Norwegian Gem Jan 16-25 Bermuda/Bahamas live report

pookel

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

pookel was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I posted yesterday on a different site about embarkation experiences but I'll sum it up here - we arrived around 12:30, everything was a smooth & simple process, people were all very friendly and helpful, and we were hanging out at the Great Outdoors by a little after 1:00. Fixed a minor issue with my room card at Guest Services with no wait, and again everyone is very friendly. 

NCL is using some kind of organic material straws which work better than paper, and I didn't feel a need to get out my steel straws, but fyi Starbucks is still using paper straws and those suck.

Drinks have been made quickly & well (not that I'm not a picky drinker though) if a bit weak. If your goal is to get hammered, you'll want to stick with hard liquor and avoid the mixed drinks. 

We had dinner at Orchid Garden, where I don't want to say the service was slow exactly - waiters were very attentive and replaced drinks and took plates away as soon as needed, but it did take a long time for our food to arrive. The restaurant was pretty full so i would guess the kitchen was backed up.

Food at the free venues comes in fairly small portions. I don't mind because I like to try a variety of things, but it could be hard to fill up if you order just one entree. I learned already to order a couple appetizers plus the main course plus dessert, all at once when the server first arrives. That way you won't have to order again later if it's not enough food. 

Someone told me we have 1800 passengers, which would mean about 75% capacity, but I have no idea if that's accurate. It doesn't feel crowded though. Not a lot of kids - a few littles/babies and some teenagers, but not many. Plenty of people in my age group (45) and up, fewer in the younger generations. Very diverse crowd with multiple different languages spoken in passenger areas, though I haven't met anyone who didn't also speak English. 

Karaoke in the Spinnaker last night was small but a blast - a crew people singing were really good to the point that they must be formally trained. The rest were enthusiastic amateurs but we all had fun! Shout out to Luz who did three songs including Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) and to a lady whose name I didn't catch, but who did a note-perfect rendition of 'My Guy' to serenade her husband. 

On to today.

First full day on board the Gem - a sea day. My motion sickness is manageable with meds but I can definitely feel the ship rocking. Last night it was soothing and helped me sleep, but when trying to walk today, it made feel drunk or high. Other more experienced passengers commented that these are rough seas, which was reassuring - I was afraid this was considered normal.

Breakfast at the buffet this morning was fine - lots of options from healthy (fresh fruit and yogurt) to less healthy (omelet stations, scrambled eggs, tons of bacon). Food wasn't piping hot but that's to be expected of a buffet. I noticed they seemed to be trying to appeal to a wide variety of palates - when I was getting oatmeal I saw they also had grits, cream of wheat, congee, and something that might have been tapioca pudding but I didn't see the label. Plenty of vegetarian options but also plenty of bacon & sausage.

Cruise Critics meet and greet was at 10:00 and we met most of the staff - I'm not good with names but did take a photo of them and of the cards with their names. We chatted a bit with the cruise director, Yanique, who is from Jamaica and was very friendly. 

We caught part of trivia in the atrium and then stuck around for Scattergories, which was fun. Then we had lunch in the Grand Pacific, which was excellent - I had Italian wedding soup, Caesar salad, hummus with pita bread, and chicken Milanese for main. Everything was delicious & the servers were very attentive (actually a bit too attentive - I had just turned down a fourth glass of prosecco when a different server brought me one without asking). Yes, I have the drink package so no charges for that. 

Met up with a group of board gamers at O-Sheehans, then back to our room to chill, where we found the room was clean & they'd left us a little plate of treats (I think this is a perk of the club balcony mini-suites). We have a door magnet with our names & a magnetic whiteboard people have been writing silly messages on & those were not moved or disturbed.

I had a shower last night in the infamous shower/tub combo and had no issues, but I can see how it might be difficult for someone with mobility issues in their knees. (I measured and the rim of the tub is 22" off the floor.) Also, I remember someone somewhere asking if the tub/shower combos have a safety rail to hold onto - mine does, at least. There is a safety rail in the toilet cubicle too. 

The room is just wonderful - plenty of deep drawers and one large lighted closet. The couch is not super comfortable (too firm for my tastes) but no real problems with it. Two US outlets and one Euro outlet above the desk. Magnetic hooks work on main wall and ceiling but not where there's wood paneling. 

Currently sitting on the balcony in a sundress enjoying the cool breeze while I write this up. If my internet is working well I will add some photos too. (Internet has been fine so far, but I only have the 150 minute basic FAS package so I'm limiting myself to 15 minutes a day.)

