Volendam Neptune Suites

DaveOKC

Booking a Neptune suite on the Volendam to Alaska.  Can take either 7002. 7004 or a guarantee. 

Since half of the SA Neptunes are under the pool area, I was thinking of just staying with the two SB (7002 or 7004) ones and marking the reservation Do Not Upgrade.

Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I never like the risks with a guarantee so I would take 7002 or 7004 and mark No Upgrade.  The only disadvantage is the distance from the Neptune Lounge.  But that's no big deal.

Thanks, this is my thinking as well.  I will miss being close to the Lounge, but these two cabins are right by the forward elevator, so that will help with the walking overall.  

Any one else have thoughts on this?

Have a GTY SB booked for two upcoming Zaandam cruises. Have done it in the past (ended up with 016 on one cruise, don't remember the cabin number on the other, but it was pretty close to midship). No noise problems. 

If you are booking an SB GTY, not sure what you would be "upgraded" to.

We always choose being close to the Neptune Lounge - and loved our Volendam Neptune which was only a few doors away. Many times have been under the Lido deck and pool area, but never bothered by daytime noise - besides some occasional chair scraping, then they do late afternoon clean up.  One Neptune complaint came from being under the ping-pong table - watch out for that one.

The pool area is typically not used during the times one wants quiet in the cabin - absent a NYE celebration!

We had aft Neptunes for Alaska and Panama Canal on Oosterdam and Noordam and for the view these are the best. Only drawback is that some of the NS communication didn't make it back to our end. Volendam is so small the trip to the lounge would not be that far. 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have a GTY SB booked for two upcoming Zaandam cruises. Have done it in the past (ended up with 016 on one cruise, don't remember the cabin number on the other, but it was pretty close to midship). No noise problems. 

If you are booking an SB GTY, not sure what you would be "upgraded" to.

Can go to SA - which can be a handicap cabin or under the pool area (see comment on ping pong table).  My thought is to be safe than sorry.

I'd go with 7002, I had that room on Statendam and loved it. It is tucked around the corner from the stairway, and a quick sprint up the stairs to the Lido. Also, the Neptune isn't that far away. I agree about the ping pong cabin, I've had one of those.

1 hour ago, KAKcruiser said:

Another reason not to take a guarantee is that there is one handicapped Neptune Suite which I would not like.

Just curious why you say this?  It is something you experienced first hand?

There is only one Neptune Suite on Volendam that is Handicapped.  7034 is it, you won't get it unless you can prove you need accessibility or you do guarantee and it is the last room, even then you could be up or down graded if someone that needs accessibility books a cruise.  7034 has a slightly narrower deck than most other Neptunes.

I travel with my disabled wife.  Most times the benefits of being in an accessible room far outweigh the negatives.  In fact on the N.S. the ambulatory room we have has a much larger veranda AND is a slightly larger room. 

I have had walk in showers installed in my last couple of homes.  Awesome... they should be required by code on all new homes.  So many advantages.  I can literally hose down my bathroom.

I have seen pictures of handicapped suites on some of the older ships.  The bathrooms are set up for someone who needs them.  If you don't need it, it is inconvenient to have a shower splashing all over.  Also there is generally not as much furniture in the stateroom.  And in some, the ramp to get to the verandah is harder to navigate if you don't need it.  I am sure it would be wonderful for someone who needed a handicapped room but I personally would not like to be assigned there.

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Booking a Neptune suite on the Volendam to Alaska.  Can take either 7002. 7004 or a guarantee. 

Since half of the SA Neptunes are under the pool area, I was thinking of just staying with the two SB (7002 or 7004) ones and marking the reservation Do Not Upgrade.

Any thoughts?

We stayed in 2004 on the Volendam for our 28 day Amazon Explorer cruise in Nov. 2019.  I jumped at the chance to book it for our 50th wedding anniversary!  2004 and 2002 are under the beauty salon and were very quiet.  It wasn't that far from the Neptune Lounge.

41 minutes ago, Loreto said:

We stayed in 2004 on the Volendam for our 28 day Amazon Explorer cruise in Nov. 2019.  I jumped at the chance to book it for our 50th wedding anniversary!  2004 and 2002 are under the beauty salon and were very quiet.  It wasn't that far from the Neptune Lounge.

2004 and 2002 are not Neptune Suites, and are nowhere near the Neptune Lounge.

1 hour ago, Loreto said:

I suspect that you mean 7002 and 7004 Loreta.

6 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I have seen pictures of handicapped suites on some of the older ships.  The bathrooms are set up for someone who needs them.  If you don't need it, it is inconvenient to have a shower splashing all over.  Also there is generally not as much furniture in the stateroom.  And in some, the ramp to get to the verandah is harder to navigate if you don't need it.  I am sure it would be wonderful for someone who needed a handicapped room but I personally would not like to be assigned there.

There is no such thing as something harder to navigate or inconvenient because it is accessible.   I don't need a 15' ramp at my front step, but almost everyone, including my disabled wife, agrees it is pretty handy.   No one claims my walk in steam shower is inconvenient either.   Rather they are jealous.

You can't get an accessible room or even request one, without lying about a disability.  HAL'S policy and be prepared to get bumped if you are not disabled and book one.

I dont have any issue with splashing water in a bathroom, by definition its wet.   I rarely even use my shower or bath on cruises.   Most of my bathing is done in the spa, but it is odd to think that an accessible room is somehow inconvenient.

Only sometimes is there less furniture.   Most of the time there is more room.

How often have you been in an accessible room?

Edited by bdd123

Why do you want to argue about this?  My opinion is that I don't want an accessible room.  I have explained my reasons.  You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.  And yes, I have been in an accessible room with someone who needed it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Why do you want to argue about this?  My opinion is that I don't want an accessible room.  I have explained my reasons.  You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.  And yes, I have been in an accessible room with someone who needed it.

My statements were fact, not opinion just letting others know that these rooms are convenient.  If you want a suite and it is the last available, they are not undesirable or inconvenient.

So yeah, we disagree, but I was not "wanting and argument", sorry.

Edited by bdd123

22 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

2004 and 2002 are not Neptune Suites, and are nowhere near the Neptune Lounge.

Oops!  I stand corrected, CruiserBruce, as you seem to relish pointing out people's mistakes🙁.  It was 7004, it was a quiet Neptune Suite and it was not that far from the Neptune Lounge.  We were treated wonderfully by Anika the concierge, whose email address I still have.  

Thank you for coming to my defense, colbe🙂!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2023 at 6:31 AM, DaveOKC said:

Any thoughts?

When are going in August?  We are going on Aug. 2 and our inlaws booked a Neptune suite.