Live from Constellation January 13-23, 2023

BermudaBound2014

Thank you so much for such a great review! We are booked on the Constellation for a B2B including a transatlantic for Oct/Nov and seriously reconsidering. We love the itinerary which is the reason we booked it but just came back from 11 nights on the Edge and really disappointed in Ocean View evening buffet. On a long trip we like to eat there and have the healthy choices of grilled to order so unless this changes we may cancel. 

Based on your review I assume the bed is comfortable? Since the cabins have not be refurbed that has been a concern too----we did a transatlantic on Royal a few years ago -- the ship was due for a refurb and the bed was so soft it was miserable despite all efforts by the cabin steward to remedy the situation. It has made us very wary of ships that are due to be refurbed. Not crazy about the shower curtain either but can live with that if I can get a good night's sleep.                                                                   Thanks again for all the great info----glad you are enjoying your cruise!

Cliff notes: Zeus to the rescue. 

Brace: I’m here to deliver another pretty substantial blow. You don’t need to tuck your head between your legs  or anything that dramatic, but you may want to brace yourself. This one cuts deep because it was my work around for the limited buffet.

I finished the game up on the rooftop and headed back to my room. It was after 8:00 pm and I had been soaking up the salty air since 8:00 am. I didn’t have enough energy/motivation to put on my walking shoes and do a few laps let alone take on the task of a shower, make up, heels, and patience (not to mention the challenge of squeezing my  day 8 cruise body into my day 1 fancy LBD.) 

I had a brilliant idea!!! Just brilliant. Sometimes I amaze myself.  I could order room service and have formal night dinner delivered to the room for $9.95 (plus gratuity).  I was thrilled at my cunning solution to my laziness. Lamb chops on the balcony in my pjs. Sounds like a great plan, right?

Wrong. 

Room service only delivers items from the limited room service menu. I pleaded my case pretty strongly. Reminded the kind man that I could order from the dining room last trip, discussed that I wasn’t up for a long evening in the dining room and wanted to just relax on my balcony, explained that the buffet is very limit. Didn’t matter. Nothing worked They no long deliver anything that isn’t listed on room service menu. Period. 

For the first time this cruise I was genuinely disappointed. I feel like celebrity keeps missing easy solutions to the cutbacks which wouldn’t cost much, nor take much effort. In my case, they missed an actual revenue generator.

Those of us who don’t want to do the formal dance could pay $9.95 for the privilege of eating MDR food, in the attire of our choice, in the comforts of our stateroom. Celebrity gets $10 and we get to avoid the long, drawn out, experience which is typical of a MDR. Nope. Not happening.

I took that irritating lil piece of information and turned it into some positive motivation to slap on a hoodie, change into my tennis shoes, and meet my 7 mile a day goal by doing laps on 11. According to my Fitbit I even got in 44 minutes of hard cardio. Sometimes that happens when I’m ticked. Sometimes I eat chocolate cake instead. 

After I crushed it,  I marched my somewhat sweaty, shorts wearing, pony tail, no make up, hoodie girl self into the buffet. My plan was to make up something easy to take back to the cabin and call it a night. I was disappointing. Tonight’s buffet was especially lame and I was getting hangry. 

And then I met Zeus, almighty God of the oceanview cafe. Otherwise known as the mAitreD. 

I was taking photos of the buffet and two “higher ups” were standing close. I asked if the veal was the same veal being served in the MDR this evening. One of the men (later identified as Zeus-God it the Oceanview Cafe) reminded me that veal wasn’t on tonight’s menu. At which time I remembered it was lamb not veal and said I was disappointed I could not order room service off the MDR menu. I explained I tried to order the lamb to be delivered, but was shot down. He apologized for the change in policy and INSISTED I allow him to fetch Lamb from the MDR for me. 

I tried to refuse. I really don’t like special treatment, nor do I need to be fussed over but Zeus wasn’t taking no for an answer. He did ask that I “shhhhh” so I sat outside at the sunset bar which was practically empty. It took a few minutes but Nelson (one of my favorite workers in the ocean view cafe) appeared with the goods. The golden Lamb, and boy was it melt in your mouth fabulous. 