Next up is a whisky tasting and then our specialty dinner at Le Bistro. Tomorrow is Bermuda. Hope to update you fine folks again soon! 

P_20230116_171056.jpg

P_20230117_153648.jpg

P_20230117_164941.jpg

P_20230117_153715.jpg

• Like 5

Just a hint that Cruise Critic is a free website on NCL. If you go to login.com, then click on a button (I forgot which one), you'll see a list of free sites. I did notice the free internet is way more slow than the per minute internet. I was not often successful at getting Cruise Critic to work, but different ship, different dates, so maybe you'll have better luck. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pookel said:

Met up with a group of board gamers at O-Sheehans, then back to our room to chill, where we found the room was clean & they'd left us a little plate of treats (I think this is a perk of the club balcony mini-suites). We have a door magnet with our names & a magnetic whiteboard people have been writing silly messages on & those were not moved or disturbed.

Currently sitting on the balcony in a sundress enjoying the cool breeze while I write this up. If my internet is working well I will add some photos too. (Internet has been fine so far, but I only have the 150 minute basic FAS package so I'm limiting myself to 15 minutes a day.)

Next up is a whisky tasting and then our specialty dinner at Le Bistro. Tomorrow is Bermuda. Hope to update you fine folks again soon! 

P_20230116_171056.jpg

Thank you for the review so far as we will be on the Gem in March.  Probably going to the same places? Bermuda, San Juan, Philipsburg, St. Thomas, Tortola ❤️, Puerto Plata (hopefully).

Did you take off out of NY and is that the Verrazano bridge?  If so, could you tell me did you go by the Statue of Liberty and about how long after leaving the dock and how long before the bridge?

So, they were letting you play a board game in O'sheehans?  I would think they would want tables for those eating but good to know.  If possible could you go by the game room on deck 12 just past the pool and next to the internet cafe and take a picture or just let me know about how big it is.  I am looking for a space where a smallish group could play LRC (a dice game).

Whiskey tasting sounds like fun where/how do you sign up for that?  We don't have the drink package as I don't drink enough for it to be worth it but this sounds good.

Edited by cruiseat50

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Just a hint that Cruise Critic is a free website on NCL. If you go to login.com, then click on a button (I forgot which one), you'll see a list of free sites. I did notice the free internet is way more slow than the per minute internet. I was not often successful at getting Cruise Critic to work, but different ship, different dates, so maybe you'll have better luck. 

Yes, thank you for the tip! It's mostly unusable but if I'm on a specific page (like this one) and just refresh, sometimes that works. The menus don't load if I'm trying to go into the main site. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseat50 said:

Thank you for the review so far as we will be on the Gem in March.  Probably going to the same places? Bermuda, San Juan, Philipsburg, St. Thomas, Tortola ❤️, Puerto Plata (hopefully).

Did you take off out of NY and is that the Verrazano bridge?  If so, could you tell me did you go by the Statue of Liberty and about how long after leaving the dock and how long before the bridge?

So, they were letting you play a board game in O'sheehans?  I would think they would want tables for those eating but good to know.  If possible could you go by the game room on deck 12 just past the pool and next to the internet cafe and take a picture or just let me know about how big it is.  I am looking for a space where a smallish group could play LRC (a dice game).

Whiskey tasting sounds like fun where/how do you sign up for that?  We don't have the drink package as I don't drink enough for it to be worth it but this sounds good.

Yes, they let us play in o'sheehans but it was 2 pm and not crowded. I'm sorry I can't tell you how long it took after we left port - maybe 15 min to see lady liberty and another 15 to go under the bridge?

The whisky tasting was at Maltings but we didn't get to participate. We showed up a minute late and it was already full - they only had room for 12 and it was full. So, I'd recommend to go early.

One minor piece of info in case anyone is curious: there's a regular "LGBTQIA" gathering but we noticed it seems to be all gay men in the group. Maybe that varies by ship but it might be harder for other demographics to make friends.

I haven't yet found the game room but will keep you updated! 

• Like 1

Glad you’re finally aboard the beautiful Gem. Sounds like you’re having a great vacation already. Highly offended that you placed my favorite breakfast foods in the less healthy category. Is that why I gain weight every cruise? 😂

I hope the seas smooth out for you going forward. Can’t wait to follow along. 

• Haha 3

So glad you're posting!  We'll be getting on when you get off.  With all the last minute changes NCL is making, it'll be interesting to see how your cruise goes.  

