Norwegian Joy revitalization

happytotravel

19 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Just read on Cruise Industry News that the Joy will be taken out of service between January 06 and February 16, 2024 to be revitalized.  What could they be doing?  It was only built in 2017.

Thanks, happytotravel

That was five years ago.    Think about how much wear and tear is on that ship when it's sailing 24/7/365.  Not just engineering but beds/carpets, etc.

• Thanks 1

It had a 50 M revamp a year after it was built when it was removed from the Asian market.  Agree with the above.  Things like new carpets, worn furniture and alike.  Five weeks could also entail some maintenance and hull touch ups in a dry dock as well.

49 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Just read on Cruise Industry News that the Joy will be taken out of service between January 06 and February 16, 2024 to be revitalized.  What could they be doing?  It was only built in 2017.

NCL does major dry docks every 5 years. That being said, since being built, the Joy already went through a $50M renovation in 2019 to Americanize her (taking out tea rooms and replacing with restaurants, taking out the sea food buffet and replacing with Los Lobos, taking out the zen garden and replacing with a pool deck, removing a lot of suites and installing an Observation Lounge). So, the renovations of the Joy may be less. 

For example when the Norwegian Epic went to dry dock after 5 years of operations,  public areas were torn down to the deck plates and rebuilt. Our Haven stateroom had all new tiling and fittings. 

image.thumb.png.c0b3570dc822961003d91f562b929166.png

image.thumb.png.29a65b23ac8514b0c12773b2f71952ba.png

image.thumb.png.2bac5b2c419b8d94b64ccd5a8c9db28e.png

Uncredited public post

1 hour ago, happytotravel said:

As others have noted, it's routine every 5 years or so.  On top of that, the Joy had some issues with loud noises in the back of the ship when travelling at higher speeds.  There are threads on here about it and I noticed it firsthand at Cagney's; not all the time, but occasionally.  I purposely avoided aft cabins on my last cruise as well as my next one (if you stay Fwd or Mid, you'll be fine.)  So I'd imagine that would be something that would be addressed.  

14 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I purposely avoided aft cabins on my last cruise as well as my next one (if you stay Fwd or Mid, you'll be fine.)  So I'd imagine that would be something that would be addressed.  

We also avoided the aft cabins and hopefully they will fix this issue.

We were fortunate to have sailed Bliss in her first year, and Joy in late 2019, so both looked totally new. Loved them both. We did Escape Dec 21, and not fond of that ship at all in comparison, so we are back on Bliss this Feb. Sounds like that is due for refreshing soon, so hopefully still in good shape … guessing the Covid layoff makes it a little ‘younger’ than her actual age.

Can’t say that’s worked for me 😀

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, happytotravel said:

Thanks, happytotravel

I have to wonder if they might create some solo rooms since the JOY does not have any,

If JOY stays in USA waters, they might make even more changes.  time will tell

On YouTube under Cruise Ships. Cruise News Today Jude Parker did a short story about the January 2024 cancelation of the Joy.  He reported that NCL will be refunding all the money plus a 10% FCC and when the Joy is ready to sail in February the Joy will be sailing out of the Port of Miami.

I am sailing on the Joy to the Caribbean from NYC and cannot wait due to covid and the NCL cruises that were cancelled.   

Sam The Cat

1 minute ago, Sam The Cat said:

On YouTube under Cruise Ships. Cruise News Today Jude Parker did a short story about the January 2024 cancelation of the Joy.  He reported that NCL will be refunding all the money plus a 10% FCC and when the Joy is ready to sail in February the Joy will be sailing out of the Port of Miami.

I am sailing on the Joy to the Caribbean from NYC and cannot wait due to covid and the NCL cruises that were cancelled.   

Sam The Cat

He reported this information on January 18th

• 6 months later...