So my disappointment was made whole by excellent staff who truly went the extra mile. Again.

Here I sit, Eating delicious lamp chops, in my completely inappropriate chic night attire, while sitting outside at the sunset grill, sipping sangria and enjoying a cool ocean breeze and a star filled sky. Couldn’t make this up if I tried. 

Not going to lie, still a bit disappointed in the decision to limit room service, but the night was saved and this is yet another example of why I believe crew trumps food. 

1FED723A-774A-4619-AE13-B543A0D1E5CF.jpeg

F61CE94B-6F5A-4104-980B-8F47BCA88829.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Brace: I’m here to deliver another pretty substantial blow. You don’t need to tuck your head between your legs  or anything so dramatic, but you may want to brace yourself. This one cuts deep……

I finished the game up on the rooftop and headed back to my room. It was after 8:00 pm and I had been soaking up the salty air since 8:00 am. I didn’t have enough energy/motivation to put on my walking shoes and do a few laps let alone take on the task of a shower, make up, heels, and patience (not to mention the challenge of squeezing my  day 8 cruise body into my day 1 fancy LBD.) 

I had a brilliant idea!!! Just brilliant. Sometimes I amaze myself.  I could order room service and have formal night dinner delivered to the room for $9.95 (plus gratuity).  I was thrilled at my cunning solution to my laziness. Lamb chops on the balcony in my pjs. Sounds like a great plan, right?

Wrong. 

Room service only delivers items from the limited room service menu. I pleaded my case pretty strongly. Reminded the kind man that I could order from the dining room last trip, discussed that I wasn’t up for a long evening in the dining room and wanted to just relax on my balcony, explained that the buffet is very limit. Didn’t matter. Nothing worked They no long deliver anything that isn’t listed on room service menu. Period. 

For the first time this cruise I was genuinely disappointed. I feel like celebrity keeps missing easy solutions to the cutbacks which wouldn’t cost much, nor take much effort. In my case, they missed an actual revenue generator.

Those of us who don’t want to do the formal dance could pay $9.95 for the privilege of eating MDR food, in the attire of our choice, in the comforts of our stateroom. Celebrity gets $10 and we get to avoid the long, drawn out, experience which is typical of a MDR. Nope. Not happening.

I took that irritating lil piece of information and turned it into some positive motivation to slap on a hoodie, change into my tennis shoes, and meet my 7 mile a day goal by doing laps on 11. According to my Fitbit I even got in 44 minutes of hard cardio. Sometimes that happens when I’m ticked. Sometimes I eat chocolate cake instead. 

After I crushed it,  I marched my somewhat sweaty, shorts wearing, pony tail, no make up, hoodie girl self into the buffet. My plan was to make up something easy to take back to the cabin and call it a night. I was disappointing. Tonight’s buffet was especially lame and I was getting hangry. 

And then I met Zeus, almighty God of the oceanview cafe. Otherwise known as the mAitreD. 

I was taking photos of the buffet and two “higher ups” were standing close. I asked if the veal was the same veal being served in the MDR this evening. One of the men (later identified as Zeus-God it the Oceanview Cafe) reminded me that veal wasn’t on tonight’s menu. At which time I remembered it was lamb not veal and said I was disappointed I could not order room service off the MDR menu. I explained I tried to order the lamb to be delivered, but was shot down. He apologized for the change in policy and INSISTED I allow him to fetch Lamb from the MDR for me. 

I tried to refuse. I really don’t like special treatment, nor do I need to be fussed over but Zeus wasn’t taking no for an answer. He did ask that I “shhhhh” so I sat outside at the sunset bar which was practically empty. It took a few minutes but Nelson (one of my favorite workers in the ocean view cafe) appeared with the goods. The golden Lamb, and boy was it melt in your mouth fabulous. 

