Norwegian Gem Jan 16-25 Bermuda/Bahamas live report

pookel

PS People kept telling me that cruise ships are kept cold, bring a sweater etc. That has not been the case for me. I've been so hot I'm actually sweating most of the time Ive been in the interior areas of the ship. I have to keep going outside to cool off. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your daily report.  We're getting more excited by the day - we get on when you get off.  If you have a chance, would you please be so kind as to post a picture or two of the dailies?  The activities part is what I'm most interested in, especially on sea days.

Any shows happening?

57 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Uh...not gonna say anything, but.... 

Lol I'm seasick not pregnant, I'm 45 and menopausal

Although when I embarked the lady at the port screwed up her question and asked me "do you expect to be pregnant by the end of the cruise?" And I said "I sure hope not" 

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, pookel said:

Nothing else to report yet - no itinerary changes, calm seas and lovely weather. Oh, and I did try to take a pic of the game room but it's quite small & there was a painting event going on, so I will have to check back later.                                                                    

Thank you very much for trying.  If there going to schedule things like that it may not work for a sea day get together to play then.  Just looking for a spot that about 8-10ish people could play a dice game.

Gem is favorite ship. Was on 2007 maiden voyage out of Boston in a snow storm.

Always enjoyed size, activities and the great outdoors on the stern.

Jao is a great GM. Had great time last April. Who is the captain?

Deck 12 card room is good for board games.

The model of the SS UNITED STATES I gave the ship in 2008 resides there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMCOLT said:

Gem is favorite ship. Was on 2007 maiden voyage out of Boston in a snow storm.

Always enjoyed size, activities and the great outdoors on the stern.

Jao is a great GM. Had great time last April. Who is the captain?

Deck 12 card room is good for board games.

Thanks for the info. and I will check out the ship.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, Birdnutty said:

I forgot to ask you last night to take a look today.  Our itinerary for the day depends on the ferry(s), so that's why I'm asking.  It would be great if you could find out.  I'd sure appreciate it!

Hello! We were in Bermuda port a week ago and NCL did run the St. George ferry. I don’t have a picture of the time but wanted you to know it was running. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

While you were in Bermuda were you able to walk around with just a shirt or did you need a jacket/sweater?

I was in a light blouse & capris and was still a bit warm, but I'm from North Dakota. Locals were complaining of the cold. I'd guess it was about 65-70F?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

Thank you very much for trying.  If there going to schedule things like that it may not work for a sea day get together to play then.  Just looking for a spot that about 8-10ish people could play a dice game.

I think you should be OK as long as you're flexible & check the Freestyle Daily for what's scheduled there. Still haven't managed to get a pic but it's a small room - maybe 20' by 15'? I would say no more than 20-25 people could fit comfortably. 

7 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

While you were in Bermuda were you able to walk around with just a shirt or did you need a jacket/sweater?

We were there on Friday (one week ago). It was 68 degrees but windy due to impending storm. Ocean was also 68 degrees. I did go in, but it was definitely chilly! I didn’t stay in the water for more than 15 minutes. We are from New England though, so I don’t mind the colder water.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pookel said:

I think you should be OK as long as you're flexible & check the Freestyle Daily for what's scheduled there. Still haven't managed to get a pic but it's a small room - maybe 20' by 15'? I would say no more than 20-25 people could fit comfortably. 

Thanks again for trying but look what I just found. 🙂 

https://www.ncl.com/shorex/221799730/50775471/details/activities/gem-activity-card-roomlife-style-room#?productType=ACTIVITIES&date=

15 hours ago, GMCOLT said:

We'll be on the Gem in 2+ weeks doing the Panama Canal transit, ending in New York. I have been on the Gem quite a few times and don't recall ever noticing the SS United States model. I will definitely look for it on this voyage.

BTW - Are you aware (you probably are) that the SS United States sits in a berth in Philadelphia? It was in a sorry state for so long but I think money has been raised to resume the restoration project (someone verify this or correct me if I'm wrong).

<m>

18 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

On some of the Jewel class ships, we have utilized the "Garden Cafe" (buffet area) but not near the buffet, during "non-meal times" for games.  The game room on the jewel class ships typically have 6 - 10 tables that seat 4 people and you could move some together.

Port day in Nassau today so not much to report from the ship. We had a late lunch at the Bahamian Cookin' Kitchen in Nassau & bought some souvenirs. Back on the ship now where they're doing a Caribbean night at the buffet & also have prime rib. I didn't try it but my husband said it was good.

Last night was the "Divos and Divas" show at the Stardust, which was really just the B12 band playing some hit songs by Tina Turner, Lionel Richie and others, but they're very good and we had fun. I can't remember if I reported on Blazing Boots a couple nights ago, but it was also a well done production. It's really just about 45 minutes of country music song and dance numbers, but they're very talented & it's a fun show.

Weather is perfect and seas have been calm, and we've heard nothing about GSC tomorrow being canceled, so fingers crossed we'll actually make it there.

I have internet through Google Fi in Nassau, so I'll do a photo dump next. 

• Like 1

Photo dump! So sorry I'm not very organized about labeling things or taking pics of menus every day. Image files should have timestamps & locations though at least!

The image with all the desserts is from the Grand Pacific last night. Slot machines are in the Bliss - I'd heard somewhere that someone thought they were removed during dry dock but they are definitely still there. 

P_20230120_172719.jpg

P_20230120_122805.jpg

P_20230120_112133.jpg

P_20230120_110559.jpg

P_20230120_101800.jpg

P_20230119_222904.jpg

P_20230119_194006.jpg

P_20230119_192103.jpg

P_20230119_175628.jpg

P_20230119_124739.jpg

P_20230119_122531.jpg

P_20230119_111136.jpg

P_20230119_111027.jpg

P_20230119_103146.jpg

P_20230119_103138.jpg

P_20230119_103135.jpg

P_20230119_103130.jpg

P_20230118_210013.jpg

P_20230118_143532.jpg

P_20230117_165505.jpg

P_20230117_164450.jpg

P_20230117_164953.jpg

P_20230117_164941.jpg

P_20230117_135817.jpg

P_20230116_221350.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pookel said:

Port day in Nassau today so not much to report from the ship. We had a late lunch at the Bahamian Cookin' Kitchen in Nassau

Love that place!  Conch fritters, yum!

Hope you make it to GSC; have a great day, wherever you are!

Thanks for all the photos.  Nice to see the Bridge Viewing Room is still open.

Edited by Turtles06