Live from Constellation January 13-23, 2023

BermudaBound2014

43 minutes ago, marvelous35 said:

I do have one quick thought:  per the figures provided, this ship was about 75% full.  It is possible some of the cutbacks are a result of not being closer to full capacity.  But it is perplexing that prime rib and beef tenderloin was not on the dinner menus since they are on Royal Caribbean menus and Celebrity is supposed to be more upscale.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this to be the case. According to Nelson, there was a big pow-wow meeting held at the end of December announcing these cuts across the entire fleet. The managers were shocked. I think those working onboard are embarrassed, but that was just my read.  It would not surprise me to see Beef tenderloin and Prime removed from Royal eventually also (and others).

RCL has 20 Billion in debt and cruises are still not filling. Before the pandemic they carried only 8.5 Billion in debt. If they return to 2019 passenger counts they will barely turn enough to pay interest only debt. I believe the last round was 11%. They are still in the process of going farther into debt every quarter.

But it's bleak for the entire industry. That's why I recommend everyone stay flexible. I don't believe that these are the last of the cuts and I also believe every single cruise line will be cutting more the first half of 2023. Not one of the mainstream lines have turned profitable yet, and as mentioned, the debt continues to pile.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately, I don't believe this to be the case. According to Nelson, there was a big pow-wow meeting held at the end of December announcing these cuts across the entire fleet. The managers were shocked. I think those working onboard are embarrassed, but that was just my read.  It would not surprise me to see Beef tenderloin and Prime removed from Royal eventually also (and others).

RCL has 20 Billion in debt and cruises are still not filling. Before the pandemic they carried only 8.5 Billion in debt. If they return to 2019 passenger counts they will barely turn enough to pay interest only debt. I believe the last round was 11%. They are still in the process of going farther into debt every quarter.

But it's bleak for the entire industry. That's why I recommend everyone stay flexible. I don't believe that these are the last of the cuts and I also believe every single cruise line will be cutting more the first half of 2023. Not one of the mainstream lines have turned profitable yet, and as mentioned, the debt continues to pile.

Just to be clear, I am saying there could have been additional cuts due only being 75% of capacity.  I know each ship tracks the revenue and expenditure real time for each cruise so they can make adjustments.

48 minutes ago, marvelous35 said:

Just to be clear, I am saying there could have been additional cuts due only being 75% of capacity.  I know each ship tracks the revenue and expenditure real time for each cruise so they can make adjustments.

I still don't believe so, but I would like to be wrong about this.

Question about Puerto Plata...since you're knowledgeable about that port.  We'll be there on Christmas day this year...granted it's on RCI not CCL 😉...will anything actually be open???  Just wanted to get your thoughts.

19 hours ago, Gaynors said:

Question about Puerto Plata...since you're knowledgeable about that port.  We'll be there on Christmas day this year...granted it's on RCI not CCL 😉...will anything actually be open???  Just wanted to get your thoughts.

I've never been there at Christmas time. The island is largely Christian. Have you tried the trip advisor forum specific to Puerta Plata? I think you will be able to get your question answered there. Sorry I wasn't much help

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, marvelous35 said:

I doubt it.  They either have the prime rib on board or they don't.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I doubt it.  They either have the prime rib on board or they don't.

I agree---also it was our impression on the Edge earlier this month that the crew were not happy and as BermundaBound2 said---embarrassed by the cutbacks. The question for us is what cutbacks are deal breakers--something everyone has to decide for themselves but it is disturbing to go expecting a certain level of service and find out that is no longer the case once onboard.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hold the press!!! I did another circle around the buffet looking for soup (didn’t find any), but look what I did find!!! 

C101CC9D-4816-4A46-B095-C5C27EA933CA.jpeg

I’m only up to this far, but I was hoping by the time you finish, you’ll be finding that both sides of the lunch buffet are not identical!

I am so happy to have found you, even though I’m late to the party. We are boarding the Connie on March 17th and our 51 y.o. son is joining us for the first time. He found your thread!

This is so much fun! Even two months later.

• Thanks 1

Dear BB2014:

I shall echo everyone else to thank you for this wonderful trip report. I hope you’re having an outstanding winter in Maui.

While I have never eaten dinner at a buffet on any of my 20 Celebrity cruises, I have on occasion had a pre-dinner drink aft outside of the OVC at the Sunset Bar. There’s music part of the time and often a worthwhile sunset. Now I might go back up there after the show to have a mudslide outside. You’ve helped so many of us see new options! The responding posters have done the same. It makes me think the CC gang here on this thread was similar to the group of guests you enjoyed meeting on the Connie!

I am thrilled that the Connie crew and staff have maintained their stellar and much-loved service vibe.

Your final review of random photos practically brought a lump to my throat. 

Stay well, everybody.

—May B Muriel

PS: Go Blue

Edited by May B

On 1/24/2023 at 9:54 PM, Gaynors said:

Hi Mary,

Connie is a gem!! I’m sending you lots of aloha energy that you have a wonderful trip (but I can’t imagine any reason you won’t). 

Thank you for the kind words- I suspect you are my people. Hope we meet on a cruise one day!!

Maui remains spectacular. I was hanging out with a humpback whale yesterday. I can’t believe this is my life….

F47F66BC-A0DD-4583-8AE2-FF742B7EA1F8.jpeg

• Like 5

On 3/13/2023 at 3:21 PM, Bo1331 said:

We’re on the Connie leaving this Friday from Tampa.  Any info on the basic Wi-Fi service we’ll get in Aqua Class.

I believe that Connie got Starlink since I've sailed. You should pose this question to someone who has been been on in the last couple weeks to see if Starlink improved basic. Otherwise, basic is useless.  

Bermudabound2014,

Thank you so much for your review. Hopefully you have encouraged everyone to love my homeport of Tampa as much as we do. Yes we do have fog and when we do it is HEAVY.

Many don't like our 2 hour, 15 minute sailaway but we love it.

And thank you for all of the info about "Connie", she will be our first Celebrity ship when we board her on Good Friday. 

If we love her as much as our other Tampa ships I am sure we will be Beck again.

• Like 1