I'm particularly interested to hear how your Bermuda day goes.  Please tell us if the NCL ferry is running.  Our whole Bermuda schedule is based on ferry times and this one could make a difference.

Looking forward to your next entry.

Wishing you smooth seas and no missed ports.  😁

3 hours ago, pookel said:

Yes, they let us play in o'sheehans but it was 2 pm and not crowded. I'm sorry I can't tell you how long it took after we left port - maybe 15 min to see lady liberty and another 15 to go under the bridge?

The whisky tasting was at Maltings but we didn't get to participate. We showed up a minute late and it was already full - they only had room for 12 and it was full. So, I'd recommend to go early.

One minor piece of info in case anyone is curious: there's a regular "LGBTQIA" gathering but we noticed it seems to be all gay men in the group. Maybe that varies by ship but it might be harder for other demographics to make friends.

I haven't yet found the game room but will keep you updated! 

According to the deck plans on NCL.com, the Game Room is on Deck 12 forward just inside the door toward the Spa from the Pool Deck.

Just did the Crystal Caves & aquarium tour in Bermuda, where I have unlimited cell service (thanks Google Fi). Lovely tour, though caves were a bit smaller than I had hoped. Bus driver is basically doing a tour of the island as we drive from/to the caves.

My restless leg syndrome is killing me rn &  I'd appreciate if anyone has any idea what could be affecting it , - travel? Stress? Alcohol? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pookel said:

My restless leg syndrome is killing me rn &  I'd appreciate if anyone has any idea what could be affecting it , - travel? Stress? Alcohol? 

Mine is always worse when I travel.  I have found elevating them before bed and while I am sleeping helps a lot.  

54 minutes ago, pookel said:

... restless leg syndrome is killing me rn &  I'd appreciate if anyone has any idea what could be affecting it , - travel? Stress? Alcohol? 

"urban, cruise legend" rumored root-causes being that the clean water used onboard for everything is high in sodium, causing swelling, etc.  Drinking bottled water alone isn't sufficient according to untested claims.  My PCP said to just watch it carefully, take prescribed meds for hypertension on time, and avoid sauces and soup whenever practical & possible, and easy walking to exercise.  

Isn't Google Fi great, using that this weekend and free hotspot tethering without restrictions, well worth it  - access from 200 countries in voice, text/SMS and fast data.  

1 hour ago, pookel said:

Just did the Crystal Caves & aquarium tour in Bermuda, where I have unlimited cell service (thanks Google Fi). Lovely tour, though caves were a bit smaller than I had hoped. Bus driver is basically doing a tour of the island as we drive from/to the caves.

Glad you enjoyed it!  A year ago, when we lost two of our three days in Bermuda because of wind, we did that tour as well, and enjoyed it very much.   (We'd been to the aquarium before, but it's delightful and we were happy to return.)  Our driver pretty much did an island tour also. In fact, he even stopped at the Lighthouse for a photo op, which was certainly not part of the excursion, and that was a real bonus.

Looks like you had beautiful weather.  Keep enjoying your cruise!

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbhdW-cZRjRrw6m5OqBY32KVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1674066744

1 hour ago, pookel said:

Mine is completely random. Could be all of the above.   But if you can get your hands on some Theraworx when you get back near port, that stuff is awesome!  Homeopathic, can't overdose, topical.  Squirt it on,, rub it in and it somehow magically goes away!  YMMV, but it's worth a try.   Many of the larger chains like Walgreens do have a non-name brand, sometimes.

Did you use the ferry?  Is the NCL ferry running?  Can you take a pic of the schedule, if so, please?

Do you know if they have paper bus maps available when you're in port? or an online app or something? Trying to check the bus map online but I can't read it on my screen, and it doesn't allow me to zoom in.I don't think the route is too complicated, but as I've never been to Bermuda, I'd just like to prepare ahead of time.

So sorry, I was not at the ferry or looking for bus maps - I got straight off the ship and followed my group to the tour bus people with signs for my excursion. I will ask around for this stuff in case another passenger was paying more attention. 

7 minutes ago, pookel said:

So sorry, I was not at the ferry or looking for bus maps - I got straight off the ship and followed my group to the tour bus people with signs for my excursion. I will ask around for this stuff in case another passenger was paying more attention. 

I forgot to ask you last night to take a look today.  Our itinerary for the day depends on the ferry(s), so that's why I'm asking.  It would be great if you could find out.  I'd sure appreciate it!

