Drastic 50-60% reduction in Port fees and taxes

drsel

9 hours ago, drsel said:

Some months after booking, if the basic cruise fare has gone up, but the port fees & taxes have reduced 50--65%, can we a price reduction ONLY on the port fees & taxes?

Never...ever...heard of portvfees and taxes dropping..let alone 50-65%

• Like 1

So, we had this happen too. We transferred our cruise to a TA and I noticed the price dropped. When I looked at the details, the actual cruise face went up, but the port charges and taxes dropped from $460pp to $206pp. Didn't ask why, and won't 🙂

This is the reply of my TA--

MSC confirmed that in order to get the new 40-60% LOWER PRICE for taxes and fees, they would need to reprice the entire booking to the new fare. They cannot price adjust ONLY the taxes and fees. 

Edited by drsel
  • Like 2

Some situations may apply, either way:

1. Itinerary changes, including less time in certain ports.

2. Less ships or less passengers per ship in certain ports may command for certain port authorities a tax lowering scheme. In most ports those taxes are dynamic these days.

2. Certain jurisdictions may have added some extra taxes in lieu of additional Covid related services, like the testing tents among others. At least here in Lisbon that has been the case. Gone the Covid restrictions, jurisdictions are coming to normal operations, then eliminating those taxes.

Whatever the case... Enjoy till it stays as that and have a nice day!... 🙂

1 hour ago, quattrohead said:

When the ship misses a port, they automatically refund the port fee's anyway.

Sounds more like they over charged to begin with.

Costa didn't refund anything for a missed port in Madagascar, due to poor weather

3 hours ago, drsel said:

This is the reply of my TA--

MSC confirmed that in order to get the new 40-60% LOWER PRICE for taxes and fees, they would need to reprice the entire booking to the new fare. They cannot price adjust ONLY the taxes and fees. 

That is because for almost all markets MSC does not collect the taxes and fees separately. It is part of the cruise price. Actually in many European countries it would be illegal to add these taxes and fees as the published price always have to be final. Even RCCL and Carnival have to follow the final price rule there for all of their cruises.

Also for me MSC never returned anything because of missed ports, but I also did not expect it. Anyway I highly prefer the European system and totally hate the fake prices for Asian and American markets. 

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 2

From Carnival -

"there will be no compensation for missed ports, beyond a refund of any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions and the taxes, fees and port expenses paid for the cancelled port."

I did not find anything from MSC/NCL or RCCL directly, just various forums and blogs that were 50/50 on it lol.

Bret, what is the current practice of MSC for port charges refunds ?