Can I carry my big luggage onboard?

ksuyen

I read that each guest has the option to carry their luggage on board or check-in luggage prior to boarding. I have 1 big luggage with all my clothes on (20kg) and a hand carry bag. Can I carry my big one myself on board instead of check-in luggage? The reason is because I will be boarding after 2PM, and it makes sense to go straight to my cabin since it's usually available after 1PM instead of waiting for the crew to bring it to my room which can be delayed till late in the evening.

Also, do I still need to use the tag?

Edited by ksuyen

4 minutes ago, njsmom said:

the x-ray unit is the same size as at the airport. would it fit through that scanner?

I am not sure. I guess the problem is more of the width than the length. I can't find what size is the standard airport x-ray, but it does seem to fit in (barely).

1 minute ago, ksuyen said:

I am not sure. I guess the problem is more of the width than the length. I can't find what size is the standard airport x-ray, but it does seem to fit in (barely).

I've put child car seats in the airport x-ray scanner, but I don't know about that size luggage. I'm sure that info is out there somewhere for the cruise ship. Sorry I can't be more help. 

6 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I've put child car seats in the airport x-ray scanner, but I don't know about that size luggage. I'm sure that info is out there somewhere for the cruise ship. Sorry I can't be more help. 

No worries. If I am not mistaken, your luggage doesn't have to lay flat when it was on the belt, right? If it could be standing on its side, it should pass the the x-ray height.

59 minutes ago, ksuyen said:

I read that each guest has the option to carry their luggage on board or check-in luggage prior to boarding. I have 1 big luggage with all my clothes on (20kg) and a hand carry bag. Can I carry my big one myself on board instead of check-in luggage? The reason is because I will be boarding after 2PM, and it makes sense to go straight to my cabin since it's usually available after 1PM instead of waiting for the crew to bring it to my room which can be delayed till late in the evening.

OK.  I'll say it.

I am going to assume you realize what a pain it could be for you to drag your big suitcase to whatever you plan on doing on board until the stateroom hallways are opened up--I see that you are boarding late, so that will help a bit.  And the amount of space it will take up on the elevators at a very busy time for your self and others.  

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, teddie said:

I am going to assume you realize what a pain it could be for you to drag your big suitcase to whatever you plan on doing on board until the stateroom hallways are opened up.

Not an issue. OP states: 

I will be boarding after 2PM, and it makes sense to go straight to my cabin since it's usually available after 1PM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teddie said:

OK.  I'll say it.

I am going to assume you realize what a pain it could be for you to drag your big suitcase to whatever you plan on doing on board until the stateroom hallways are opened up.  And the amount of space it will take up on the elevators at a very busy time for your self and others.  

Just sayin'...

Teddie

I know which is why we embark after the stateroom is available so we can go straight to our stateroom, and in worst case scenario we can use the stair as it will be only 2 levels up from deck entry. The little exercise beats having my luggage lost somewhere or way late till over the dining time as often happened in my past cruises.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not an issue. OP states: 

I will be boarding after 2PM, and it makes sense to go straight to my cabin since it's usually available after 1PM

Thanks 🙂  

In my haste, I responded before reading the entire post--apologies, as I guess I got distracted by the term "carry my big luggage", lol.    I've edited my post.

Teddie

• Thanks 1

Just now, ksuyen said:

I know which is why we embark after the stateroom is available so we can go straight to our stateroom, and in worst case scenario we can use the stair as it will be only 2 levels up from deck entry. The little exercise beats having my luggage lost somewhere or way late till over the dining time as often happened in my past cruises.

I re-read your post and now understand.  I am a little slow tonight 🙂

Teddie

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Well, I’m confused. 1st it’s a BIG bag, then it’s a medium bag, now it’s a 13X20.

It's the side dimensions  when it lays down horizontally. I ignore the 28" because it doesn't matter when it enters the X-Ray. But the height and the width must fit within the tunnel opening.

Similar as this:

1.png

Edited by ksuyen

11 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

1) Put a ring on it. Oops tag. 
2) carry it up to the scanner. 
3) be ready to give it up, if it doesn’t fit. 
also, you may have to take it back to a previous area. 

Repeat this, since the question about the tags hasn't been brought up.  

Even though we carry everything on board, we also tag everything just in case they don't let us (which has happened once over a lot of cruises).

The other suggestion, even though you *should* be able to get a elevator given the time you board- you may need to walk a little to find the low traffic elevator.  This happens 1 out of 5 cruises or so for us.

13 hours ago, ksuyen said:

Yes, as long as it's not one of those seriously massive suitcases, your plan will work. 

In reality, though, suitcases reach your room pretty quickly.  We always try to be in the first boarding group, and our luggage is always in the hallway when "rooms open up" around 1:00.  

I would tag the suitcase just in case you end up giving it to the porters.  

11 hours ago, ksuyen said:

... The little exercise beats having my luggage lost somewhere or way late till over the dining time as often happened in my past cruises.

If your luggage gets lost once while boarding a cruise ship you could chalk it up to bad luck. 

If it's happening "often", you're not labeling your suitcases well.