13 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

Do you know if they have paper bus maps available when you're in port? or an online app or something? Trying to check the bus map online but I can't read it on my screen, and it doesn't allow me to zoom in.I don't think the route is too complicated, but as I've never been to Bermuda, I'd just like to prepare ahead of time.

They usually have them in the terminal as you disembark.  They did last time we were there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Isn't Google Fi great, using that this weekend and free hotspot tethering without restrictions, well worth it  - access from 200 countries in voice, text/SMS and fast data.  

Never heard of this.  May we have details, please?  It might be something we should look into.

30 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

May we have details, please?  It might be something we should look into.

Sure - It's a Google Phone Plan, launched in 2015 and we've been on it since, global coverage that expanded from 120 countries to then 130+ and now available in 200+ countries, unlimited voice & text messaging, at low cost or included plus data on PAYG basis at $10 per GB, The Simply Unlimited Plan, or the top tier Unlimited Plus Plan (which is the current one that I'm on).  You can change your plan & move to a different one at the next monthly billing cycle (thus, a little planning ahead)  especially if you are going abroad, doing a short or T/A or extended B2B / B2B2B cruise visiting multiple countries.  

DW is on the Flexible Plan usually, $20 /mo plus actual data used, with taxes/fees/etc. and about 1 GB used as she's mostly on WiFi or tethering off my on the go, about $35 to $40 each month for NY ... charges are lower in certain states with lower regulatory fees, taxes & surcharges, etc. 

Mine is about $75 a  month - no contract and bring your own smartphone/iPhone supported or get one of their approved devices, choose from a list of mid-range and top-of-the line - mainly Androids, usually with generous discounts and trade-in allowances for older devices.  

In terms of coverage, if you have good T-Mobile 5G and 4G LTE signal in your area, home & office/work and highways/roads frequently traveled - this is ideal.  Those on AT&T and VZW, check & give it a try to see whether it works for you or not, cancel if not satisfied & pay for usage, no contract terms or penalities.  

If there is 2 users or lines, 3 or 4 - further discounts applied and it is price competitive vs. using T-Mobile or one of the other MNVO, like Straight Talk, Mint, or low cost Red Pocket, because - you have full access when traveling abroad or overseas.  On a typical 7 nights cruise, except for zero coveage at sea, our extra data & cost for calls - usually no more than $10 to $15, all inclusive ... not even a day's worth of NCL basic unlimited WiFi at $30.  See below - 

https://fi.google.com/about/plans 

Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean Islands, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Europe - it's all covered by Google Fi.  

The Plus Plan comes with 1 year of Youtube Premium free, that's well worth paying a little extra for.  After our upcoming cruise, probably going to downgrade my plan to save money, until the next oversea trip - even on the Flexible Plan, the extra $10 per GB billing charge is capped at $60 for that billing cycle, no matter how much fast data is used ... avoid horror stories of hundreds on the next monthly statement of charges due.  

Read and "Google" Fi by Google for more details. Happy to answer additional questions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Norwegian Gem trip report

Day four - at sea

We are having a low-key sea day today after staying up late last night doing karaoke in the Bliss lounge. We had dinner at the Garden Cafe last night and it was fine but nothing special. I was feeling a bit queasy and headachy all day so was not very excited about dinner. I tried an aperol spritz from the Great Outdoors and it was frankly disgusting- I think it was made correctly and it must just be an acquired taste.

I'm sorry I can't answer any questions about Bermuda as we're long gone from there - we were only in port for about 6 hours yesterday. It was just enough time to do the caves/aquarium/zoo tour and then grab a hotdog & buy a rum cake from vendors at the pier before getting back on the ship.

We did room service breakfast this morning and it was buffet quality food - perfectly acceptable but not restaurant-quality. A nice way to start the day. Walked through the pool area to get to the spa & stopped to give a couple ducks to two little girls who were there with their dad and grandma.

Weather has been warm but windy, and the hot tubs have been full but only a few people getting in the pools. Lots of people out sunning poolside though.

Lunch was O'Sheehans and the food was amazing despite a series of hilarious mishaps with my friend's nachos - first they omitted the cheese sauce and meat, then they brought a replacement but it included sour cream when she'd asked for no sour cream. The third version was correct though. I felt bad for the servers as they looked pretty busy.

Nothing else to report yet - no itinerary changes, calm seas and lovely weather. Oh, and I did try to take a pic of the game room but it's quite small & there was a painting event going on, so I will have to check back later. 

• Like 2