fully paid cruise cancelled by RCL without our knowledge

TeamCan

I am acting as the organizer for a family trip that includes 3 staterooms / reservations. All these reservations were paid in full the first week of Nov 2022. Back on 12/6/22 I booked an 80th birthday lunch for 9 guests across these 3 reservations. I paid in full for all 9 guests and received my emailed receipt. Later that day while looking at our plans, I realized that there was suddenly now a balance pending of $87.24 for one of the staterooms. This was the exact amount for the cost of the 80th birthday lunch for the 4 individuals in the stateroom. It appeared as a cautionary statement, like "Balance  of $87.24 due by  Nov 20, 2022" (similiar to what you see prior to paying for your cruise in full). I thought it was odd since  it was past the final due date and I also had a receipt showing the cruise was paid in full back on Nov 7, 2022. I panicked and just paid it in fear that they would do exactly what I've read here. I guess I'm happy I did, but I'm still not sure how I'm going to attempt to get the $87.24 refunded.  I cringe thinking about spending hours on the phone trying to explain such a simple IT error. It took us hours just to get all our dining for 9 guests set up since the app only allows you to set up for 8 people on one reservation. Erg!!  

2 minutes ago, dboff123 said:

I am acting as the organizer for a family trip that includes 3 staterooms / reservations. All these reservations were paid in full the first week of Nov 2022. Back on 12/6/22 I booked an 80th birthday lunch for 9 guests across these 3 reservations. I paid in full for all 9 guests and received my emailed receipt. Later that day while looking at our plans, I realized that there was suddenly now a balance pending of $87.24 for one of the staterooms. This was the exact amount for the cost of the 80th birthday lunch for the 4 individuals in the stateroom. It appeared as a cautionary statement, like "Balance  of $87.24 due by  Nov 20, 2022" (similiar to what you see prior to paying for your cruise in full). I thought it was odd since  it was past the final due date and I also had a receipt showing the cruise was paid in full back on Nov 7, 2022. I panicked and just paid it in fear that they would do exactly what I've read here. I guess I'm happy I did, but I'm still not sure how I'm going to attempt to get the $87.24 refunded.  I cringe thinking about spending hours on the phone trying to explain such a simple IT error. It took us hours just to get all our dining for 9 guests set up since the app only allows you to set up for 8 people on one reservation. Erg!!  

Great point. How much is your time worth? Some people will say, "But it is the principle of the matter."

You could spend more hours trying to fix this and maybe still not get it resolved.

I wish I was wise enough to say what you should do. I am not.

Maybe take all your paperwork, scan it, and send an email to corporate with the scanned attachments. At least you will have proof of documentation with dates should you pursue this later.

Take all of the paperwork to guest services onboard and maybe get an OBC?

3 minutes ago, dboff123 said:

Just be sure that the credit card was over charged.  Call the C&A # 800.526.9723 and you may get better service.

During the pandemic I was getting minor credits to my CC and had no idea.  Contacted Royal and they did not want to be bothered, so I gave up.  So, I think that I'm on the + side of the ledger.  One credit that I distinctly remember was for .30 cents.

28 minutes ago, nelblu said:

It must be spreading to Continental Europe.  It seems in Paris, France, there was a Miss France beauty contest, and 3 ladies are suing the pageant and sponsor that the judges placed more on appearance (beauty) than other factors.  Wonder why they call it a Beauty Contest.😊

Oh its getting just as bad in the UK. No common sence and its always someone elses fault. But back to the OP should be some liability by RCL and a good will gesture.

Thanks nellbu and Engineroom Snipe. I'll try the C&A number. If not successful, I'll ask my husband to visit Guest Services on board. 😆 I realize the "it's the principal" logic, but my time & sanity may prevail. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 3:33 AM, nelblu said:

I for one would not eat any loss of moneys.  I would argue for any OBC or refund for any losses.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:12 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I wouldnt just accept rcls apology. What about any cost you may have incurred and the stress of it all. I am not saying sue them till their eyes bleed but should at least offer to cover any extra costs and some compensation for stress and time. 

But glad all sorted for you. 

