Gem 1/11/2023, NYC to Bermuda

Mlake09

Thanks everyone for following along! We had an easy early morning on the ship, with breakfast in the MDR and then a brisk walk on the top deck while we waited to get off the ship. There was no line to disembark and we found our bags easily.  We grabbed a cab to the Moynihan Train station, but interestingly, none of the cab drivers seemed to be turning on their fare counters. Instead they were just quoting prices and calling out to us. The first driver asked for $40, and we ultimately went with the $25 driver.  That was about the price we paid prior to the cruise so we went with it.  We had a bit of a wait until our train arrived but we went through our photos and caught up on emails, etc. We’re cruising on the Getaway in February and will look forward to doing another update then!

Also, I saw another person mentioned the $102 that appeared on Saturday- we received that too, but weren’t sure why.  Was it ever clarified? Is it in addition to the $50 for missing the overnight? Or was it due to the waves and poor weather? Who knows! We did collect that money before we left, which felt like a win!

10 minutes ago, Mlake09 said:

The first driver asked for $40, and we ultimately went with the $25 driver.  That was about the price we paid prior to the cruise so we went with it.

Lawbreaking thieves.

They don't want to do those short trips. the metered fare including a reasonable 20% tip should be under $20 in average traffic conditions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mlake09 said:

Thanks everyone for following along!

Thank YOU for taking the time to share your cruise with us.  Sorry about the weather, but you made the best of it!

37 minutes ago, Mlake09 said:

We grabbed a cab to the Moynihan Train station, but interestingly, none of the cab drivers seemed to be turning on their fare counters. Instead they were just quoting prices and calling out to us.

Illegal not to turn on the meter.   Sheesh.

I just read on the Royal Gazette, Bermuda's Newspaper that Delta and AA turned around at the airport in Bermuda Saturday. AA circled hoping for clearance and then flew back To Boston, they didn't have the fuel to land in JFK. My daughter, son in law and children live in Bermuda and have mentioned the gale force winds turning planes around in the winter. Flights are not cheap, and many airlines don't fly in the winter. We were just there for the New Year, love Bermuda!

• Like 1

The more bad weather stories I hear the more I'm regretting my Feb. 1st cruise to Bermuda on the Getaway.  Before I booked I read all the forums which said the temp should be in the 60's and pretty comfortable for doing land excursions.  No one mentioned wind and rough seas.  I had just been to the ABC and other islands on a 14 day Princess cruise and had great weather at all ports so I just wanted a short trip out of NY to break up the winter.  I guess I'm just naive and realize that weather can be bad anywhere during the winter. 

17 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Thanks for the ride along!

Are you doing one of 12-day eastern Caribbean trips?  I'll be on the 2/26 sailing... 

I wish- we are doing an 8 day that fits into my school break! It goes from NYC to Orlando to GSC to Bermuda to NYC. At this time, Bermuda is listed as a port of call, but it was cancelled in November and then reinstated so we’ll see! Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mlake09 said:

Also, I saw another person mentioned the $102 that appeared on Saturday- we received that too, but weren’t sure why.  Was it ever clarified? Is it in addition to the $50 for missing the overnight? Or was it due to the waves and poor weather? Who knows! We did collect that money before we left, which felt like a win!

Leo, the Concierge, mentioned the $102 during the Suite/Haven disembarkation talk. He was rather vague but referenced “the inconvenience.” Then he promptly bridged into how to use a credit voucher he had handily available in case you wanted to use the credit balance toward gratuities, especially for those folks like himself not covered by pre-paid DSCs. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

The more bad weather stories I hear the more I'm regretting my Feb. 1st cruise to Bermuda on the Getaway.  Before I booked I read all the forums which said the temp should be in the 60's and pretty comfortable for doing land excursions.  No one mentioned wind and rough seas.  I had just been to the ABC and other islands on a 14 day Princess cruise and had great weather at all ports so I just wanted a short trip out of NY to break up the winter.  I guess I'm just naive and realize that weather can be bad anywhere during the winter. 

I hope you have a great cruise. If it helps, we’ve cruised out of NYC a number of times in December, January, and February, and it’s not always this bad. Typically we go south to Florida or GSC or Nassau (unless we get a longer school break, then we try to squeeze in a longer trip) and the sea days aren’t always so rough. We did a short 4 day to Bermuda in November and had one sea day that was terrible, similar to this trip, and one that was much nicer. Bermuda’s weather is mostly warm (compared to New England!) and temperate all year, and it’s common for the winter to be in the 60’s. I think the sea conditions are typically smoother in the summer months but I’m definitely not an expert (we did have lovely sea days when we did Bermuda in August and October). I think it’s worth a shot if you’re looking for a quick getaway! 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Just now, lgrover said:

I have been to Bermuda in February and it was 70 degrees.  Massages were  50 per cent off on the island. Had massage at Tuckers Point. Lunch at their pool and swam in their pool!

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:32 PM, pookel said:

I asked this on Facebook, someone on board asked the pool attendant, and the answer was YES the pool is heated. I'm guessing people don't think it's heated because it's not kept "warm" but just at a reasonable swimming temperature. 

When I was on the Breakaway at the end of October/early November to Canada, you could see the steam/vapor coming from the pool.

On 1/16/2023 at 2:52 PM, CazualCruzer said:

Honestly, it is the last place I'd except to find them, too. I've traveled over 5 million miles and hit 120 countries, and never encountered a bed bug. This was a first - and I hope last - for me!

Hopefully you checked you checked your luggage to make sure you didn't bring them home with you?

4 hours ago, tweetylori said:

Hopefully you checked you checked your luggage to make sure you didn't bring them home with you?

The luggage has remained in the garage, where it'll stay for quite some time! TMI, but we also stripped in the garage and later bagged up all the clothing. Hopefully the little buggers didn't sneak in through other means!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CazualCruzer said:

The luggage has remained in the garage, where it'll stay for quite some time! TMI, but we also stripped in the garage and later bagged up all the clothing. Hopefully the little buggers didn't sneak in through other means!

Forgot to ask-what was your stateroom number?