of Seward itself if we don't plan to rent a car or take any paid excursions?  

It would be so sad if you didn't enjoy at least ONE tour out of Seward when you arrive.  The appeal of Seward is what you can do FROM there, like a dog sled/glacier/city tour (Ididaride) or visit the Kenai Fjords National Park (unsure of their schedules so early, Major Marine or Kenai Fjords Tours), which normally start late morning.  I would at least spend the night.  I would say that with the Sea Life Center and NOT doing a tour or longer thing, you MIGHT be able to fill 6 hours, but I would feel like you would be missing the point.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi BCOS, I am taking on the Norwegian Jewel from Seward on May 8. We will be coming from Anchorage. If you would like to split a car rental (we need it from ANC to Seward and you need the opposite), I would be happy to meet up with you when you disembark on the 8th and hand it off. We are a group of 6, so it would likely be a minivan. I’d pick it up at ANC airport on 5/6 and you can return it on 5/12 at ANC. I believe there is a Thrifty car rental location in Seward, so we could add you as an additional driver there. Could be a savings for both of us and you’d have a car for your entire stay and wouldn’t have to deal with bus and then renting a car in ANC separately.  Respond back if interested. 

Total cost including insurance is about $1750. We could split it 50/50.