Thank you for your advice.  Yes, was definitely stressed seeing our cruise gone from our upcoming cruises with no explanation.  Glad that the IT glitch was fixed and no more auto cancellations! Waiting for response for OBC.

Not cancelled but I had them charge me

a $400 excursion SIX TIMES. That was the biggest headache because it added an extra 2k on my credit card. It wasn’t anything on my end either. I booked online and saw the charges later. They weren’t very apologetic about it. This was during the covid cancellations too so I spent a total of 12 hours on the phone over the course of two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely happened to me.

I called in and had crown and anchor make an account for my 5 year old daughter.   Then asked them to add the account number to my upcoming sailing.  I then emailed the crown and anchor number to my TA so she could add it on her files.

Next day cruise was gone.

Royal and my TA both agreed "someone" repriced my cruise the day before.    My TA said she didn't touch it, that the C&A guy must have done it.  Royal said my TA did it.

Either way one of them "repriced" my cruise which had been totally paid in full for months.

The new price, made a balance due and since we were past final payment day the computer deleted my reservation.

Even better, someone else booked my cabin before I noticed it.

Ship was full.

It was spring break week.

Royal promised me a room on another ship leaving from another city, but I was going to have to pay last minute airfare..... spring break week.  6K for the 4 of us.   

I lost it. Insisted they fix this.

I don't know what they did to the person who bought my room after me, but magically i got it back the day before the cruise.

Edited by RCCL Fan
  • Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 8:28 AM, John&LaLa said:

Stress reimbursement, seriously. 🤔

Good luck with that

Agreed, I would have loved stress compensation for the times that Royal have chartered out our sailing and cancelled our cruise, or moved our ship to a different part of the world after we booked, or even sent our ship for a dry dock and turned our cabin into 2 cabins so the cabin we booked no longer existed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I called in and had crown and anchor make an account for my 5 year old daughter.   Then asked them to add the account number to my upcoming sailing.  I then emailed the crown and anchor number to my TA so she could add it on her files.

Royal and my TA both agreed "someone" repriced my cruise the day before.    My TA said she didn't touch it, that the C&A guy must have done it.  Royal said my TA did it.

Either way one of them "repriced" my cruise which had been totally paid in full for months.

The new price, made a balance due and since we were past final payment day the computer deleted my reservation.

Ship was full.

Royal promised me a room on another ship leaving from another city, but I was going to have to pay last minute airfare..... spring break week.  6K for the 4 of us.   

I don't know what they did to the person who bought my room after me, but magically i got it back the day before the cruise.

Wow!!! Glad that it worked out!

On 1/20/2023 at 5:51 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Oh its getting just as bad in the UK. No common sence and its always someone elses fault. But back to the OP should be some liability by RCL and a good will gesture.

Hello,

I don't think there's any such thing as 'common sense' any more.

I blame call centres that, if they don't employ muppets, certainly turn them out. These individuals have to follow a 'decision tree' script whose 'common sense' answer is often on a different leg and not showing on the screen.

Regards,

Cublet

11 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Ship was full.

I would go absolutely bonkers if it happened to me, especially close to sail date and around the holidays.

11 hours ago, nelblu said:

I would go absolutely bonkers if it happened to me, especially close to sail date and around the holidays.

Trust me  --- everyone in my office heard me yelling on the phone.

It was several years ago,   we survived.  ha!

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Ship was full.

So sorry that happened to you too. So stressful!  After our cruise got cancelled again the 2nd time with no notice or explanation, I lost it too insisting they investigate and find out the cause of the cancellations.  Glad that it worked out for your family vacation:)

22 hours ago, TeamCan said:

So sorry that happened to you too. So stressful!  After our cruise got cancelled again the 2nd time with no notice or explanation, I lost it too insisting they investigate and find out the cause of the cancellations.  Glad that it worked out for your family vacation:)

Yeah it was like 4 years ago.   but hearing your experience brought it all back.

All these stories of bad behavior from Royal have me rethinking booking with them.

unfortunate as my company has a rewards portal that offers a $1000 US gift card for Royal cruises that I qualify for and was thinking if selecting. I don't need more “stuff” but don’t  think I want 1K in restaurant gift cards.