So my disappointment was made whole by excellent staff who truly went the extra mile. Again.

Here I sit, Eating delicious lamp chops, in my completely inappropriate chic night attire, while sitting outside at the sunset grill, sipping sangria and enjoying a cool ocean breeze and a star filled sky. Couldn’t make this up if I tried. 

Not going to lie, still a bit disappointed in the decision to limit room service, but the night was saved but this another example of why I believe crew trumps food. 

Just now, rpht said:

oops---trying to respond --- how fantastic ! The crew really are great and I know they are not happy about the situation. We spoke to the maitre'd  on the Edge as well as several other crew members and the Captain's Club concierge. Clearly they are not pleased so I'm sure they enjoyed being able to please you! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rpht said:

He apologized for the change in policy and INSISTED I allow him to fetch Lamb from the MDR for me. 

Zeus ex machina.

Really, the staff are sublime. It's a shame they are being put through this by corporate. You just know they are hearing it from passengers who are probably taking it out on them.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Brace: I’m here to deliver another pretty substantial blow. You don’t need to tuck your head between your legs  or anything that dramatic, but you may want to brace yourself. This one cuts deep because it was my work around for the limited buffet.

Wrong. 

Not going to lie, still a bit disappointed in the decision to limit room service, but the night was saved and this is yet another example of why I believe crew trumps food. 

Love your writing style, attitude and resourcefulness and especially your sense of humor

• Thanks 1

wonder if there will be some type of lamb leftovers in the buffet next day for lunch or dinner ..stew?

hope crew do not get demerits if they are caught  trying to assist guests with  workarounds to the new  policies.!

Your lamb looked great so  at least mdr served something  folks might like.  ( I love lamb but only if it is cooked very well done   so I skip eating it on ships or restsurants which serve it fairly rare)

Imagine if Celebrity would modify its draconian new food policies to be reasonable. Just returning to having MDR dinner available on room service (at the $11 charge of course), and returning grilled to order proteins at the buffet would make such  improvements. Maybe that's the intention--cut everything out so we will be grateful for any tiny improvement.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, mafig said:

When is this cruise?  Is it just one, or more?

Never mind.  I found it.  Disappointed that they only spend one day in New Orleans.  We were there for, I think, three nights.

Sorry for the hijack, BB.😍

February 10, 2024.  Two and a half days in NOLA.  Some categories sold out already.

5 minutes ago, cluso said:

February 10, 2024.  Two and a half days in NOLA.  Some categories sold out already.

2 days NOLA ..very good, but we are booked  on Ascent for Jan 2024..Need something later in the yr...but not during NOLA rainy season(?)

I have been to NOLA  a few days  for a land based conference,  but thought it would be fun to cruise there with dh..We'll keep looking..just hope X stays with Connie..updated or not..ok with us. But we would need AQ Class ..suites too pricey!

Last nights buffet photos- remember this was lobster night in the mdr so maybe they were expecting a very light turn out? Unfortunately, this was the worst selection yet for my tastebuds. Nothing looked appetizing and I wasn’t going to do pasta two nights in a row.

I’ve managed to be quite fine with the very limited selections, but without Zeus last nights dinner would have been extremely disappointing and left a very bad taste in my mouth (literally and figuratively). Something Celebrity probably should avoid this late in the game. 

493ED65C-E14C-4C4A-945A-E2C0096CC705.jpeg

9FC65B59-E15A-4130-A48E-F5852946422C.jpeg

B99F8299-F546-42D3-ACFD-940B51F5B324.jpeg

6CA584FE-AA7B-4C53-9E23-77B552123D26.jpeg

5EF38723-E913-4388-BEFF-A39512E5D41B.jpeg

B39F86FA-5399-47CB-9FD6-A63095B5AB45.jpeg

73A89845-6B29-4E71-AF64-0F19A483AD38.jpeg

5B77AF77-6A3C-4BB9-BAF8-566FE0243D7C.jpeg

21E4605C-2C7C-462C-9898-917C566D5EA6.jpeg

CC14850F-5BD1-4475-AD44-DFBFF303FF32.jpeg

42B8E237-841D-4904-8BDA-C637C1EFE228.jpeg

D08C5A5B-72F6-418E-AB9C-3BE38B9AB353.jpeg

BAA1DC66-4781-4DF1-9962-313927227623.jpeg

DE1E1E8E-78C8-462B-8712-EC250CA893F9.jpeg

4E3B2022-DE2F-490E-B9D6-E6A74973DBE0.jpeg

F8E72B88-22D9-4CFF-BE63-0A50F1CF94C3.jpeg

A989CA15-DA7F-48C6-9E46-763938834438.jpeg

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

This is a wonderful thread.  But I am so sad to read they are not offering the Mexican selections during the lunch buffet. This was by far my favorite option for lunch.  I loved making a plate of nachos with all the fixins!

Thank you!! I haven’t been good about posting lunch photos (or eating in the buffet for lunch),  but I am certain I saw a Mexican station at lunch at least one day. You would think this would be an inexpensive offering and farther down the chopping block. 

12 hours ago, rpht said:

Thank you so much for such a great review! We are booked on the Constellation for a B2B including a transatlantic for Oct/Nov and seriously reconsidering. We love the itinerary which is the reason we booked it but just came back from 11 nights on the Edge and really disappointed in Ocean View evening buffet. On a long trip we like to eat there and have the healthy choices of grilled to order so unless this changes we may cancel. 

Based on your review I assume the bed is comfortable? Since the cabins have not be refurbed that has been a concern too----we did a transatlantic on Royal a few years ago -- the ship was due for a refurb and the bed was so soft it was miserable despite all efforts by the cabin steward to remedy the situation. It has made us very wary of ships that are due to be refurbed. Not crazy about the shower curtain either but can live with that if I can get a good night's sleep.                                                                   Thanks again for all the great info----glad you are enjoying your cruise!

Bed is great! Not at all soft. I’m pretty sure the carpet in my room has been replaced too. If not replaced, the carpet is extremely high quality because no wear marks or stains are visible. The only real sign of aging in my room is the maroon couch, some dings in the walls, a drawer that is perpetually off track, and a cupboard that needs wiggling to close correctly. All manageable in my world. 

1 hour ago, Accessor said:

Let's hope the mothership doesn't get wind of this post and reprimand the crew for doing this! Might not even want to share this publicly, same reason they didn't want you to eat this on display in front of other guest.

If the mothership reprimands the senior mAitreD for going the extra mile, Celebrity is doomed. Abandon all future bookings immediately because this line won’t make it. Seriously. Higher ups need flexibility to read their audience. Just the fact that a few people on this thread had that possibility even cross their minds is very problematic for this company. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonight’s dinner menu. I had hopes that prime rib may show up tonight but it is just not to be. Prime was originally on day 1 in the app. A few days before sailing the app was adjusted to the some of the new menus and prime was moved to night 8.

Then the morning of embarkation (or maybe it was the night before embarkation) the menus changed once again and prime was removed entirely. Poof. Vanished. 

Of course, no one will starve, and the two times I ate food from the MDR it was truly excellent (beef tornados and  Lamb). But the cuts to are obvious.

I’ve posted the menus every night of this 10 day cruise and the theme is “where’s the beer?” I haven’t gone back to review each night (maybe one of you can), but I think there was beef on the mdr menu only twice. Of course there is the everyday NYstrip but that has always been unappealing in texture, color, and taste. I stopped ordering those years ago. 

C8611045-6903-4BF0-B6FC-86E4CB7EAE6A.jpeg

CAF4CFB1-BB2C-44B4-9E0F-D16CABEEEED0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

But there are cuts. I’ve posted the menus every night of this 10 day cruise and the theme is “where’s the beer?”

"Where are the appetizers?" is another legitimate question. I see 2 soups and 3 salads, but no actual appetizer unless you go with the escargot or shrimp cocktail from the classics.

• Like 6